Nick "Picasso"

Nick "Picasso"

New to American MilSim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas

Howdy, Nick "Picasso" here,

I'm trying to find out a way to make a boonie hat into an nvg mount. Possibly, I could have a type 2 mount attached to the front of the boonie. On my current loadout for OP: Copperhead 3, for headgear, I'm wearing a balaclava, an earpiece, a half-mesh mask, goggles, and a boonie hat. Im not necessarily in the price range for a real steel NVG like a PVS-14 or a PVS-16, so I'm just making a loadout that looks interesting with replica nvgs. (ex. the Matrix gpnvg-18)

Any thoughts?

Callsign-Hammer

Callsign-Hammer

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Ga

I'm pretty sure Brain exploder did a video that hinted at this topic, he used a baseball cap and made a custom shroud to fit on it and explained how he made it (Will post video link when I get the chance). It might work for a boonie, too. Not sure, but I'd still give it a look. Otherwise, I see a lot of people that use an elastic band to keep it on. Not sure how well that would work, though, I'd imagine people have trouble keeping it in place, but I've never tried it myself, so don't take my word for it. 

Mica O'Neal
Callsign- "Hammer"
Weapon of Choice- KWA CQR Mod-1
"The most important thing in the Olympics is not to win, but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well" -Pierre de Coubertin, founder of the Olympic Games

Dave

Dave

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationOKC

Hi Nick,

You cannot wear an NVG mount over a boonie cap for the obvious reasons.  You can wear an NVG mount under the boonie, though.  Couple recommendations:

1) Skull Crusher (it's called that for a reason - they are NOT comfortable to wear for an extended period of time).  I would think the hard plastic bands would jack up how your boonie sat, but I only wore one once and couldn't tell you better.  This (pictured) ran for $55 on armslist and they cost about the same on ebay.  These are older US military issue, FYI.
2150607_01_night_vision_head_mount_skull

2) CP Nightcap - a bit more comfortable, three times as expensive.  Here is mine (with a boonie too - you're welcome):

17952622_10155303116451742_8320531628100

Note that the boonie rides pretty high on the head because of the mount arm.  Note: Using the USGI rhino mount does not let the cap sit much lower.  I recommend using the boonie drawstring to keep it tight on your head.  I imagine that setup would be pretty warm.  Hope that helps.

Nick "Picasso"

Nick "Picasso"

New to American MilSim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas

>ALSO<

another little question,

if I was to make an investment on nvgs, preferably a monocular, should i look and save for a REAL ATP PVS-14 or a similar digital pvs-14? Also, any other recommendations on gen 1-2 budget nvgs?

Thanks,

Nick "Picasso"

Dave

Dave

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationOKC

Sorry for delay, my internet is slow at work sometimes.

Gen 1 is useless without an IR illuminator, which will show up like a flashlight to anyone using NODs. The quality is low on them as well. Skip. The quality of Gen 2+ has improved over the last few years. You have a couple of options: 

1) Buy a Gen 2+ for slightly less than a Gen 3 from a reliable site. You will have a warranty if something happens. Should be around $2800.

2) Buy a "Gen 2+" from bubba on ebay for $1800. Probably no warranty.

3) Buy a "Gen 3" from bubba on ebay for $2200. Probably no warranty.

Remember that you will probably need to buy an IR laser as well - skip the G&P (mine sucked) and spend to get something a little better, like an OTAL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users