American MilSim

FRS radios from WALMART.  Or Amazon.  Most players I've seen use the Baofengs (of various types) without a license.  I have a HAM license and dont' hold it against some kids playing BB warz if they are running little low power HTs in the field.  I do try to educate them enough so they don't accidently transmit on frequencies that could get them in trouble though.  

If you want a "legal" radio though to use without a license you need to pick up actual FRS radios or if you want to be different you can pick up MURS radios but I've never seen any OPs run with VHF (MURS) frequencies just UHF frequencies.  Usually FRS/GMRS.  MURS type certified radios aren't cheap though.  You can program the 'Fengs to do MURS but they aren't certified for use by the FCC on those freqs.

You can find good FRS (pretty much any FRS/GMRS radio will work) radios or MURS (Dakota Alert) on Amazon easily. 

FRS radios from WALMART.  Or Amazon.  Most players I've seen use the Baofengs (of various types) without a license.  I have a HAM license and dont' hold it against some kids playing BB warz if they are running little low power HTs in the field.  I do try to educate them enough so they don't accidently transmit on frequencies that could get them in trouble though.  

If you want a "legal" radio though to use without a license you need to pick up actual FRS radios or if you want to be different you can pick up MURS radios but I've never seen any OPs run with VHF (MURS) frequencies just UHF frequencies.  Usually FRS/GMRS.  MURS type certified radios aren't cheap though.  You can program the 'Fengs to do MURS but they aren't certified for use by the FCC on those freqs.

You can find good FRS (pretty much any FRS/GMRS radio will work) radios or MURS (Dakota Alert) on Amazon easily. 

Like you mean something like this right? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00EQV1I0K?keywords=GMRS&qid=1457500818&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Yup those would work just fine.  Keep in mind that "30 mile range" is total BS.  You could get that kind of range if both radios were on a mountain top.  Or maybe over a large body of salt water haha. 

You'll be lucky to get a few miles out of them in normal use.  In really rough terrain you might get 1/2 to one mile or so.  But that's true of most hand held radios.  Also I noticed that is the Canadian amazon site.  So I assume you are in Canada. I do not know what the FRS/GMRS rules are up there I'll have to research that a bit.

Yup those would work just fine.  Keep in mind that "30 mile range" is total BS.  You could get that kind of range if both radios were on a mountain top.  Or maybe over a large body of salt water haha. 

You'll be lucky to get a few miles out of them in normal use.  In really rough terrain you might get 1/2 to one mile or so.  But that's true of most hand held radios.  Also I noticed that is the Canadian amazon site.  So I assume you are in Canada. I do not know what the FRS/GMRS rules are up there I'll have to research that a bit.

Thanks for the help. One last question, i saw u said that people use baofengs without licenses. What would u tell a person who is going to do that. And what are like the penalties for doing said action. and would you recommend it over those type of radios. and whats the chance of getting caught. 

The baofengs just give you more power and more flexibility.  I could (in theory of course) run FRS, GMRS, MURS, and Itinerant Frequencies. 

I'm not sure in Canada but in the US the fines could be around 10 grand or so.  I've NEVER heard of someone getting charged for this as it's extremely hard to enforce and if you aren't stepping on other peoples frequencies (especially public safety frequencies that will get peoples attention real quick) and stay off the HAM bands no one is ever going to notice you.  There's no way for me to tell without a lot of special equipment, what kind of radio you are using by listening to my own radio. 

Example: Here in the US there were a couple of guys who were well known HAM Radio regulation violators for nearly 10 years on the High Frequency band.  This is the frequencies you use to talk around the world with.  Dozens of complaints had been filed.  The FCC sent out letters over the years but never took enforcement action.  After almost 10 years of this the FCC FINALLY did something about it and confiscated the guy's equipment and fined them.  I can't remember how much but it was in the thousands of dollars.

I don't tell that story to scare people off it's just to demonstrate how grossly in violation of the rules you have to be before anyone cares to lift a finger. 

I'd tell you and help you (if you were in my area) to program the radio for only FRS/GMRS/MURS frequencies and leave it set for those and to stay off of licensed frequencies especially public service freqs. 

You do need some basic know how to program these things even with a programing cable and software.   

Guest Specs

Most players I've seen use the Baofengs (of various types) without a license.  I have a HAM license and dont' hold it against some kids playing BB warz if they are running little low power HTs in the field.  I do try to educate them enough so they don't accidently transmit on frequencies that could get them in trouble though.  

