• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Shodakan

Shodakan

New to American MilSim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

So Im thinking about running in the night op on Friday as there are still tickets up for grabs. My question is what is recommended as a load-out? I dont run Night vision as I prefer wearing a boonie over tac helmet. I do run a laser light combo on my M4 but I was wondering if I should pick up a low light scope form my rifle to use? 

Thanks

Cody "Hulk" W.

Dave

Dave

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  • LocationOKC

There are two (technically three) ways to roll during a low light op.

1) NODs - helmet or head mount.  Mounting to the rifle kinda sucks since you're adding a lot of weight and forcing yourself to hold the rifle up in order to observe your surroundings.  Boonie caps are great for concealment and keeping the sun off you - neither of which are particularly necessary at night.  

2) Flashlight - works great if you can't afford NODs.  Turns night into day in a small space, along with telling everyone around you where you are.  Works both ways.

3) No light source at all.  Sucks.  Don't impale yourself.

Lasers are good but same problem - it will announce your location to everyone.  You will not get enough light amplification on target with a laser for proper IDing so you will need some sort of light source (1 or 2).  I assume that "laser light combo" means you have a vis laser and vis light, which is good as a minimum.

Low light scopes are better than nothing, but I do not think the cost benefit is worth it.  You will probably need a RDS with your low light in order to aim (lol aiming in airsoft) and the RDS may damage your scope.

TheJP

TheJP

AMS MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, OK

So Im thinking about running in the night op on Friday as there are still tickets up for grabs. My question is what is recommended as a load-out? I dont run Night vision as I prefer wearing a boonie over tac helmet. I do run a laser light combo on my M4 but I was wondering if I should pick up a low light scope form my rifle to use? 

Thanks

Cody "Hulk" W.

A weapon light would be advisable for... you know doing shit at night ;)

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."
THEJP
Facebook.com/THEJPAMS

Alex AMS

Alex AMS

AMS Chief of Staff

• AMS Founders
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, Tx

Weather depending, there should be a lot of moon illumination this year at copperhead.

My job is to clarify and enforce policy, not to make policy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users