American MilSim
TheJP

Purposed Improvements for all future AMS events

Sadly, I didn't get a chance to attend BH, but I'd like to really give AMS accolades for garnering feedback from everybody in such a public forum. Furthermore, the responses from the AMS staff have been insightful and resonate with a tone of really wanting to hear what the players had to say, bravo.

Keep it up AMS, this positive and humble demeanor is exactly what this sport needs, thank you.

JP, I know we have already discussed this but public forums for improvements is just that.

- Admin channel, for Admins/Emergency only (possible breakdown based off Admin zones)

- Commo SOP for Emergency and Priority traffic (briefed to all Staff and Players)

- PA/Loudspeaker assets (probably going to fall back on me, I should have brought mine)

- Location/Force signs (my failure at Registration)

Just a few so far...

JP, I know we have already discussed this but public forums for improvements is just that.

- Admin channel, for Admins/Emergency only (possible breakdown based off Admin zones)

- Commo SOP for Emergency and Priority traffic (briefed to all Staff and Players)

- PA/Loudspeaker assets (probably going to fall back on me, I should have brought mine)

- Location/Force signs (my failure at Registration)

Just a few so far...

911 Comm traffic issues should be resolved w/ the new Staff radios that arrived a DAY late for OBH, it can monitor 2 channels so we can carve out a private 911 Freq for emergency traffic and monitor it so there should be no interference.

SOP for medical emergency is an excellent idea (You, SIMs and Diesel should get your heads together and write a protocol :) )

PA system isnt a bad idea either, I know DDAP has this ability and I'd like to get Radio Free American MilSim up for the next DDAP event.

I personally have no problem with the civilians changing sides at will. That said, if there is a unit in the game that exists to help game flow (help the side that's losing) then make them change uniforms and covers/helmets to look like the side they are helping. That way there is no misunderstandings or commo failures.

I very much like the hands off approach for admins. In the case of the SME valley, I do understand the admins telling the marines not to attack Colleville as a way out of the valley as their mission was to take SME. This level of admin prodding keeps the game on course and keeps it in line with the story line posted on the forums. What I don't understand is why they were told to stay on the road itself or why we were told not to shoot at them. This level of admin prodding is too tight in my opinion and only creates confusion. The marines had a large swath of land on the eastern side of the SME valley that was in play that they could have easily gotten used to disengage and move up the valley but were unable to because of this.

Finally I think that any imbedded MoD players need to be in the same full uniform as the players around them. I say this because 90% of the time i only see an enemy player's head or head and shoulders and I need to be able to tell what team they are on with only that in view. Give them a colored rag they can use when they go into admin mode or something but please make them look like the unit they are with.

Thanks!

Embedded MoD in the uniform of the force they are assigned to is a good idea. Call them 'Adivsors' as they canndvise and prompt the player commanders to help keep the game flowing.

This. Very much this.

There were only a few things that we noticed. Some way to distinguish vehicle alignment from a distance would help. My squad almost got pulverized by the humvee at the first of the game because we couldn't tell if it was friendly or not, and stopped an admin vehicle later for the same reason. Next would be embedded admin so there is definite admin overwatch at most battles. The admin that we came in contact with were great, and handled every situation with proffessionalism and discretion. Great job AMS on one of the best ops I have had the pleasure of going to.

I like the fact you dont know which team the civilians are on. This allows teams to approach in tactical manner not knowing what is about to happen.

The main complaint I had was on saturday in Colleville when I observed two admins one on a 4-wheeler, and the other on a rhino driving like bats out of hell. They kicked dirt all over the place, and created a very unsafe enviroment for everyone.

It sucks our MoD player was unable to remain in the game with our team but it was ok he he was all over the place helping out the game.

My team did not get to do any type of mission like I thought we would but that was ok cause we were all up the front lines pressing on hell fire. I would like to see more props for special team missions. Missions that would take longer then just run up, and grab a bag. This would allow regular army to protect, and much harder for special teams to recover. Maybe placing tomahawk rockets made of 18-wheeler exhaust pipe which is very cheap. These rockets can be protected by one team, and must be recovered by the other but this time you have to figure out to transport the rocket back to your spawn. Thats just an idea or some search and destroy missions with suit case bombs. I have seen these used in paintball. I did like the mine field that I heard about which maybe setting a few out and about the field would be awesome. Hopefully some of these ideas could work.

But I have to say good job to American Milsim for Broken Home. I like that they are trying to improve the game, American Milsim 4 life. Hey JP I dont want to mention the other guy but I did like the Black OPs 2 on Armadillo Island in Skiatook will you be trying to have some events like that just wondering cause if you do I am there. Thanks for every thing you have done with milsim.

