Jump to content
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About refuge

  • Rank
    New to American MilSim
  • Birthday 08/13/1980

Contact Methods

  • MSN
  • Website URL
  • Skype

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    St Louis, MO
  • Interests
    Airsoft, Cars, Computers. Many other things too.
  1. Thanks Danarchy! Always glad to hear a positive spin, and appreciation! And yes, The vehicles definitely a new dynamic to the games, but when set up right, they are far from invincible. Our team has -always- tried to make our vehicles fair, not just follow the rules. This is why all of our turret armor has always been front facing only, and always 100% opaque. We love utilizing the vehicles, but we don't want to be juggernauts, just a force to be reckoned with. One that makes our team-members happy to see us, and the opposing team step up their game.
  2. I posted this up on facebook, so it's not written with the usual shortcuts I would take when talking to airsofters. So let me tell you about my memorial day weekend. Our airsoft team is generally centered around the use of vehicles. In preparation for this, we had decided, several months in advance, to swap the motor on our group 1978 Dodge Powerwagon (named Miss Matched) from a carbureted Chrysler 318, to a modern Chrysler EFI Magnum 360 from a 1997 Dodge RAM. we started work roughly 3 months before the event. The event check-in for vehicles was Friday, starting at noon. We planned to leave Thursday to get down there, and have all day friday to do whatever we needed. Saturday and Sunday (A week before the event), we worked all day on the powerwagon, getting all of the electrical sorted out. Though we had listened to the motor run, and watched it start with relative ease when we bought it, we had never had it run inside the actual truck up to this point. Saturday we finally had everything to the point where we could at least test fire it (Motor mounted, and attached to transmission, wiring hooked up, exhaust.. mostly in place). Finally, we hooked up the battery, and turned the key. The requisite 'click' of the solenoid could be heard.... And nothing else. The motor didn't even try to turn. A quick diagnostic showed us the starter was toasted. Solenoid wasn't extending the gear out properly. Fine. Sunday we hit the yards for a 'new' starter, as well as some O2 sensors and bungs to get the exhaust finalized. head back to the truck, and get those things in place. Attempt #2 to start. Engine cranks, but won't run. Diag 1 finds us no fuel. testing of relays shows fuel pump works fine. Diag 2 shows no spark also. This leads us to believe the Crank Positioning Sensor may be bad. Transmission bell housing had to be modified to fit the CPS previously. As it turns out, we did not do this properly, and we crunched the sensor between the motor and transmission. Do what we can for the night, and button up. Monday we get a CPS sensor from the junkyard. Good news is: cheap part, and this one works. Bad news is, we have to remove the engine, and re-modify the transmission to take it. We remove all transmission bolts, remove mounts, and hoist the motor out of the way. We grind the spot for the sensor out, and test the fit of the sensor. Get everything right, and button everything back up. (At this point, it still has open header only for exhaust). a quick attempt at a test fire, and it turns over and fires up. We quickly shut it off before it truly starts to run, because it is now 1am. We pack up everything, and head home. Tuesday is spent buttoning every little thing we can, finishing exhaust, and verifying everything else. running at idle shows a coolant leak from the cap. New cap fixes the problem (Thankfully). Miss Matched is as ready as she is going to get. At this point, most of us are getting about 4 hours of sleep a night, myself included Wednesday, John (Shadow) goes to get the rental truck for towing the Powerwagon down to Wyandotte. Gets a flat tire. I spend most of the night working on getting my (Required for OP) CB radio and antenna installed in my truck. Thursday is spent running around, and getting as much stuff ready as I can. Get to bed around 2am. I get back up at 7am Friday we get everything loaded in the AM, and head out. About the time we hit Rolla, MO (A cursed place for us) my truck, Dante/The Warpig (1987 Toyota Pickup) decides it wants a nap. Some quick troubleshooting on the side of the road, and we think it's an ignition problem. Seems like the ignitor chip is potentially dead. make a deal with a friend in STL to get me a 'new' one out to me in Rolla that night. In the meantime, I try a $30 hack using a GM ignitor and coil. No joy. A little more diagnosis finds that the distributor isn't spinning at all. take off the valve cover, and the cams aren't turning either. a quick pull on the chain shows why: Timing chain has snapped. Right at this moment, a random passerby in another Toyota Pickup drives by, and offers to help. he's off to help a friend of his pull and swap a transmission, and offers up his driveway for some possible triage or weekend storage. We take him up on