American MilSim
Tusk

Another turd in the Airsoft community located in the North East...

Hello everyone, my name is Benjamin, or “Tusk†and I’m the graphic designer for American MilSim. I am also a Staff Sergeant in the US Air Force Reserves. I serve as a firearms instructor in CATM at Tinker AFB, OK. I’m posting here today in hopes that I can help smoke out a man who lives in Warwick, Rhode Island who makes it a habit to scam individuals out of their airsoft rifles – then when he’s tracked down, has the audacity to mock his victim over the safety of a telephone line.

On 3 July, I placed an ad on AirsoftRetreat.com in their classifieds section advertising my Magpul PTS Masada (S/N: MPTS08752) with Beta Project GBB Conversion kit, 5 GBB Magazines and al the extra accessories to dress up the Masada like the ACR Rails and Blackout Flash Hider. (View the ad here: http://www.airsoftretreat.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=11177&title=magpul-pts-masada-w-2f-beta-project-gbb-conversion-2c-5-mags&cat=3 )

On the same day, I received e-mail from [email protected] asking if I was looking for any trades.

My response:

“Really only looking to pick up a Celcius CTW. If it's not a CTW, I'm not going to be interested. Sorry.â€

He responded with:

“Your in luck man I have CTW Celcius but not offering mine put way to much $$ in it, I was going to offer a Systema M4 PTW it's like the celcius but only better and more costly. Let me know and I can send pictures. I have four mags and two cylinders red/blue kind. If I wanna offer I'll trade the PTW for a fear trading.

Thanks, Mark Jr.â€

Awful grammar aside, I fell for his bait. Who wouldn’t trade for a PTW when you’re looking for that type of Training Weapon? Too good to be true and I should have known… But we went back and forth hammering out the details over the 4th of July holiday and agreed to a straight up trade. Mark Jr. sent photos of the PTW. So it seemed like a legit deal. I went and shipped my complete package with UPS (Tracking Number: 1ZY3070X0313862876 delivered on 11 July.)

His response after I notified him of shipping:

“OK i'll be-able to figure it out to re-in-stall the GBB kit part. OK I shipped out as-well on time but didn't know from USPS the shipping I used you have to buy tracking separate four the package so I didn't buy confirmation, I hope this doesn't effect our trade, I do have the receipt if you want a picture to show proof? I double bubble wrapped everything separate for a safe trip so there's a lot of bubble wrap and same for the weapon for sure. If your find with that, Thanks for the business and enjoy the PTW M4 Benjamin.

mark, Jr.â€

Again, grammar aside, “Mark Jr.†from Warwick, Rhode Island cut off all communications with me after this. After two weeks, I went on the hunt to track this person down. Since I have his address, I looked up a home phone number – super easy.

Michael Sabetta

(401) 921-3540

100 Whipple Ave

Warwick, RI 02889-4733

Yes, that’s where I shipped. So I called the number and asked to speak with “Mark, Jr.†I was handed off to someone who answered the phone as “John†(note the e-mail address previously used in communications.) I begin to introduce myself and let John know what the issue was. “I sent a package to 100 Whipple Ave, Warwick RI 02889 – is this the phone number at this address? Have I contacted the address previously stated?†John lets me know I have contacted that residence, but he did not receive a package on July the 11th…

UPS Tracking is great. They will often leave comments on their delivery. This particular delivery states in the “Left At†block: “Met Customer Man†– so I asked him about this. I asked him if he was the man of the house, he said yes. I asked if he was over 18, because he sounded like a teenager. He said he’s over 18. I also asked him on more the one occasion if he’d even heard of airsoft. He began to flip-flop. First he never heard of it, and then he eventually caved and said he has played it before, then tried to recant. When I reminded him I’m Military Police, a veteran and I know the legal steps to remedy this, he then got cocky with me and told me “maybe I have it, maybe I don’t.â€

That’s not the issue anymore. I know he has it. I’m never going to get my package back. I’m not going to be getting a PTW in trade for it. I made a stupid decision to accept a trade. And let’s be honest – Airsoft and MilSim are and will always be based on honor. You have to call your hits and be a good sport when you’re struck. Character and class are heavily relied on when you partake in our communities. It’s a shame and absolutely disgusting to think someone who’d be willing to defraud a service member and a dedicated MilSim player of his gear and then expect to go play games in the North East.

“Mark Sabettaâ€, “Mark Jr.†or “John†– whatever moniker he chooses to use, is a scam artist and deserves to be flushed out of the Airsoft community as a whole.

9 out of 10 times, trades go on without an issue. This one instance, I made a bad choice to agree to a trade. Please, do not make the same mistake I did. If you know anything about this individual, please come forth and let me know. In the days to come, I hope to hand over the open Oklahoma City Police case over to the Warwick PD to at the very least, knock on his door.

Warwick, RI is 1 plane ticket away. I'll chip in to get you there and back...

MICHAEL'S GENERAL CONTRACT Michael R Sabetta 1780 Elmwood Avenue Warwick, RI 02888 Phone: (401)781-6050 Status: Valid Registration Type: Residential Contractor Issued: 4/28/1999 Expires: 8/1/2012 License Number: 17244 Get current license status

if he is a minor there is nothing you can do about it but tell the local comunity about it, if he is over 18 the local PD probably wont give a %$#@ about it unless you lived there. they will say its a civil issue and tell you to get a lawyer at 150.00 a hr for a cheap one.

the post office would again tell you its a civil mater, in todays world no one wants to mess with "little" things, now if he was going lots of it, or not paying his bills to the P.O. then they would act. i have run into alot of that when i was shipping stuff.

These stories are never fun to read. I have been burned in the past on deals like yours and now I am a real stickler when I buy/sell/trade stuff online. Most of the time I will pay more to buy local just to avoid the off chance that I am dealing with a scammer. I have read stories over the years where the scammer is caught, but they are few and far between. When I sell anything online I deal with paypal and I am straight forward with everybody I deal with. Put money into my paypal account and I will ship your item. Until the money shows up in my paypal we are just talking. I am sorry to hear about your loss bud.

Tusk,

Tusk

Here is a number to Rhode Island paintball and airsoft. It is 6.1 miles from the address above. If he is a local player, there is a chance they mite know him. Its worth a shot. Let me, us know if there is anything we can do!!

Rhode Island Paintball & Airsoft LLC

1207 Post Rd

Warwick, R.I. 02888

401-369-7575

I had a similar problem. I called OSBI and the FBI since it went across state lines. I filled out online forms and figured "gone". About six months later I got a check from the Massachusetts Department of Corrections for the full amount I lost. It worked for me, and all I had was an IP address. Pitt would be scary, but imagine a bunch of agents at your door.

And this is why I don't ship my stuff first. I'd rather not get the deal than risk it. But I feel for you here, brother, I can't say I wouldn't have given the same deal a shot if I was in your shoes.

Here's hoping they catch the douchebag. We'll share the story on the MRR team page as well. Doubt it'll do much but it's better than nothing.

I only do face to face deals. usually at my local field i have a cc, but i made a promise to my mom that the money i made from reffing soccer games will go towards car insurance and gas. This story is unfortunate, and im sorry to here it.

On the old versions of the OK Airsoft and MSE boards, there was a section devoted to the identification of liars, cheats, and frauds.

Ahhh the old days when I owned Okairsoft.com we didn't really give a shit and called people out when they screwed someone over. I think the way Tusk went about it is a much better way. The info about the person and what they did is posted as a warning to others to be weary and that is good enough.