American MilSim

I meant to buy a Puxing 777 for the upcoming OP, but I waited too long and now they are sold out. Anyone used a Baofeng, specifically the UV-5R? I found them for pretty cheap and the reviews from HAM operators is mixed.

I meant to buy a Puxing 777 for the upcoming OP, but I waited too long and now they are sold out. Anyone used a Baofeng, specifically the UV-5R? I found them for pretty cheap and the reviews from HAM operators is mixed.

We looked at these for Staff radios, but do not personally know anyone that has used them.

Until now :)

Edited by TheJP

Just got my 888 today and i love it but i have seen that type of radio but never used it. I'm curious on how they work so let me know please.

So I have the radio now, I've figured out setting channels and how to turn off all the beeping and talking the radio does, but I have no idea what else I can do with it. What else will I need to be able to do with it?

you can program the radio via cable (if you dont have one I will be bringing mine with my crappy laptop to Broken home and we can program it for you ) there is a whole bunch of stuff you can do to it but it mostly requires the cable.

Well i got the channels sorted just fine, I think that should be sufficient.

Can you give me a run down on how you programmed yours? (Maybe write out a FAQ for the others as well.) I can get a standard freq. programmed to a memory channel, but not sure how to alter the PL tones and or set TX/RX freqs differently if I need to say use a repeater.

Not gonna lie, I am not the most radio savy dude around.

I can't seem to get the PC software to work w/ my Baofengs, so far they are great little radios just totally different to program from my Puxings.

I programmed it manually if you want help with the computer ask someone else, Thejohnson486 said he could do it try asking him. I can give advice on manual programming.

Sorry I had almost finished typing up a how-to and my browser shut down and I lost it all. I'll have it up soon.

I programmed it manually if you want help with the computer ask someone else, Thejohnson486 said he could do it try asking him. I can give advice on manual programming.

Sorry I had almost finished typing up a how-to and my browser shut down and I lost it all. I'll have it up soon.

Post it up when you get time, think I found the issue w/ not being able to communicate to the radio via the COM cable... will find out tonight.

I dont know what PL tones are, but I can do transmit and receive sub channels.

1. Go to MENU
  2. Go to menu option: R-CTCS (Recieve CTCS)
  3. Hit MENU
  4. Set the CTCS (for OBH I used 71.9)
  5. Hit MENU again
  6. Go to menu option: T-CTCS (transmit CTCS)
  7. Hit MENU
  8. set the CTCS
  9. Hit MENU again

I assume if you are using repeaters you only need to change the sub channel for one of them so it transmits and recieves on different subchannels. There is a way to transmit and recieve on different full frequencies, I think it is the offset.

I dont know what PL tones are, but I can do transmit and receive sub channels.

1. Go to MENU
  2. Go to menu option: R-CTCS (Recieve CTCS)
  3. Hit MENU
  4. Set the CTCS (for OBH I used 71.9)
  5. Hit MENU again
  6. Go to menu option: T-CTCS (transmit CTCS)
  7. Hit MENU
  8. set the CTCS
  9. Hit MENU again

I assume if you are using repeaters you only need to change the sub channel for one of them so it transmits and recieves on different subchannels. There is a way to transmit and recieve on different full frequencies, I think it is the offset.

I finally was able to get the interface cable to work w/ my PC -- was a driver issue. These little radios are awesome... the dual monitoring ability is pretty cool but not a huge fan of how it switches TX freq. and stays when you have traffic on the other channel being monitored. Maybe I am missing the setting to just always TX one the 1 freq while being able to listen to both (w/o it switching your TX to whatever channels has traffic).

But the dual band VHF/UHF is a pretty sweet, might snag one of these for my normal kit and try it out.

PL tone is another term for CTCSS codes it's basically how you set a sub channel on a freq. (Please anyone correct me if I am wrong)

THe double frequency might explain some of the trouble I had with it. I'll have to get a programming cable to see if I can figure out more about it.

[MENU] 7 [MENU] [EXIT] to turn that on and off.

I am about to buy a radio for OES but I'm on a tight budget. Does anyone know anything about the Baofeng BF-888s?? I know the specs but I want personal opinions. I don't need all the fancy features of a Puxing px-888 and the UV-5R doesn't have good enough reviews for my taste. The UV-B5 has great reviews and the digital display with alphanumeric channels would be nice, but realistically it will be sitting in pouch and I'll be staying on the same few channels. So... BF-888s for $23 or spend the extra for the UV-B5 for $43? Btw, I will be buying a prog. cable regardless so prog. is no a factor with either radio.

I am about to buy a radio for OES but I'm on a tight budget. Does anyone know anything about the Baofeng BF-888s?? I know the specs but I want personal opinions. I don't need all the fancy features of a Puxing px-888 and the UV-5R doesn't have good enough reviews for my taste. The UV-B5 has great reviews and the digital display with alphanumeric channels would be nice, but realistically it will be sitting in pouch and I'll be staying on the same few channels. So... BF-888s for $23 or spend the extra for the UV-B5 for $43? Btw, I will be buying a prog. cable regardless so prog. is no a factor with either radio.

Buy a  Baofeng UVR-5 or a Puxing-777. If you can't afford either on of those then just wait till you can and run around with a battle buddy who has comms.