American MilSim
AMirrodin

UGVs for combat?

Hello,

I am currently working on a UGV with an airsoft gun on it. My question is: Could UGVs be used for combat and not scouting? The rule set say they can be used to recon forces but do not mention UGVs used for combat.

Thanks in advance,

-- Mirrodin

And how would someone counter a UGV? I assume you are OK with a rocket breaking things on it? Or perhaps it being shot to the point its inoperable? 

And how would someone counter a UGV? I assume you are OK with a rocket breaking things on it? Or perhaps it being shot to the point its inoperable? 

Valid question.

Rockets breaking things are bound to happen. The part I failed to mention is that it will have "weak spots" on it. Those would be sensors that if they were to be hit, the UGV would disable itself. It is simple programming, or even hardware fix. Ideal spots would be the side or rear, like certain tanks in real life.

I do know it will be a risk to bring a UGV, if allowed, and they would need to be marked differently than the recon ones.

-- Mirrodin

Guest Specs

It's a great concept and might be an option in the future, but it would require it's own thought out ruleset and adds complexity to an already complex system. Vehicles themselves can sometimes be tricky to get the rules right on. So I'd assume a no, but will defer to AMS staff as always. 

That said, we are seeing a lot of drone usage for footage capture and recon as you mentioned. So that's always an option. There have been a few RC variety UGV's that I've seen lashed to peoples backs. Have yet to see one actually utilized though. 

Hello,

I am currently working on a UGV with an airsoft gun on it. My question is: Could UGVs be used for combat and not scouting? The rule set say they can be used to recon forces but do not mention UGVs used for combat.

Thanks in advance,

-- Mirrodin

At this time UGVs can't be used in any combat capacity. Just too hard to enforce and someone is probably going to end up smashing it....

Thanks for the answer JP.

I guess I should now ask what do the recon UGVs typically end up being with regard to Size/weight and speed? I'm mainly concerned about the size at the moment. What would make a UGV not allowed? Since each one must be approved by staff I would like to get some pointers either from staff or those who have brought one.