American MilSim
Sign in to follow this  
ttsupra98

Shoulder pads for plate carrier

Looking for a set of shoulder pads for my Banshee, I've got it narrowed down between either the Shellback pads *For* the banshee and the HSGI pads.

Granted the HSGI ones are half the price of the banshee pads I'm leaning more that way, but just wanted people's personal opinions of them first....

What do you guys use/think?

(and if this has been asked before already, just point me in the right direction on the forums)

Thanks!

Guest Specs

I think it's just down to preference. I've heard really good things of the HSGI pads as well. One thing to note is that the HSGI pads are quite wide, which help to better distribute that weight of the PC.  Sisu just got herself a pair, you might talk with her about em!

I have the HSGI pads and I really like them. The ly have the same padding and grip texture on the as the inner part if their SGPB's do.

That being said, I was thinking the same as Specs mentioned about the HSGI pads being wide and helping distribute the weight. This is true only to a point. If I ever run real SAPI plate in my carrier, the straps on my Banshee almost told the shoulder pads in half. For that kind of set up, a thicker foam pad and if the padding were stuffer would help a lot with that.

If you're only going to airsoft with your PC, go for the HSGI especially being cheaper. If you plan to use your PC for Real Steel and wear armor, you might look to the TAG shoulder pads.

I have a banshee and love it. are you not liking the shoulder pads that it came with?

Didn't come with any pads to begin with, just the straps

I have the HSGI pads and I really like them. The ly have the same padding and grip texture on the as the inner part if their SGPB's do.

That being said, I was thinking the same as Specs mentioned about the HSGI pads being wide and helping distribute the weight. This is true only to a point. If I ever run real SAPI plate in my carrier, the straps on my Banshee almost told the shoulder pads in half. For that kind of set up, a thicker foam pad and if the padding were stuffer would help a lot with that.

If you're only going to airsoft with your PC, go for the HSGI especially being cheaper. If you plan to use your PC for Real Steel and wear armor, you might look to the TAG shoulder pads.

And that's what I'm gonna do.

If/when I get plates (which I plan to), I'm only going to use them for resistance training while running. I've no need/use to keep them in my carrier

I have kind of an alternate POV on the shoulder pad issue.  Before I digress, shoulder pads are awesome and there is certainly a legitimate reason to wear them.  My personal vest is a TT Fight Light with stock pads.  

My suggestion if you decide to proceed with this is to make the PC as tight to your body as possible.  I didn't even use the shoulder pads on mine when I ran because it hugged me so well.  If the PC is not tight to your chest, the bouncing (especially on your shoulders) will beat the everloving hell out of your back and shoulders and can cause injury.  Be very careful with weighted PC runs.  

I wear trainer plates all the time regardless, so my vest is probably set up differently than someone who only has the plastic shells/nothing.  When you add 10-15 pounds to your vest you will probably have to rig up your vest differently as well.  Think of it as the difference between hiking with a pack full of clothes and hiking with a pack full of rocks - heavier packs need to run tighter to your body and more weight will be shifted to the hip belt.

Hope that helps.  YMMV!

The shellback tactical banshee shoulder pads go really well with most of the plate carrier vest. Although they are only available in one color, they are really good at helping the person carrying some extra weight. They usually help in weight distribution that increases the amount of weight that can be lifted by the person wearing them.