American MilSim

PRAISE and a Question about single shot only

I think it's a good idea - I shoot semi-auto most of the time already.

As long as the players comply, this should really increase the value of squad automatic weapons. 

What I'd like to see next is a class of heavy MGs. But we'll probably never get there...too risky

Land nav, JP? That would be great!

I agree. Hosing an area target and hitting 'downed' players is more of a paintball/speedball tactic. ;)

I'm a longtime former paintball player and 5+ year airsoft veteran. I've got to say I've been overshot more and shot more leaving play in airsoft than I ever was in paintball. Sorry, guys, but that's just my experience. YMMV.

If you use your rifle-style AEG like a support weapon, I already don't want to play with you. 100% in support of AMS and the semi-auto rule.

My opinion on the OPs original quesiton about needing to modify all AEGs is that AMS games are not the only events that I play at through out the year. I'm all for trying this out, but I wouldn't modify my weapon simply because AMS said so. As someone who doesn't have fifteen AEGs at my disposal like some of you cats, ( :D ) it just wouldn't be feasable.

I played my first Semi Auto only game this weekend.  It was a lot of fun, and the rounds were still being slung fairly heavily.  We limited outselves to 500 rounds for each player, but sharing was reasonable.  I left the field with most of a midcap remaining after sharing rounds out to others.  And we should also remember, it's Riflemen weapons that are limited.  I.e. M4's Ak's and varying assault or battle rifles. HMG LMG and SMG's are still allowed to be Full auto.  Personally one of my first secondary weapons was the Skorpion, so there is still full auto when people get too close, you are just limited to a very short magazine. lol  As for modding the gun... I think I'm just going to get one of those old fashioned clip folders with the fold over clips and tape or light glue it as suggested.  Should end up looking something like this. _I_  Clearance shouldn't be an issue and I'll notice if I hit it on accident.  Personally I agree with the like on semi auto, only time I really feel the need to Full Auto is at a fleeing target that I can't rightly get a bead on.  Probably not a useful post, but I hope it helps.

From what I've read, submachine guns, such as the Skorpion in your example, are also limited to only semi-automatic fire. Otherwise, riflemen could just carry submachine guns and use them instead of battle rifles. This isn't Real World so your skorpion and my AK are both firing the same 6 mm projectile. Install the same spring as I have in my AK, substitute a long enough tight bore barrel and screw on a mock suppressor on your skorpion and our guns will have almost exactly the same range and effectiveness. Yet, under the interpretation stated above, you can fire your submachine gun on full auto whereas I am limited to firing on semi-automatic only.

We'll need an official word from someone in AMS but that's the way I read the rule.

From what I've read, submachine guns, such as the Skorpion in your example, are also limited to only semi-automatic fire. 

You are correct, sir.  The rules are very blatant, IE 

Squad Support Weapons (SSW) MAY operate in FULL -AUTO Mode but  NOT shoot in excess of 30 round per second.

A. A squad support weapon is classified as an M249, M60, MG36, RPK, PKM, MG42 or any "Squad Automatic Weapon" either currently or formerly adopted as a military weapon.

SMGs are not support weapons, obviously, and must be fired on semi automatic.  I don't understand where Steellear's SMG interpretation came from, but it is incorrect.

Will players be disciplined for firing on full auto to correct a misalignment of the cut-off lever?

The cutoff lever in my VFC has the occasional tendency to stick on semi and will not continue firing unless I switch to full auto and fire a short burst.

Should this occur in the field, can I switch to full auto and shoot 3-4 rounds at the ground or a tree then switch back to semi and continue to engage?

Thanks,

Jaws

Please read previous comments about that issue. I believe you just use a weaker type of battery. So DO NOT use a 11.1 Lipo. Use 9.6 or 8.4 and you should be fine.

Please read previous comments about that issue. I believe you just use a weaker type of battery. So DO NOT use a 11.1 Lipo. Use 9.6 or 8.4 and you should be fine.

I'm sorry but this comment makes no sense. Why? Why? Why would you want to go with a weaker battery to try to ensure the complete cycling of your gearbox? Compression jams are much more likely to happen with a weaker battery seeing as they cannot cycle the gearbox as quickly therefore giving more opportunity for the trigger to be released before the gearbox has made a full cycle, therefore increasing the probability of some kind of mechanical lock up requiring the gun to be fired on full auto or worse causing a compression jam that even a high powered battery could not clear.

An 11.1v lipo will give you great trigger response and last much longer than any NiCd or a NiMH battery of the same Mah rating. Check the RC car/plane/boat sites for some EPIC deals on lipo batteries and chargers.

Although I understand this rule and agree with the theory behind it, I believe this rule could potentially cause the following problems

AEG's have a mechanical limitation on how fast they can fire (ie, gearbox rotation) whereas P*'s do not. You can limit full auto RPS but not semi-auto RPS. This gives P* owners a clear mechanical advantage. Feathering the trigger, P*'s can reach 20+ RPS when equipped with a SPEED trigger, not possible with AEG's due to motor wind up time.

Semi-automatic is more stressful on AEG electrical components (although this can be mitigated by the use of MOSFETs)

I am not so naive as to think that every single one of the 500+ players at Broken Home is an honest to god player. Just saying it is easier to deny (or even not notice) being hit by a single BB than a burst of 5.

M4/M16 based rifles can be made consistently accurate out to 1000yds or more. You will rarely if ever get 1" groupings out of any Airsoft gun at 100ft let alone @ average event ranges. I feel that the full auto/burst capability made up for the lack of accuracy inherent to the ammo.

I am not saying these things will be an issue, I am just saying that the rule leaves these things open to become an issue. I have still prepared my weapon to handle the new style of play as well as possible and I hope it turns out well! This will not dissuade me from attending AMS events!

Dude 5.56/.223 is capable of reaching a grand but it certianly isnt gonna be out of an m4. A 20" m16, sure its possible but to do it reliably you need HOT loads and bullets with an OAL so long they need to be loaded one at a time. Further, they wont have very desirable ballistics at that range and an average grunt isnt going to be able to thread them in there either. Also im not sure why this is relevant.

As far as an advantage to p*'s...certain guns will always have an advantage depending on the situation. Should we all run combat machines to level the playing field across the board?

personally I believe this to be a great rule, but I wonder if in the future they well allow burst fire by use of mosfets not just feathering the trigger but 3-4 shots with one trigger pull only.