American MilSim
Tusk

Another turd in the Airsoft community located in the North East...

Total necro post. But this dude has been scamming people still. As AMS starts spreading into his coast this fall, he'll be excluded from all the awesome we bring.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MilSim/comments/1gxa7s/john_bartis_of_warwick_ri_is_an_airsoft_scammer/

I only have two names to remember in the Airsoft community and this is one of them. He's going on the Black List. Fucking ASAP.

What two groups is he associated with in that area? I still have some pretty strong connections up there with several field owners, and I am sure they would appreciate this info.

On Facebook he is a member of the Rhode Island Airsoft Play/Trade/Sell Group which has accepted me and allowed me to make comments explaining what has been going on. He's also a member of the Pawtucket Airsoft Page.

He'd hold close the Warwick area.

Yes, I am highly disappointed there are pieces of shit like this in the community. I would have no issue giving Pitt a little travel money next time he in in that area to remind that kid of his doucheness.

I have a shit ton of sky miles just send me the info and I can have Pitt on a plane in less then 24 hours.

Chicken

Tactical

Tusk, lets show him how security forces gets down. Im sure he has some expensive shit that us and a bottle of whiskey could break...treat his car like a posting vehicle, pass his girl around....Or just burn his tinder box to the ground.....Jus sayin....

Someone contacted us and is supposed to be paying a visit. We'll see if they follow through. But Craigslist seems like an awesome place to stir some fun... it's just too bad he shut off his home phone. The number is down.

He's gone quiet over the holiday. Which is alright, I suppose. I have his "girlfriend's" cell phone number that I drop reminders on. She says she'll let him know I'm trying to talk to him. We'll still see what happens.

Well, the gun came back to me. It was broken down for easier shipping, so I had to reassemble.

Straight out the gate, this thing got USED. U-S-E-D. It smells funny. Like gasoline and cigarettes. The upper has scratches from the use. Not necessarily a bad thing, it's bound to happen. But I have learned a lot about John from looking at the state of this weapon.

- He likes to use iron sights. The front sight post is bent backwards slightly when in the upright position. No fancy optics for him?

- The left side of the received has most of the wear and tear that it didn't have before. Probably right handed. :)

- The GBB conversion kit (although missing two very important pieces) is in good condition. So he likes AEG's over GBB's.

So enough with the pseudo-detective work. I got the gun back, but not all of it. He probably lost/broke, misplaced/destroyed, chucked out/smelted down the GBB barrel and chamber and the retaining block on the guide spring rod for the bolt carrier group. So sadly, I'll never be able to use my GBB conversion kit anymore. Which sucks because I got all 5 magazines back with it. And he didn't send me back the AEG Mag either.

So the list of the missing/broken:

- Missing FDE RVG Vertical Grip

- Missing Barrel from Beta Project GBB Conversion

- Missing end of guide spring that holds the spring together with the BCG.

- Missing 1 AEG magazine.

All in all, not bad for having my loot taken from me and returned a year later. That's right. A YEAR LATER! So it's nice just to have an AEG back that I might be able to use. Lessons to be learned from my mistakes are as follows...

- If it sounds too good to be true. IT IS.

- Straight up trades via the internet are bad news because there is no collateral to hold over. Do them face to face if you can.

- Sales via PayPal are best, but DO NOT send payment as a gift.

- Check for prior sales feedbacks though your forums or sales website.

- Do not rely on just one or two photos. Get as many as you can proving they have what they are selling/offering.

- Never discard e-mails or receipts. You may need to enter them as evidence.

Interesting side note I might just interject - be wary of Rhode Island sales/trades in general. On Reddit, I was PM'd by someone who was scammed out of money via PayPal when he was trying to purchase a WE SCAR and some magazines. He saw my post on r/Airsoft and thought he might have been a victim of the same person. After about an hour of searching, I found a 16-18 year old male had requested and then taken payment via Gift on PayPal and never sent his gear. We found the father's information confirmed by the PayPal name and address and got him on the right path to fixing this stupid teen before he becomes a stupid adult. He lives in Providence, 15 minutes from Warwick where my scammer lives. Two separate people, both from Rhode Island who live 15 minutes apart and are sure to deal with each other in their small circle in the North East. I hate to have to generalize all Rhode Islanders because of these two guys, but be cautious and be very thorough when dealing with someone who wants to ship from or requests shipping to Rhode Island.

I hope you all can learn from my mistakes. I'm very lucky the older brother of my scammer did the right thing by correcting his siblings mistake. He is not into our sport at all, but the ramifications that are spilling over from John's scamming were bound to interfere with all their lives. (Mark Sabettis, Jr. is their 12 year old nephew. My police report has him named as my perpetrator. Unbelievable, right?)

Wow! What rough journey. Despite the broken/missing/scratched parts, I'm thrilled to hear you got your item back! I'm also thrilled to hear that the airsoft community in general is helping one another to weed out these guys. Kudos, Tusk!