American MilSim
Zahntrilogy

Weapon Good Enough?

Hello!

I am what I would call a casual airsofter; I go to my local field on weekends. But I am interested in doing my first milsim event sometime soon. I don't have any Milsim knowledge or experience.

I have a Krytac Trident SPR with an upgraded spring, but I am wondering if that is going to hold up against competition like polarstars.

My Question: Is my current weapon good enough (in terms of range) to stand a chance at a milsim event, or should I upgrade it more (if so, what should I do?)/look at different weapons?

My worry is that I won't even be able to engage people who will beat me in range and firepower. I'm currently a student, so I'm on a budget.

Thanks,

Fred

In airsoft, the final verdict comes to this. They all shoot some form of bb, right? It really all depends on what you like. Of course, $300 -$700 guns inevitably WILL perform better than, let's say a $70-$100 gun. If you want a gun that can stand up to higher-tier guns, get a Valken Battle Machine. They are $150.

Hello!

I am what I would call a casual airsofter; I go to my local field on weekends. But I am interested in doing my first milsim event sometime soon. I don't have any Milsim knowledge or experience.

I have a Krytac Trident SPR with an upgraded spring, but I am wondering if that is going to hold up against competition like polarstars.

My Question: Is my current weapon good enough (in terms of range) to stand a chance at a milsim event, or should I upgrade it more (if so, what should I do?)/look at different weapons?

My worry is that I won't even be able to engage people who will beat me in range and firepower. I'm currently a student, so I'm on a budget.

Thanks,

Fred

Yes, your weapon will be fine. ;)

Guest Specs

Get good scrub! 

Just kidding. Honestly Polarstars are definitely the minority, and as FPS is firmly regulated at AMS events, and rifleman are locked to semi-only, Polarstars don't have a tremendous advantage over most other AEG or gas users. 

Propellant/power source isn't what you want to consider first for range. Look to your inner barrel / hop up / bucking combination. All fairly cheap upgrades to make. 

That being said, distance isn't king. Tactics and movement will get you far. Your SPR should do just fine. Just be sure it meets FPS regulations and that you are locked to semi-only. All important considerations for DM's. Also, keep a sidearm on you.

I used a Krytac SPR right out of the box last year at RDGXIV and it worked fine for me all though with .30g bbs it only made it about 50 yards accurately and most of the engagements i found myself in were just past that due to the open terain. I am sure if I had more time to get it ready for out there than it would have been perfect.