American MilSim
EBOairsoft

Help finding a good Red dot sight with magnification - need your thoughts

Do any of you have any suggestions on a reliable and quality red dot sight with magnification that would work well with a G&P M4 AEG?  The budget for this is not for the top of the line bleeding edge sight to end all sights if that helps.  I've looked on Evike and our site sponsor here and to be honest, I'm overwhelmed with how many different manufacturers there are so its hard for me to differentiate which company is producing the product that gives me the reliability and quality I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jay

You can either get a good one or a cheap one.  You can skip the magnification - you aren't shooting more than 30 yards.  I've owned a few airsoft sights (magnified and with/out red dot).  The only one I used reliably was my knockoff EOTech that ran off AAA.  I haven't the vaguest who made it - 90% of this stuff is knockoff gear from China and most of that is probably rebranded.  I would imagine the companies that sold them 5 years ago are all long gone or renamed, now.

I think the eotech knockoffs are the most useful for airsoft, but it's all user preference.  Good luck...

Thank you Dave.   I think you confirmed at least that at the origin, this stuff is all the same less some high end models.

I'll check that out.

Do you have a link to the one you bought?  Just curious what it was like.

Thanks again for your help,

Jay

I would try out a 4x32 ACOG. I have used these and I am still using one at the moment. The best ACOG you could get is a Trijicon. They do cost big bucks but, they all have great magnification. Here is a link to the ACOG I use but I have made upgrades to it. http://www.evike.com/products/64272/

American Milsim Member,

Camden 

"Looking for budget red dot" is literally the opposite of $1,446 ACOG.  I'm also curious how you "upgraded" your ACOG?  Can you post pictures?  

ACOGs are bush league, you may as well drop another grand and get a Spectre.  The .5 MOA accuracy is good for when you need to place BBs in the 1" gap between their plate carrier armor to ensure they feel the hit.  The BDC is good out to 600m, which will come in handy when your BBs catch a magical gust of wind to blow them an extra 550m.  It's also bomb proof, just in case you have a "burrito blowout" on your way to the field.

:rolleyes:

Thank you Dave.   I think you confirmed at least that at the origin, this stuff is all the same less some high end models.

I'll check that out.

Do you have a link to the one you bought?  Just curious what it was like.

Thanks again for your help,

Jay

I can find pictures but I can't find who makes them anymore - I believe there was a huge lawsuit between EOTech and various chinese manufacturers, because for months all of the holosights disappeared off the airsoft market and some weird starship troopers stuff started coming out.  I haven't looked to see if they have been snuck back in, but probably not.  There are plenty out there that can be bought from players - pay attention to the classifieds if you can't find any off the big websites.

SNITactical.com carries a wide array of RDS and Eotech type sights. It's typical ACM quality, as is the major of airsoft goods. Friends and I have ordered quite a few different optics off of there and have yet to have any issues.

Agree with Dave- your only options, in the "budget" scenario, are to look for a knockoff EOTech/Aimpoint/ACOG that will get the (airsoft) job done. You could also try Primary Arms, who make decent "lower" cost real steel sights, and stuff like NcStar, Leapers, AIM Surplus would probably be the lowest end stuff and perfectly fine for Airsoft. Put it this way...I shoot a fair amount of real steel and just did my very first Milsim event. I put a Vortex red dot that I wasn't using on my rifle...and probably about 90% of the time found myself just watching the BBs and adjusting aim based on that instead of the $200 red dot I mounted!! Perhaps I will get better and get back on the optic :-)

Just a side note: I like the holosight because the ring is about right for the BB dispersion.  When I started running it on my PTW I actually dialed it in with considerable accuracy, but for most AEGs the donut ring will work just fine.