AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
Sign in to follow this  
Archangel Airsoft

Kit assistance please?

So I'm new to airsoft Milsim. I've already got a list of some gear I'll need such as a new JPC, side pack for medkit and stuff, mag pouches, helmet, hydration pack, dumppouch, and a new Kryptek uniform with new boots.

Am I missing anything important? I know comms will be a big thing and I plan to get them eventually but for basics is there anything I'm missing?

Guest Specs

Your kit inventory and layout should vary based on your own preferences and the role that you'll be playing in. You've got your basics covered, but be open to as many brands and designs as possible.

I've written up an extensive post on the thought process needed prior to investing in kit, but will summarize here. Consider anything and everything before throwing down your hard earned cash. 

1. Be prepared to spend money on kit that you won't enjoy long term. Happens to everyone. Some stuff you simply have to use first hand to decide if you like it or not. Quality gear is always something to strive for, but investing in quality gear that doesn't fit you or your preferences isn't doing you any favors. Cheaper repro gear like Condor works great for nailing down what you enjoy running. Don't feel pressured to buy what other players run, and disregard gear trends. The newest thing isn't always solving an issue that needs solved.

2. Plate carrier? Rig? Belt Kit? Some sort of hybrid? Research the strengths of each and the variations of each and how they might affect your play in certain team roles. Is a JPC even the carrier that benefits you most? Perhaps you'd like something more like a Mission Spec EOC for example if you are looking for simple and light.

3. What size mags are you running? How many do you need to carry? Be aware of AMS ammo limitations, and consider where they are situated on your person. Lay in the prone and think to yourself: Will I be in the prone position much? If so, consider mounting little to no mags on your chest, or you'll be pretty uncomfortable. They would also be difficult to reach in that position. Which leads me to my next point...

4. Simulate combat. Plan it out. It can just be in your living room. Practice reloading from different parts on your person in different combat positions: standing, kneeling, prone, on your side, etc. Try to weed out some of your preferences beforehand. What sort of mag retention will you want? Open top? Velcro or buckle flaps? Bungee? Find other players and ask to try out their gear a bit. Most will be super willing and helpful to you, and have gone through just as much gear uncertainty as you have. Also seriously look at what our active military is using on duty. While you don't have to recreate their gear, there's tons of experience in how they've placed things, what they've decided to continue running, and even some modifications they've done to things for additional functionality. 

5. Less is more. The new guy curse that everyone goes through, is to fill as much of your gear with as much gear and stuff as possible. Make a list of the bare minimums you require, and leave the rest in a bag in respawn/FOB. Unless you are doing a multi-day milsim event, you will be much more effective with a lighter fighting load, and will snag on so many fewer bushes and doorways. Everything should have a place, and everything should have multiple purposes. 

My kit list (excluding brands): AK platform, 7 midcaps (1 in the gun), 1961g chest rig, hyrdo bladder in a small pack, 2 smoke grenades, (possibly) 1 thunder B, personal first aid kit, 2 4' long bandages for medic play, full seal eye pro, mesh mask, electronic ear pro, speakermic, radio with extended antenna for more range and power, 2 batteries (1 in the gun, 1 spare), a few meal bars (I've been digging Kind Bars lately), small amounts of electrical tape and ductape, a headlamp, red dead rag, red dead light, sharpie, pen, and small moleskin, simple digital watch, a small folding knife (for utility), small dump pouch (only used in intense firefights as I typically reinsert empty mags back into pouches inverted), ballcap, gloves, softshell, camo top, camo bottoms, mid-height boots. 

Kit shot for inspiration and context. 

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-26%20at%209.51.2

Specs lays it out perfectly here and touches on literally all the points I told my mates when they got interested in milsim.

To go over some of the stuff he mentions, I'll go ahead and tell you that I've been through a total of three plate carriers and one vest all of which I've found to be appropriate for certain situations and not others. For the most part I run a small plate carrier without too much stuff -- I like being pretty mobile as Specs outlined in 5. that Less is More and that really means a lot.

I'll lay out my kit here, but since I'm actually writing this from work I can't provide any pictures to go along with it:

CQB M4 platform (or SA 58), 7 M4 mags (or 5 FAL mags), handgun (in drop-leg holster), LBX 0300S plate carrier, miniMAP backpack (for hydration pack, HPA tank, misc stuff), two smoke grenades, one Thunder B (or one R2Bs hand grenade), radio in pouch, speaker mic (or throat mic and earpiece), dump pouch, small personal first aid kit with two four-foot long bandages (as required for AMS), roll of electrical tape, multi-tool, sharpie, wrist office (with AO map), digital watch, camo top and bottom, gloves, boots, mesh mask, full seal eye-pro, helmet.

Edit: I use a lot of special snowflake guns, so I have pouches and gear specific to those. Don't be like me, lol. It's expensive to get gear to run specific guns (e.g. the UMP) and it can also be a pain in the ass to switch out gear even if you are using molle.

Edit 2: Revised loadout. I completely forgot to put in the radio.

Guest Specs

LBX 0300S plate carrier

Edit: I use a lot of special snowflake guns, so I have pouches and gear specific to those. Don't be like me, lol. It's expensive to get gear to run specific guns (e.g. the UMP) and it can also be a pain in the ass to switch out gear even if you are using molle.

