American MilSim
Sign in to follow this  
VIRUS

The Future of Airsoft

The future of airsoft isn’t the in the new guns, gear, local fields or milsim events. The real future of our sport is in the new players.  Far too often I see veteran players complain about the newbs or ignore the questions they ask.  If the more experienced guys don't take the time to help the new players, one of two things will most likely happen. They will pick up bad habits (not calling their hits, unsportsmanlike conduct, unsafe practices) or they will simply stop playing. 

Both are bad for the sport. Not calling hits and unsportsmanlike conduct are at best an annoyance, or at worst suck the fun out of the game, but unsafe habits gives real ammunition to those that are trying to shut down our sport. Not having new blood to fill our ranks will also eventually lead to the end of airsoft as older guys retire or people quit because they’re having to deal with people that have bad habits. 

My home field is a family establishment that is always bringing in new players. A huge part of their success is that the staff and regulars are not only willing, but go out of their way, to turn the newbs into good players. It’s fun to watch someone I’ve helped go from hiding in corners become a player that I feel confident in covering my six. Helping them not only improves their game but mine. 

If you enjoy airsoft and want to continue playing, then you need to do your part in ensuring its future. 

Take a minute to explain the rules, the importance of good sportsmanship and safe practices. 

Take the time to show someone how to adjust their hop-up or how to clear a room.

Answer the questions about your gear. 

Loan the kid with the clear plastic gun your gun for a round. 

Encourage and nurture our new players. 

It only takes a few minutes and you just might find, as I have, that passing on what you’ve learned can be truly gratifying.

Guest Specs

Haha this Airsoft Public Service Announcement brought to you by Virus. 

B)

There is a significant difference in "new players" and "new players that listen".  I have ran into far, far more of the former than the latter.  Offering assistance, advice, gear, and the "follow me" attitude is well and good until the new player rejects you because you do not resemble a mp.net montage.  Even military service becomes irrelevant to some.  Repeat this many times and it's easy to become jaded and let them do their own thing.

The airsoft community has changed greatly since I began playing in 2010.  I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing; player numbers are up and the gear selection is out of this world - however, the players I started with are no longer active and most of my stuff has been converted to wall hangers as well.  

Find those that are interested and help, assist, reach out, give pats on the back, whatever to help build the community.  That is all we, as veteran players, can do.

well yeah, there are some players who aspires to play the game disciplined as you do. In every sport there will be slack players, it is the side effect when the sport grows.