AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
Sign in to follow this  
edziu

Communications

You need a baofeng type radio. It will let you talk to the rest of us and it has the power and range you need as the preprogrammed ones fail most of the time. We do not use the FRS channels the preprogrammed radios do.

You can get standard power UV-5R on Amazon for less than 30 dollars now.  Cheaper than a lot of FRS/GMRS radios out there today.

26 dollars here on Prime

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474561166&sr=8-1&keywords=uv-5r

I've ordered from that same seller for most of my UV-5Rs and they all work. 

I have normal midland (gxt) radio and was wondering if those will work at an AM event, or do I need a Baofeng type radio. Thanks

We used Midlands at iron horse and they worked as long as you know the frequency that corresponds to the channels. If it is close you can still pick up traffic. We've also finally made the jump to baofengs and are loving them.

When I get home I will post  a freq sheet I made that corresponds to the pre programmed FRS/GMRS  channels and the call tones that are used for the sub channels so you can still talk to your friends if they have midlands  for example I think channel 1 sub channel 1 is 462.6525 and the t/r-ctcs is 67.0 and once you get into chirp you can program the baofeng with the FRS/GMRS as well. 

Baofengs are super cheap and I recommend you make the switch,personally I will be upgrading to the new 8 watt version.

Here it is I couldn't find my original so I made a new one, This version is a lot cleaner

post-2800-0-25869500-1474927621_thumb.png

New to AMS: Will the comms frequencies be released with the official roster?  Would like to program my radio soon with the command channels so my squad has communication redundancy.

Why would we post up our secure frees? Our forum always gets hacked and then we have change everything. It's better this way. Lol

Why would we post up our secure frees? Our forum always gets hacked and then we have change everything. It's better this way. Lol

Terrible that this happens. Not sure if it's players doing it or a leadership tactic but I would hope that both sides abide by the rule of no electronic warfare :P

Besides the point, if people are still looking for help programming the Baofeng radio, I made a 10 minute video walk through of how to program the radios using the CSV method with CHIRP.

Here's the link:

If you have questions, let me know and I can try to help. Unfortunately I'm terrible at hand programming and programming other radios that aren't Baofengs. :/

Gauge,

Anyone who has played on CoST or has a friend who has can get the freqs, I played for CoST last year and still have the freqs but this year I am UFS.

It is quicker and easier to be able to have everyone programmed to the exact same file so freqs are guaranteed to work unlike what we have now.

But it all goes back to the honor aspect of the game if we can't trust the community members to not be dicks then there is no point to this game, Will there be some UFS players that listen into CoST yes just as there is CoST listening into UFS  but it is up to us the honorable guys and gals to put these screwballs in check when we catch them and get a staff member involved to get these type of people out of AMS.

Besides our radios never work anyways lol.

Anyone bringing a computer with chirp and the usb cable by chance? I bought the radio but the cable and software will be in after this op. any help?

Anyone bringing a computer with chirp and the usb cable by chance? I bought the radio but the cable and software will be in after this op. any help?

Are you UFS and do you have a Baofeng? UV-5R by chance?

Sign in to follow this