First, thanks! Second, jealous of that 300s! Haven't gotten the chance to see one in person yet, but have always been curious since typical 6094's are slightly too large for my small frame. 

Ditto on special snowflake guns. Used to run an SVD platform before which are somewhat close to m14 mags in dimension. Had to modify my PC's internal pouch for 2 mags, and use a 7.62 BFG double pouch. There are some new rigs with built in pouches and adjustable bungee retention for mag width. Might solve *most* special mag issues provided you had mag pulls for the shorter stubbier ones.

Your kit inventory and layout should vary based on your own preferences and the role that you'll be playing in. You've got your basics covered, but be open to as many brands and designs as possible.

I've written up an extensive post on the thought process needed prior to investing in kit, but will summarize here. Consider anything and everything before throwing down your hard earned cash. 

1. Be prepared to spend money on kit that you won't enjoy long term. Happens to everyone. Some stuff you simply have to use first hand to decide if you like it or not. Quality gear is always something to strive for, but investing in quality gear that doesn't fit you or your preferences isn't doing you any favors. Cheaper repro gear like Condor works great for nailing down what you enjoy running. Don't feel pressured to buy what other players run, and disregard gear trends. The newest thing isn't always solving an issue that needs solved.

2. Plate carrier? Rig? Belt Kit? Some sort of hybrid? Research the strengths of each and the variations of each and how they might affect your play in certain team roles. Is a JPC even the carrier that benefits you most? Perhaps you'd like something more like a Mission Spec EOC for example if you are looking for simple and light.

3. What size mags are you running? How many do you need to carry? Be aware of AMS ammo limitations, and consider where they are situated on your person. Lay in the prone and think to yourself: Will I be in the prone position much? If so, consider mounting little to no mags on your chest, or you'll be pretty uncomfortable. They would also be difficult to reach in that position. Which leads me to my next point...

4. Simulate combat. Plan it out. It can just be in your living room. Practice reloading from different parts on your person in different combat positions: standing, kneeling, prone, on your side, etc. Try to weed out some of your preferences beforehand. What sort of mag retention will you want? Open top? Velcro or buckle flaps? Bungee? Find other players and ask to try out their gear a bit. Most will be super willing and helpful to you, and have gone through just as much gear uncertainty as you have. Also seriously look at what our active military is using on duty. While you don't have to recreate their gear, there's tons of experience in how they've placed things, what they've decided to continue running, and even some modifications they've done to things for additional functionality. 

5. Less is more. The new guy curse that everyone goes through, is to fill as much of your gear with as much gear and stuff as possible. Make a list of the bare minimums you require, and leave the rest in a bag in respawn/FOB. Unless you are doing a multi-day milsim event, you will be much more effective with a lighter fighting load, and will snag on so many fewer bushes and doorways. Everything should have a place, and everything should have multiple purposes. 

My kit list (excluding brands): AK platform, 7 midcaps (1 in the gun), 1961g chest rig, hyrdo bladder in a small pack, 2 smoke grenades, (possibly) 1 thunder B, personal first aid kit, 2 4' long bandages for medic play, full seal eye pro, mesh mask, electronic ear pro, speakermic, radio with extended antenna for more range and power, 2 batteries (1 in the gun, 1 spare), a few meal bars (I've been digging Kind Bars lately), small amounts of electrical tape and ductape, a headlamp, red dead rag, red dead light, sharpie, pen, and small moleskin, simple digital watch, a small folding knife (for utility), small dump pouch (only used in intense firefights as I typically reinsert empty mags back into pouches inverted), ballcap, gloves, softshell, camo top, camo bottoms, mid-height boots. 

Kit shot for inspiration and context. 

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-26%20at%209.51.2

Couldn't of said it any better....Specs on the ball.

To reiterate about the less is more...it's funny cause when I started airsoft and going for a MilSim loadout I thought I would load up on gear to have everything that I needed.

But the more I added, the more I was taking off as my MilSim game was progressing.  Now what do I run?  I have a 3 mag kangaroo pouch, a repro fastmag on my left, a covered mag pouch on my rear left, a radio pouch for my bandages, a crotch pouch for quick access and a MAP for hydration and first aid....that's all

One thing that has been helpful for me is really digging into Special Forces (MARSOC, SEALs and  SFOD-D) gear and how they configure and use their gear.  I read (alot) about advantages/disadvantages along with my own personal experiences. 

At the end of the day - gear is about how operational YOU are.  Try different configurations and find how you operate most efficiently....trust me, if you take it seriously and want to continue to improve, you will never be satisfied and will always be changing gear out to be more and more efficient.

Fight Light!

First, thanks! Second, jealous of that 300s! Haven't gotten the chance to see one in person yet, but have always been curious since typical 6094's are slightly too large for my small frame. 

I like it. The 300S is pretty adjustable; it was quite tight out of the box, honestly, but now that I've got it sort of fitted to my body it's nice. I'm a pretty small-framed individual myself and I always wonder whether or not something will fit. Pretty much the only reason I pulled the trigger on my 300S was because LBX was having a sale on their Caiman and I'm too OCD not to have matching everything, lol.

Sign in to follow this