American MilSim
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

Silicone Spray

The way it is describing, yes you spray into the feed hole but honestly I would not do that. You would have oily bbs which could cause issues with your hopup. The silicone should not damage the hop up but until you get all of the oil even it could cause your bbs to not hop correctly. Also it will be a dust and dirt magnet which would defeat the whole reason to lube your mags in the first place, and then the grit could start to tear your hopup bucking over time much more than just normal wear.

The way it is describing, yes you spray into the feed hole but honestly I would not do that. You would have oily bbs which could cause issues with your hopup. The silicone should not damage the hop up but until you get all of the oil even it could cause your bbs to not hop correctly. Also it will be a dust and dirt magnet which would defeat the whole reason to lube your mags in the first place, and then the grit could start to tear your hopup bucking over time much more than just normal wear.

That's good to know; I used to put a small drop into the feed to help keep the bb's lubed all the way through firing; didn't consider the hop-up impact.

For Future Reference: What they are referring to is the recommendation of using some spare BBs and just running them through the mags. Lube it while you are breaking it in and let the oil soak in before ever using it in your gun. Basically you load the BBs and then just release them outside of your gun. Kinda like emptying un-used BBs from mags after a game.

A similar process is recommended for some real steel magazines. It works out the stiffness of the springs. I know someone who has a bunch of dummy rounds just for that purpose. Something like 120 rounds of each caliber to break in many at once.

Maybe just buy a small amount of cheap seamless BBs and a cheap speed loader and use them as your break-in allotment. Though avoid bios for that...

Sorry didn't explain well did I... Forgot which forum I was on...

Basically what they seem to be suggesting (whether intentionally or not) is the basic process of:

-De-Burr the mag. That is open it up and remove anything that could possibly catch the follower.

-Load and unload the mag a few times while lubricating it.

-Redo the de-burring steps and clean the entire mag removing the oil after the mag has had time to set for a little bit of time. Such as an hour.

Now this process is meant more for cheap lower quality controlled metal magazines. Most higher end magazines will not require it and for (Most) Poly magazines you don't need to use the lubricant. These you do given they are, admittedly high quality, plastic and not polymer.