American MilSim

I was here last year and had a lot of fun. But I want to know if my idea would be allowed. I'm a support gunner so I want to be as hard to see as possible. This being said I had an idea, instead of a guilly suit, just carry around a woodland camo tarp in my backpack and when I need to use it just drop the bag and drape the tarp over me and post up. Would that be against the rules?

Guest Specs

Provided any camo you bring along is faction approved in pattern, it's good to go! It wouldn't act as cover though in the event of a bb strike.

Provided any camo you bring along is faction approved in pattern, it's good to go! It wouldn't act as cover though in the event of a bb strike.

Don't see an issue, it'd be consider part of your gear so if there was a BB strike on it you'd be "hit".

The thought of using a tarp as concealment is cool and all but allow me if I may to give ya some cons on the issue. First and foremost: Heat retention. I dunno if you have ever been under a tarp in the summer or even in the swamp for that matter but a tarp doesn't really give ya much shade. That means the temperature under the tarp could very well be higher than the ambient temperature outside. Then there is moisture condensing under the tarp which adds humidity making it even hotter. As a Floridian I say frak humidity. Now yes a Tarp can be pacjed away in your assault pack for somewhat quick deployment of concealment but what is ya get hit while pulling out the tarp? As a new player to Airsoft I don't know what a SSW player is but I am infering it may be a support gunner using some type of LMG ( SAW, M60, 240B, rpk) My question for you is. Why are ya trying to hide with a tarp as a support gunner? Wouldn't it be more believeable to use natural camouflage to build your hide? This is just the ramblings of a soldier don't take it as anything rude. I may be wrong and if so please correct me.

Well not exactly a tarp. It was just easier to say tarp instead of explaining I'm a window installer and can spray paint the screen material. It would let the heat out and breathe very well. What gets people seen is the outline. That's what camouflage is used for, it breaks up the outline of the body and blends in with the environment. But I am cdf so I can't just have full camo to help me out. So quickly deploying this would break up a head and shoulders outline on top of a hill and at first glance you might think it's just another bit of elevation on the hill. As far as concealment, May not be the best but maybe it would get you at least the extra couple of seconds needed to get your target when they are looking to find where the shots are coming from. As for natural cover, yes it would be ideal. But as we all know there might not always be natural cover where you need it. This way you don't have to walk around in a ghilly suit all day. You just pull it out of a back pack or pouch or what ever you have and throw it over you and hit the ground.

Well depending on what you choose as your one camo peice hell a camoed top would help out better cause if the UFS have any kind of scope or binos they would be able to see your face or head. If you use the hilltop correctly ya shouldn't need to break up your outline. All that should be visible is your head and weapon. By the time they know you are there ya should be moving anyways lol. Shoot, move, communicate.

The problem with that is as a support gunner, I'm not the most mobile. We post up and put a bunch of bbs down range picking off who we can but for the most part we just keep the heads down and let our teammates maneuver into better positions. And as my camo, it may not be the most tactically useful but my cdf outfit is camo pants and black top and camo vest. Obviously there would be some problems with the idea but there's always something wrong with every idea. The problem with ssw's themselves are that they are heavy. Snipers, accurate but slow. It's just an idea that I would like to test out

I would like to know if Spartanc54 used this and how effective it was. Quick hides like this are useful in an ambush or in the defense, but considering that a gunner must allow the enemy to get much closer with an airsoft gun than with a real machine gun before opening fire, they may be of little to no use here.

I have been trying for some time to determine which principles and tactics of real-steel machine gunnery are applicable to airsoft and this one has me interested.