the offer, and we remove the trailer from the rental truck, and use the tow strap to get me to his house. I run to Autozone, and buy: Timing cover gasket, timing chain, water pump gasket, RTV, headgasket, head bolts, all new fluids, timing light, drain pan, oil catch pan. At this point, it is 4pm. I get back to the truck, drain oil, drain coolant, remove radiator, remove fan, remove water pump pulley, remove oil pan, remove power steering pump, remove alternator, remove all brackets, crank pulley, water pump, oil pump, timing cover, distributor. Turns out, most of the timing chain guides bolts worked their way loose, and one bolt came completely out, hit the sprocket, and snapped the chain, causing my failure. Found the chewed up bolt in the oil pan. At least we know what the failure was. I set the crank and cam to Top Dead Center, re-tighten all the guide bolts, and put on the chain. I spend the next several hours re-assembling the entire front end of the motor. As I hit the end, it is nearly 3am in the morning. a quick assembly and a test fire shows: we have ignition, and the engine runs. Thank God!. Spend another hour actually buttoning up everything up (getting timing correct, tuning carb, testing cooling) we roll back out at 4am, with a 4 hour drive still to go. This means our arrival will be around 8am, whereas the last check in is at 7am. we make time as best we can. Truck is occassionally overheating, but this turns out to be a grounding problem, not actual overheating. I roll in with my truck around 8:15am. AMS staff, and our team command has made allowances for us to miss the meetings, and play anyways due to unforseen circumstances. hot damn! Something goes our way for a minute! I'm wiped out, At this point I've not had 8 hours of sleep a night in 3 weeks, and have in fact not had more than 5 hours of sleep in the past ~48 hours. Set up tent, unpack things from truck, prep truck to go out into the field, hand keys over to another potential driver, and crash out as best I can. The heat and extreme humidity keeps me from getting any real rest, but it's better than nothing. Wake up about 2 hours later, get dressed, and take my place in the drivers seat of the warpig. Bad ass day of airsofting ensues. My PKM overheats the jumper cable, we fix it quickly and move on. Eventually, the PKM goes down again, and it turns out there was a short in the wiring, and the motor has melted. Swap it out with the M240B, and move on. More bad-ass Airsoft continues. Saturday night, just as I'm about to go to sleep, a huge storm comes through, and they pull everyone from the camp to the 'solid' buildings. Turns out, the storm doesn't hit as they thought, and we all go back to camp. Then the storm hits, and my paranoia of the rain collapsing my tent keeps me awake all night. Sleep comes in fits. I get maybe 4 hours of sleep. Sunday comes around, and I am beat. My heel is messed up (Has been for months), and I am still exhausted. trucks are grounded due to mud, and smaller play area (A lot of people wussed out completely because of the storm, and left, causing them to shrink the play area. I conclude they are weak). Rest of team heads out on foot, I decided to stay back, and pack everything for our departure. Just finished packing right before the team comes back from the field. Team did awesome, sad I missed it, but do not regret it. We do the raffle thing, finish packing up the rest of the camp, and head out. On the road, we get to about Stanton, MO, and I see a tire veer off from the trailer, and start following behind. We hope this is one of the random tires we transported on the trailer, and not a trailer tire. Our hopes are dashed. we chase the tire into a field, and drag it back. Every lug stud in the trailer hub has sheered off, and the wheel came bounding away at ~65 MPH. Since the trailer can not handle the weight of the powerwagon with only one tire on the side, we have a dilemma: what do we do? Do we abandon the Powerwagon on the side of the road for the night, and then drive back tomorrow after we can fix the trailer? Do we drive the powerwagon to a 'safespot', and come back and get it? abandon the trailer, and tow the powerwagon with the tow strap for 4 hours? Do we drive the powerwagon from Stanton, MO to St Louis?. we decided on the last option. Mike saddles up into the truck, and we head out, hoping and praying that she holds out, or at least that the transmission/transfer case doesn't explode, nor that a tire blows out, as we no longer have a spare tire for it, and these tires are old. We get on the highway, and everything seems okay. We keep driving. A couple stops at gas stations to fill up (no gas gauge for the Powerwagon), and to stretch our legs, and wake up some by walking around. We hit Cuba, MO. We are only about 45 miles out, and past out cursed area of Rolla, MO. We might make it! We're in the home stretch! We're Almost there! We're wrong. 