American MilSim
Sign in to follow this  
Airdragon

PMC roles in MilSim

My first introduction to PMC teams and those roles played in MilSim Ops, was in the "other" venue, in the "other Invading war scenario".

On the surface, I thought the inclusion of such things, on the realistic side (even if what transpired, was a tad unrealistic ), and added an interesting flare to the events.

As we all know, real world PMC application is big business, especially in places of far-off regonal conflicts.

PMC Corporations contract "jobs" out, such as protection services, policing areas in civil unrest, and much, much more.

From what I can gather on PMC Corps, they hire ex-military, Law Enforcement, and trained professionals. Professionalism seems to be a key factor there, as well as experience and training.

What I gather is... a single PMC, gets "hired" to pull duty or do a sanctioned "job", with-in the scope of what the base needs of the Corporations are.

I can't see individual pay... being too much more than what the standard military pays it's soldiers, Perhaps a tad more... as I also don't see PMC Corporations, providing all the benifits and housing needs that the military does.

I was wondering... though, why individual "PMC" operators, I see in OP vids, and other media often exclaim: " we are not getting paid to do this, or... we aren't getting paid enough for this CRAP!"

Is this just a " generic" attitude possessed by those playing such a role in MilSim OPs, or does it have some basis in reality?

In this discussion though...

I'd like to find out from other MilSim Operators, exactly what makes PMC roles, so exciting to them.

I'd like to know:

- On What basis, would you participate as a PMC in any given Event?

- What makes that role "fun", or more appealing than others?

Also, in the afore mentioned "other event" , we had certain props an daids, in the form of hard currency, or items equivelent ( like diamonds? ) ... but even though these objects existed, and were "won, or paid" to PMCs...

There didn't seem to be any real "use" for such aids was there? Or did I miss something?

I'd also like to find out... if those "money" props, are important in any shape or form to those whom participate in PMC roles in a MilSim OP.

This whole discussion, is more about researching possibilities and future application of knowledge gained by these ideas and discussions, so any shared information would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to what anyone has to say on this matter.

Thank you.

I have not played a PMC but from what I have observed, many view the role as a day of playing "hit man". In this other game, the PMC group turned into a self appointed hit squad, only accepting those "contracts" that involved killing high value targets. I have spoke with other players that have a similar view of PMC or "mercenary" units. I do realize that once in a blue moon, a privately contracted unit may make a high profile arrest or termination but this is very rare. As you stated, most PMC units are going to be conducting "sustaining operations" such as protection, transport and policing. Personally, neither the hit squad or realistic interpretation of PMC units interests me as I lean towards the reconnaissance operations.

I've played the role a few times and each time was somewhat different.

Once it was more like what DP described. We pretty much went around and took out high value targets the entire OP.

Another time it was more like we were a small unit of SF. We did about everything and were kept pretty mobile the whole OP. We took out only maybe one or two HVT's, retrieved and protects HVT's, helped defend key locations on the AO, ran distraction/diversions for our employers, we even went and recovered key items.

I think one thing is common in the mind I most that play or want to play a PMC, and that's the rouge or somewhat 'lone wolf' aspect that their PMC squad will have. In my personal opinion though, the PMC role isn't truely realized without some sort of money system and being able to actually seek out contracts they're no different than any other player on the AO. I understand that many players don't like the idea of PMC's in MilSim due to the possibility of switching sides back and forth during the OP. While I can totally see where they're coming from I personally don't see it as a problem. Through proper communication throughout the command structure all players could be kept abreast to where the PMCs' loyalties were. There is also a risk that a PMC would take doing such things and that's loosing the trust of all the other players on the AO to the point that everyone was an enemy. You have to play the PMC role smart. Not just book smart, but with common sense and some foresight concerning your actions.

I think Tusk needs to share his point of view and opinions on this subject.

PMC's have been used as hit squads for the CIA. Link

In general PMC's get paid very well for their services. More than the military. From eHow:

"Because many of the positions needed in Iraq and Afghanistan directly support military or intelligence operations, the need for contractors with valid security clearances is high in the Middle Eastern combat zones, and workers with security clearances may earn the highest salaries in the private sector. The average salary for private contractors is $73,961 as of May 2009, according to Defense News. The average private government contractor with a security clearance earns about $20,000 more each year than a government employee with the same clearance."

Taking what we see them do in the real world we can shape that into airsoft.

I've never been a part of a PMC at a major op. To me the PMC's should do the following for a lump sum and then get bonuses for certain activities. Not get paid for each job:

• Guarding CO/XO
  • Checkpoint security
  • Troop support for their faction
  • Assassinations
  • Sent to take over key checkpoints

While checkpoint security would suck it opens up the main forces to stay on the offensive. PMC's are all about support.