If the time table is followed - allowing formation and STARTEX/ENDEX to be on time- you will see my team come out again. It's hard to drive 17 hours one way to be deprived of game time.

We did have some heat casualties, so yes, the endex times were okay to keep players from going down. We stuck to the tress on Sunday knowing it was going to be hot, maybe have admins/co's pull squads from the coleville fields and send them on flanking missions would help... I don't know? move the AO to a different spot to allow less sun? Starting early in the am would help too.

Just my thoughts. Again, best op Ive been to yet. Thanks AMS!

(vid up soon..)

Another thing I would like to see is for the CO/XO to be a little more on the ball and get intel out to platoon leaders sooner so that we will not be going in blind. I realize that the CoST had CO change at the last minute but we did not have any information as to initial missions for platoons until about 8:00pm on Friday night. I don't know the content but I know the USF had a command thread going at least two weeks before the op. I know that nothing could come down until admin had storyline handed down but 1st platoon seriously did not have firm mission orders until right before we loaded the buses out to the field. It just seems to me that USF forces had a game plan long before we lined up for formation on Saturday.

Also wouldn't mind if the OP was moved up in the year so that the temperatures and humidity would not be so much of a factor. I did fine as I paced myself and drank plenty of fluids before and during but I did see several folks not doing so good in the heat. I realize that it will be harder to attend if you have to come from a distance but it might be worth it to avoid the heat.

I would have to agree with Rocketman and have it earlier due to heat and humidity. If want to do it at during the holiday then I suggest changing the start and endex around to adjust to the heat and humidity. What about having the start time be earlier on Saturday morning say at 7:00 or 8:00 to take advantage of the cooler temperatures in the morning and endex at 2:00 or 3:00PM before the heat becomes a serious factor. That way everyone with be able to get out of the heat and humidity and get rested for the night game. I know of several people that did not play the complete game due to being overcome by the heat. Some were unable to play the night game and other on Sunday due to the energy they had expended on Saturday. I know people should try to get in shape for this type of operation but there will be that will not be in shape. I think it would help in reducing any heat casualties as will.

My 2 cents.

I have come to terms that Although I love being a sniper there is really no us for us. Unless we start using semi auto rifles and that's what I would like to work on some time. For now it's best if I return as a rifleman, but I like to point out that as a sniper we should have our own mission's as well as info.

I feel that if I play as a sniper I should have a target or targets to hunt down. Anyway I feel on the Intel that we should all have it and know whats going on. I know over the years this has been up to the Co but not everyone shows up Thursday or Friday. I am not asking to send everyone a packet on sign in but post it on the board for everyone to read. I am sorta of getting tired of not knowing what to do and just follow the crowd. I like to know what I am doing or who I need to go after if I am a sniper.

I don't know about everyone else but I would like to have the same info that the co's get it would help me. I don't went to make thing's any harder for the AMS staff, that's what I feel beside's having the may game earlier so it's cool.

I am going to disagree on the scheduling vs heat issue.

With proper preparation and self awareness, it is more than possible to make it through the event without becoming a heat casualty.

It is not the responsibility of the event staff to do this for the players it falls on us as individuals to do this.

Yogi I don't feel that the sniper is done and over with. We just need to use them in a better way. There are some very good sniper that play milsim it's just that there is much more to being a sniper than shooting at people. Most of what a good sniper will do is more recon and reporting or what is happening on the field.

Like Postman said our safety starts with us. Our preparation is our responsibility.

believe me guys I know and understand but really look at this. This year I have used all my trick's to keep myself cool but at-last it was to much, I reached my limit before the game was half over. Back to the heat problem, Postman, D-Train I agree that this is our preparation and responsibility for the games. But This is more about the fact that this is becoming a safety issue around the memorial weekend, we all love the game and pushing ourselves to make it better. But we need to realize peoples health is at risk when they do over heat themselves and if this happens and someone dies then it could fall on the field owner and the host's. We have been lucky so far but these games are just getting hotter with the year. With every year were getting more new players and I am thinking about all of us, I just fear the day something happens and someone gets in trouble.

Again I love to be a sniper and I know I am not really in all the sniper duties. I just wanted to have fun and that's way I am going back to a rifleman. I love the thrill and I now others may do a better job then me. Well anyway can't wait for a winter game hope to see you all there.