3 minutes past the rest stop in Cuba, The Warpig stops again. Won't stay running. Barely turns over. Pull over on the side of the road. he has no oil. Oil plug came out of the oil pan some ways back, and I sprayed my truck's life-blood all over the highway (and the Powerwagon). At this point, we no longer have an option. we pull the most important things from the back of my truck, All of Sam's gear, my tent, my clothes, my airsoft guns, tools, etc, and load them into the Powerwagon. I sadle up in the powerwagon, and we abandon my little toyota to the Gods of the highway. Saddened and demoralized, we drive on. At this point, Lady luck finally decides we've had enough, and gets us home with no more issues. Even driving down highway 141 is uneventful as we hit every single stop signal at green, and are passed by a cop. We pull into our place(s), unpack what we can, and die out. it is 3am on Monday morning. Monday, I get several phone calls, each waking me from the needed rest I desperately need. Some from my bank verifying that I had spent random amounts of money in random locations across the state. Some were spam calls, etc. I drag out of bed around 10:30-11:00am. fart around the house, and decide I will have at least one day of success. Sam and I head out to V-Stock (an awesome geek store) and chesterfield mall, and also have 'breakfast'. We get back to my place, and I crash out again about an hour, before getting woken up, and John's dad kicks my rear to go rescue the warpig. (Still so very tempted to let it sit there). grab the tow bar, and some tools. Jump in the Tundra, and drive out to Cuba again. hook up the tow bar, and tow it back home. once again, it is 1am, and I work tomorrow. On the side, it turns out that no one is open that has the lug studs for the trailer, as they are all closed for memorial day. Tuesday, John takes the day off to get the trailer fixed, and goes to a trailer store 3 times to get the studs. They can't find them. Finally he makes it to a place we've had work on that trailer before, and manages to get new studs for it, and even mount them in the hub for us. I get home, and buy yet another 5qts of oil, a new drain plug, some Lucas Stabilizer oil, and new spark plugs. I pull the old sparkplugs out, squirt some Lucas oil into the plug holes, put the remainder in the engine, and then fill him back up with oil. Then I remove the skid plate, and hand crank the engine over about 30 times. Then I disconnect the coil, and crank the engine until it builds oil pressure. I plug the coil back in, and crank him over. It fights for a few minutes. Runs for a couple seconds, and dies again. It takes about 2-3 minutes of cranking, and he fires up and stays running. Runs smooth, but has an occassional miss (Plugs are likely foiled at this point, and will be replaced). This is the end of the adventure. Everything is back home, where it belongs, and back to at least moving under their own power. I have decided that I now understand why people schedule a vacation and just sit at home.
  3. Bump. I'm not trying to be a bother, and I know you guys are already busy enough as it is, but I would really like to get my POV applications submitted so I don't have to worry about them. Time is growing short for me and my team, and I would like to get this all taken care of before I get to busy at work.
  4. Am I missing something? How have the other POVs registered and gotten approval before now? Are they using the old application from last year? I'll be more than happy to send these along as soon as I know how, as I do still have last year's applications as well.
  5. So, Having attended Broken Home II and III, I can state that, during safety and rule briefings, people were being told that medicing inside vehicles was not allowed. However, even during those years, the rules were pretty much identical to this years. (At least BH3 was). the statement 'normal medic rules apply' was the same then as it is now, as well as the ability to medic inside buildings. In fact, I have a post I made last year about this very thing, because people were calling it cheating because of what was said in the briefings vs the rules. In my opinion, the biggest problem with the OPs I have seen is the last minute or 'on-the-fly' rules changes. (Last year, for BH3, the vehicle rules were changed a week out from the OP, causing massive problems with keeping things straight). The only thing I would ask, is that, if there are going to be changes to the rules, that they be solidified BEFORE the registration of the event, and not changed right before the OP. Also, to make sure that what the rules say in hard copy match what is said in the briefings, so that we don't have this confusion. Also, TimmyHorton, do NOT throw a grenade inside a vehicle's cover. We had that happen more than once last year, and had at least one person hurt from it. Those things hurt when they hit you in the fact. I guarantee you will start a fight if you do that. (Also, you are not allowed within 10 feet of the POV anyways, and touch kills no longer count. if you wanna disable the vehicle, use a HWS rocket into the back of the vehicle and that will also kill everyone, per the rules or the front, which disables it, and requires everyone to either go back to FOB or disembark. Thus allowing you to kill them all at the time of exiting.)
