American MilSim
Sign in to follow this  
Whiskey06

Sidearm: Drop leg carry or vest carry?

Hey guys, I was just wondering what preference you guys had on where to carry your sidearm.

I've always used a drop leg holster as that's what I used in basic, AiT, and on duty. Its comfortable for me, nothing really blocks me from grabbing it, its isn't really in the way or anything. However, I've had people that say having it center mass on your vest is super efficient. I haven't tried it yet, but I feel like it would be inconvenient as depending on the carrier size, it could possibly replace mag pouches. Also, when you drop your primary to transition, it would most likely drop right over your sidearm, but I guess that would be fixed with time and experience. 

Anyway, what are some of your guys' pros and cons?

I'm not a huge fan of sidearms in airsoft from a practicality standpoint, but they are a lot of fun (and necessary if you're not a rifleman). I'd say that if you're comfortable with a leg holster and that's what you're familiar with then run with that. In the Corps I ran with a leg 4x mag holder just to free up some of the other pouches but I never really liked the weight or size on my thigh. It's all preference, but my $.02 would be to have it center-left or left side of the chest (I'm right handed) in order to facilitate the draw while the primary is dropped on the right side. One of my boys has a one-point sling and a chest rig that allows him to quickly sling the primary over his shoulder without choking him. That might be the perfect solution as it gets the primary out of the way and allows free access to the entirety of the chest and hip.

I'm not a huge fan of sidearms in airsoft from a practicality standpoint, but they are a lot of fun (and necessary if you're not a rifleman). I'd say that if you're comfortable with a leg holster and that's what you're familiar with then run with that. In the Corps I ran with a leg 4x mag holder just to free up some of the other pouches but I never really liked the weight or size on my thigh. It's all preference, but my $.02 would be to have it center-left or left side of the chest (I'm right handed) in order to facilitate the draw while the primary is dropped on the right side. One of my boys has a one-point sling and a chest rig that allows him to quickly sling the primary over his shoulder without choking him. That might be the perfect solution as it gets the primary out of the way and allows free access to the entirety of the chest and hip.

I'm comfy with the drop leg but it really arose an issue while going prone, having to lean on one side or something, so looking at changing. Thanks for the input! I'm probably gonna keep the sidearm because I have bad luck with weapon malfunctions haha

One consideration would be a duty drop with a single leg strap. It drops the holster just enough to clear your PC or Vest but keeps the secondary off your thigh where it has a tendency to roll forward and back as you are running. Usually vest or PC mounted secondaries are more common for vehicle ops where it is more difficult to draw from your hip or thigh. Hope that helps.

For a while I used a drop leg, then went to vest mounted.  But, now I use something sort of unusual.  I switched to a polymer paddle style holster as I switched my sidearm to a 1911 variant.  But, instead of using it on my pants or vest belt I attached it to a separate belt (velcro closure   heavy duty) and wear it "loosely" on my waist so the sidearm hangs just below my hip.  Sounds strange and like it the belt would fall down since it's not looped through anything, but it stays in place.  It's comfortable and what it allows me to do is quickly "swing" the belt around to move the gun off my hip if I need to hit the dirt.  Stays put when running as well.