I would play because its a non standard role and you get to wear other uniforms. Keeps things fresh.

@ nasty...

Good points there.

@ metal... I am looking forward to Tusk putting in his ideas on it!

I'm kinda like nasty on that one... PMCs normally can't just "switch sides" , they get lump-sum contracted, and being professional minded, wouldn't break contract during thier contracted time.

Good input though from everyone, keep it comming!

Keep in mind, I don't think in real life PMC's follow the same rules of engagement as military forces due so they've got some additional leeway when it comes to handling situations they need to be involved.

I can't see them switching sides, they're all ex-military/law/etc and brutally faithful to the US and it's cause. They also LOVE money lol

Also in real life, those PMC corps make assloads of money, way more then any regular military personnel make which from what I've read puts them at odds with the soldiers. They also don't pay taxes on that first $90 or 99,000 they make lol

Having played this role at Broken Home (and enjoyed it greatly) and seen it played by other groups in the past. I would say it adds a fun element to the game with the money system as long as the group taking on this role has a high degree of proffesionalism. I have seen the PMC thing used as a wild card, where they would flip flop sides, this is my least favorite game mechanic.

We played the role with dedication, while trying to rake in as much cash as possible. We were completely dedicated to Top as our CO and were willing to take on jobs that didnt always provide pay, to gain the opportunity to make money later.

I completely agree with some of the prior statements, that there is no realism in PMC's switching sides that makes no sense and makes for a crappy game for players and commanders, also it forces you to just tend towards shooting them on sight rather than get backstabbed once they have flipped on you once.

Well, lets explore this currency option a bit...

I think I dislike it's only use as a way to bribe participants, even team based to do things, and that is it's only function. But for the life of me... I cannot seem to come up with any other reason to use currency in during milsim scenarios.

Anyone have any ideas there? Especially if you specialize in participating as a PMC at times. what would all those greenbacks floating around be used for?

When you have a CIA you will have PMC's. Contract workers give plausible deniability. No ties back to whoever is pulling strings. That is the real world use. Only here in the last 10-15 years have 2 things happen 1 the name PMC came about. The UN and the USA view merc's are illegal thus the name PMC. 2 PMC's being used as support and aid to government agencies. This brought them into the mainstream. Now PMC's are here to stay. With more kids far to soft to do any military service. Real people stand up and say pay me I'll do it.

I've written a few papers about the role of Private Contractors in my political science classes. Blackwater in particular has a really bad reputation for being crazy gun toting cowboys that have, until very recently, operated with diplomatic immunity in Iraq. They get fired and shipped home with an unbelievable severance package for the same offenses that would get a US soldier court marshaled and imprisoned. What's really disturbing is that most of them are hired on by different companies and back in country in about a year. They get paid outrageous salaries for which they pay no taxes.

On the flip side of that coin they get paid to do the jobs that the military and other legitimate governmental institutions will not do because they are too controversial and because of the need for plausible deniability. However, 95% of the work they do is legitimate security work that the military doesn't have enough warm bodies to perform themselves. This would include work like checkpoint security, personal protection of high value individuals, convoy security and training local police forces not only in marksmanship and weapons manipulation but in police techniques like patrolling, conducting interviews and interrogations, crime scene investigation and corrections techniques.

They often work closely with locals as well. One company in particular called Triple Canopy working in Iraq in 2004 would routinely hire local gunmen to sit in a swiveling bassboat seat man the unprotected PKMs mounted on the roof of their unarmored Chevy Avalanches they used in convoy security. These locals are paid very little and are not paid salaries because most don't live long enough to collect an annual salary. Modern Private Security Companies call themselves that because that's really what they are. While some do allegedly engage in direct action mercenary work (which is illegal under the Geneva Convention), the majority of what they do (or at least what they are PAID to do) is legitimate security work. But that's no fun for an airsoft player is it? I think most of the guys who want to play this role want to be more like Jacob Washbourne. For anyone who hasn't read Fainaru's book I highly recommend it. http://iraqslogger.powweb.com/index.php/post/2364/Media_Focus_on_Contractors_Begins_in_Earnest?PHPSESSID=b155c5eb6418ac653ca2ce675e6fb7f8

As you stated, PMC/PSC have many functions, the most visible being security operations. The less visible are those who actually conduct Combat Operations, in conjunction with SOF.

On a personal level, I'm drawn to that role due to the flexibility provided. You are free to think and act as you see fit, within a more or less defined set of mission parameters.

The job requires a more mature asset, as decisions have to be made quickly and independently from rear echelon leadership. You have to be knowledgeable on many fronts, and you have to adapt to an ever changing environment.

They are in essence the civilian version of SOF, and are classified as special Operations Forces on some levels. Which is why their ranks are comprised mostly of retired operators.