My .02, not focused on any one person

The heat...Many players have made posts about ways for Staff to modify the OP in order to reduce the heat. I understand everyone's issue with it, I have more than a few years in the warmer areas of the planet, but as Postman just stated it is an individual's responsibility to maintain preparedness. I can't complain enough about how many "energy" drinks I saw in hands of players as they prepped their gear and then I am left to wonder how many of them are the ones telling me its too hot to move or just leaving the field. Hydration starts at least 72 hours prior to exposure. We, as AMS, will do everything we can to help but as I can lead a player to water, I can't make him drink applies. We, all staff and players, need to look out for and ensure that hydration and safety overall is being maintained regardless of the time of day or year.

Now I don't know how you run as a sniper. But there are things you can do to help stay cool. 1. Don't wear a PC. The (old school) H harness my be a better choice. 2. Don't Ghillie up until you get into the field where you will be hold up at. I see so many guys Ghillie up and walk out into the field. Now roll it up put it in a backpack do your lil thang get out of sight and then turn invisible. 3. Roll with a combat top are under armor top with a Ghillie on your arms are covered no one is going to see your top and you stay cooler. 4. If you have a real problem with the heat pack you some medical cold packs. Bust 1 out and put it under your arms. It will cool you down. 5. The week of the OP's drink nothing but water make your pee turn clear. Now if you have done all of this and still think the heat is to much. You mite be a Eskimo. If thats the case can't help you. J.K.

Guys, AMS provides you the player with the Frame Work. We can't control the weather, how players use the terrain, their comm gear, equipment, etc...

You as a player are EXPECTED to be combat effective in the given conditions.

You are EXPECTED to be physically fit, especially if you asked to be a QRF/Special team squad which is required to complete objectives around the AO.

You are EXPECTED to properly hydrate and be self-sufficient on the AO.

YOU are EXPECTED to do basic Land Nav.

As discussed in this post, there are things AMS can do to make our event run smoother, and make it more enjoyable for you guys. But at the end of the day you guys are going to have to put in some leg work in prepping for AMS events such as OBH in order to really get the most of out it.

JP is exactly right. It's OUR responsibility as players.

It was cooler, or at least felt that way, up in OK, than it did in my home area of Dallas Texas that weekend. We'd had a ridiculous heat wave the week prior to OBH, DDAP felt like a vacation. I was almost a heat casualty last year, this year, I prepared, I started getting in shape a bit, I hydrated my ass off, and I made it through everything but the night portion, which I voluntarily sat out because of a natural disposition against playing at night.

Memorial weekend is the best possible weekend to take off, it's a holiday weekend, makes it the easiest for the most players, which makes the event more succesful,

In Short:

If you can't take the heat, get in shape, or get outta the kitchen.

I just finished camping 10 days at DDAP. I do airsoft and paintball and participated in the D-Day paintball game as a Company CO with the 82ND ABN. I led 25 players during the game, non-stop for 8 hours and also participated in the smaller games throughout the week. I take unit leadership seriously and check to see that my troopers have proper equipment, foot wear and hydradion. I constantly check on their hydration during the game. In 4 years I have had only one heat exhaustion case when it was 98 degrees during the game, my first year. This year we moved quickly from west of the airfield to Caen, to Pegasus, to Colleville, to the airfield and back to Colleville and kept everyone on the field.

Preparation is the key and I stress being in shape for the terrain and starting hydration at least a week prior to coming to DDAP. I ain't no spring chicken (as Doc can attest since he checked my back injury from a fall in the valley early Sat. at BH-Thanks Doc!) and was the oldest in my Regiment for D-Day and with the OK Regulators and RRT for BH. If you prepare, adjust your gear for the environment, hydrate, pace yourself and use good judgment, the heat is less of an issue.

I understand what everyone is saying. But I also agree that if the games were started earlier (or on time) then you could technically see a drop in heat casualties. I host smaller games in Durango and it drives me nuts when guys stop playing due to not being prepared, or the heat. I moved the games up earlier, and now I have more guys playing.

Our team did have a heat casualty, we found out he didn't hydrate enough nor consume enough electrolytes so yes, 100% blame falls on him. But what about the rest of us? If the game is technically up to the player and their own hydration as everyone is speaking of, why were ENDEX's called early for each frago? If we assume the responsibility as players then so be it, but don't punish the guys who did prepare by cutting many hours off the full game time. I was really upset at the night game being cut two hours and the Sunday game starting late and ending early.. Truly upset. I love shooting plastic.

Please don't get me wrong, I love airsoft, I love AMS, I love O:BH, I just want to see it succeed past any of the current "national ops" out there. All you fellas are great, I'm just trying to relay my thoughts as I've personally seen games change and player attitudes change for the better when heat isn't involved.