American MilSim
Aswayze

Quick update on this year's East Wind projects.

Most of you know about East Wind. For those of you who do not, just Google it or check out our website: WWW.operationeastwind.com

Anyhow, while East Wind is just one event per year each spring, it none the less, ends up consuming a great deal of everyone’s time all year round with projects and such.

Since summer is our heavy duty project season I thought I would pop in with a few project pics to show what all new goodies we’ve got in the works for the years to come.

7432068932_b0fa50fbb0_c.jpg

M151A1. NATO has needed a smaller vehicle for some time now and these little devils are exactly what the doctor ordered. This one just recently showed up and we’ve been wrenching on it for a few weeks now. Quite a bit of work yet to go to get it up to our standards but we’ve got it running and driving, just need to tidy up the body work and get it road legal so it can make the 350 round trip convoy run to East Wind. This vehicle will also be of huge service to everyone who uses D-Day Adventure Park since we’ll finally have something smaller than a Deuce and a Half to run around and map out trails with.

7171144231_dd6a3ffe93_c.jpg

7373780128_608b60fdcb_c.jpg

S-250 teletype shelter for NATO. We use period correct radio systems at East Wind and it always takes a goodly amount of time to get everything set up and operational. Moving everything needed to run a TOC into a single shelter which can rapidly be dropped off of the shelter carrier truck and boot walled to the side of the TOC tent saves a bunch of set up time. Additionally, we can interface equipment a lot better in a fixed installation such as this one meaning it’ll be easier to set up things like a radio teletype set to receive orders from higher on as well as a telephone switchboard and obviously our balkly old computer.

7312123242_83b584da50_c.jpg

Tents! We made a huge windfall on the tent front and have finally replaced all of NATO’s older canvas GP Mediums (the newest of which was a 1967) with more modern and MUCH less maintenance intensive tents. This will save a good bit of screwing around during the set up weekends as well as provide a MUCH improved user experience. Next years Ready Tent on the NATO side will be an 18x54 MGPTS Large giving us a decent bit more space for everyone to get it and be seated during meals. They look pretty ratty in the picture above, but about half of what we have there was new unopened stuff.

7461613746_d9a4d6d94e_c.jpg

M37 power wagon for the East Bloc side! Wait, what? That’s right we bought a 1952 Dodge Power Wagon for the East Bloc troops. Why, you ask, would they need a Dodge Power Wagon? Well, they have this lovely vehicle here:

5049530404_008ba9b7bf_z.jpg

Which was captured from the Egyptians by the Israelis who were in the habit of repowering captured vehicles with engines from their Dodge Power Wagons. As it happens, ours still has it’s original engine in it but it’s about 5 steps beyond clapped out and needs replaced. We looked at getting an original engine shipped in from Eastern Europe but buying a pig in the poke engine out of a 1950s vehicle from a guy in Bulgaria is just about as smart as it sounds. Doing exactly what the Israelis did to many of the captured 152s makes decent sense and has the added advantage of easing our maintenance since it will then match our ex-Israeli BTR-40 which also has a Dodge engine and drive train. What to do with the rest of the Power Wagon? I dunno… Yard art?

7450636268_9ef62fc326_z.jpg

How about an MG-3? We have West German troops at East Wind and with so much of German tactics and processes centered around the machine gun we have long needed to get these guys set up with one of these. This year, our West German troops are hot on the task and we should be seeing this one slinging some plastic real soon.

These are just a few examples of what’s going on in the East Wind world, just figured I would share, it has been a good year so far. :)

We’ve been running old school TOC stuff for years but this time we’ll have all the annoying and time consuming to set up stuff all in the handy dandy box there so all we need to do is poop it off onto the ground from the shelter carrier truck, plug it in, and get straight to work. It will interface directly to the side of the actual TOC tent so that means all the commo stuff is off in its own room instead of screaming and clacking at everyone when they are trying to give briefs or debriefs. I think it should help a great deal.

2801280299_0af08e69a1_z.jpg

NATO TOC East Wind I (2008)

3422366811_a6b0a8035f_z.jpg

NATO TOC East Wind II (2009)

4475770136_b5fe2dc867_z.jpg

NATO TOC East Wind III (2010) Damn… That place was a hellish mud pit, let us never speak of that place again…

5573058977_7166463136_z.jpg

NATO TOC East Wind IV (2011)

6980470921_6e47b5e6cf_z.jpg

NATO TOC East Wind V (2012)

I'm curious, what antenna's are you guy's using for all your comms? Not familiar at all with that era, but I can't imagine its changed too terribly much from what we use our on a lot of our stuff today.

We mostly run off of our RC-292 antennas anymore. We have an OE-254/GRC as well as an OE-303/GRC but the old 292 is both more correct and frankly a lot less hassle to deal with.

Vehicles have a mix of the 3900 bases and sticks on them or the 6707s with most of the Deuces fitted with the 3916 antennas that went on the TOW and Avenger Humvees since we got sick of replacing antenna masts all the time.

We can talk to Joplin pretty easily with 2 watts off of the 292 when we set it up for minimum SWR.

We mostly run off of our RC-292 antennas anymore. We have an OE-254/GRC as well as an OE-303/GRC but the old 292 is both more correct and frankly a lot less hassle to deal with.

Vehicles have a mix of the 3900 bases and sticks on them or the 6707s with most of the Deuces fitted with the 3916 antennas that went on the TOW and Avenger Humvees since we got sick of replacing antenna masts all the time.

We can talk to Joplin pretty easily with 2 watts off of the 292 when we set it up for minimum SWR.

Didn't know the OE254's were that old. We're still running those at our TOC's. And yeah, pain in the but. I may have to run out to East Wind for once in my life if I'm in the midwest area next spring.

Yes, the OE-254 as well as the AS-3900 came out in concert with the first PRC-119 Sincgars sets. With the older antennas all being manual tune, you couldn't hop with them.

I imagine those will stay in service for a good long while, the RC-292 sure did. Those first hit the field in 1950 and only recently came out of National Guard service with the last of the VRC-12 radios.

I am not sure why our 254 is so evil but it is. For some reason, it always seems to find a way to jack up it's feed line and it never seems to want to really match the frequency we use for long haul comms while always perfectly matching the short haul channel.

The old 292 on the other hand is a real pussy cat plus it wigs people out when I walk out of the TOC, unclip a guy line and walk the antenna down to change elements then walk it right back up. it just never really looks like that should work. :)