  6. JP, I'm missing the application in 'step B'. It says submit PoV Application, but where is the application itself, so I can fill it out? If it's the same one from last year, I can just re-use that, but if it's any different (ie: allows you to designate whether it's a transport or gun truck), then I need that updated version. Either way, there isn't a link to the PoV Application (That I can find) On any of the documents that reference the need to fill it out.
  7. Can someone give me the link to the POV application for this year? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I have a copy of last year's application, but can't seem to find this years.
  8. Could someone please send me the link to this year's POV application? I've not found a link anywhere in the ruleset, or registration pages. I'm sure I'm just missing it somehow...
  9. Love the video. I was driving the Black pickup that was following you. Consequently, I swear I was much closer to you than that. awesome video guys!
  10. The only time I know of that it was 'everyone against CDF' was with the night game, and that has no bearing on the storyline. (In any sort of DAM, which that was, Factions do not count. The P-DAM had no bearing on story, and CDF was fighting for CoST in this instance. That being said, At no time did I personally ever see CDF flip flop. They did fire on our vehicles at the beginning of the day, without provocation from anyone in said vehicles, but it's possible that some of the troops on foot not associated with our squad were firing on CDF when they came rolling in without prior announcement. Situation of bad place, bad time I think. And no one said that CDF couldn't have armor. I said that I personally believed Lexan panes of 100% coverage was a cheap way to become invincible. (Real Steel armor is just that. Steel. You can't see through it.) That's something between you guys, your CO, and your own conscience. Our squad specifically decided to -not- use Lexan panes as armor plating on gun mounts because we thought it would be too cheap. Everything else on all of the vehicles I had no problem with.
  11. Daihl, I am glad to hear you disliked that turret, and in fact I agree with your statements about the gunports, and viewports (Something our larger vehicle was planned to have, but couldn't due to time constraints). The 8 Vehicles you guys brought were definitely a huge force multiplier, and probably seemed unfair at times, but then again, things like the suburbans are most troop carriers, and only effective when they have enough cover to deploy. Like I said, I didn't have a problem with any of the players, just that one vehicle.
  12. I personally didn't have any troubles with people on CoST knowing we were on their team. At least, as far as I know, there was no friendly fire on my vehicle. I do think it would be a good idea to get each team together, so they can see the PoVs that are on their team, well before things start. I also think that AMS probably needs to have a longer time for people to get through things like training on Saturday. We were told on the forums that when we arrived very late friday night after briefing was closed, that we should still find an admin, and have them go over the rules then. When we did arrive (me at 8pm, rest of my squad at 10, then midnight), that briefing was closed, and sorry, but go away, and wait till early morning. This wasn't very well handled. Also, since we had 2 PoVs, it was imperative that we get a good solid briefing.
  13. I would personally prefer to see those types of teams be utilized as a force balancer, but not be allowed to change sides whenever. That does make it difficult. But then again I only fought alongside CDF once the entire weekend, which probably shows how spread thin CoST were. Them having a lot of vehicles was a little overpowering, but they also had the money to pull it off. (And they obviously spent a lot of time and money building and prepping them.) 8 vehicles x $75 is $600, just for entry of the vehicles. Plus gas to get them down there (I saw a semi trailer there that pulled them. Not cheap). I have some gripes about their vehicle setups, but as a member of a team that has more than one vehicle to bring, it's not an easy thing to do. We spent -month- of working till 3am to ready our vehicles for this event, and that was just with 2 vehicles. On their side of things, I guarantee that their prep time was higher than most of the other 'regular' players. (Not including people like PL leaders, CO, XO, Admin, etc). They probably could have been better used to be split up, instead of being one massive force of vehicles.
  • Create New...