This. I think that Baofengs clearly need a license if you plan on using them consistently outside of events, on your own chosen frequencies. However, for a one to two day period where you are only intermittently broadcasting 1-5 times a year, you aren't making a huge interference dent in the airwaves honestly. 

As you'll hear on most HAM forums, there are authorities hunting down and seeking out non-license abusers, but it's the guys broadcasting constantly. Our events by comparison probably go largely unnoticed, and AMS is always sure to give us fairly open and standard freqs to use so we aren't "stepping on the toes" of the radio community in whatever areas we play in. (They might even let the city know and to expect the traffic, though I can't be certain on that.) Mainly just gotta stay off the freqs in use by medical, law enforcement, and air traffic control.

There are HAM radio "fox hunters" out there.  Mostly older retired guys who make it their life's goal to find "bootleggers".  They use beam antennas and if you're transmitting constantly can easily triangulate your position by taking a few compass headings based off your radio transmissions.  

I've never seen or heard of any of them giving  a crap about FRS/GMRS/MURS though they focus on the HAM bands and people transmitting on them that shouldn't be there due to no license.  Sometimes local public services (Fire, ems, police ect) will have a good relationship with their local HAM radio clubs and will call them if they need assistance tracking down interference on their freqs.

But really there's no FCC boogie man lurking around every corner waiting to bust a kid for using a BAOFENG on license free bands. They don't have the resources or time to make that kind of effort.  There are bigger fish to fry out there.

That and the FCC has largely abandoned HAM and license free bands pushing enforcement actions down to local law enforcement very few of which by the way have the resources (again) to track people down using these.  And they'd have to know you were using them anyway which as I said early is nearly impossible to do without actually seeing the radio transmitting on the band it shouldn't be on.

Please be advised that FRS / GMRS channels are not going to be utilized at AMS OPs any longer.   If you wish to be able to communicate with UFS / COST leadership, platoon leads, squad leads, etc....  you will need a programmable radio.

Since you wont be using FRS/GMRS would something like this work? https://www.amazon.ca/Mengshen%C2%AE-UV-5RE-Portable-Transceiver-Earphone/dp/B01A6V49TU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_8?ie=UTF8&dpID=51TDIymJUTL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=JQQ9TJ2K39KCEJFJ0D9Z

Yes that is a Baofeng radio and would work fine after programing or teaching yourself how to "handjam" the freqs you need into them.  Man ya'll Canadians are getting ripped on those.  They're half the cost down here in the states.  I'm not sure what their complan is in the future but if it's all UHF a BF-888 (16 channel only programmable via computer but super simple radio over all.  Volume and channel knobs only) would work for you to and you can apparently get two for the cost of one UV-5R in Canada.

Yes that is a Baofeng radio and would work fine after programing or teaching yourself how to "handjam" the freqs you need into them.  Man ya'll Canadians are getting ripped on those.  They're half the cost down here in the states.  I'm not sure what their complan is in the future but if it's all UHF a BF-888 (16 channel only programmable via computer but super simple radio over all.  Volume and channel knobs only) would work for you to and you can apparently get two for the cost of one UV-5R in Canada.

I think its mot expensive because of our dollar at its current state

I prefer the Baofeng BF-888S over the UV5R simply because the 888 has the channel switch knob

on the top of the radio. So you only have to reach down and switch the channel and it will respond

with the channel number in your headset, that is much easier than having to pull the UV5R out

of the pouch and use the face keyboard to change channels. To me the only drawback is the 888

does not monitor dual bands, but at $13 on Amazon and you usually only monitor 1 or 2 frequencies

per OP and the power matches the UV5R - so to me it is a no brainer.

The power output of the BF-888 is half what a UV-5R is regardless of what the ad says on Amazon.  I've tested my batch of BF-888s and they all do about 2 to 2.5 watts across the UHF band, and changing the Tx power setting in CHIRP made no difference in my testing across 4 of them.  The UV-5R is advertised at 4 watts but all of my UV-5Rs put out 4.5 to 6 watts depending on what part of the bands you are in.  

The 888 is still a good radio though I've got a bunch of them.  If you want a dual band radio with a top mounted channel knob check out the Baofeng UV-B5.  Is basically a UV-5R with a different external case and a top mounted channel knob.  

https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Newest-Walkie-Talkie-5-watt/dp/B00BLORPGG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497126900&sr=8-2&keywords=UV-B5