• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

TierZero86

TierZero86

New to American MilSim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I understand the rules for a rifleman and ssw roles. I have a question for the in between point of the two. I will be running the krytac lmg and it has semi and full auto, accepts 5.56 type mags and has a fps of 385-397 with .20's.So technically it is able to fit the role of a rifleman. So my question is can I use it indoors in a semi automatic mode while running it as a ssw. If not; I would appreciate a proper justification.

Yankee-DTA

Yankee-DTA

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • LocationAMS Support Staff

LMG is not for indoor use.  I understand that you have the semi option but this would cause confusion and disrupt the current rule set.

You can never become comfortable, until you become comfortable, with being uncomfortable.

TierZero86

TierZero86

New to American MilSim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
1. Being a "milsim" enviorment...what would stop anyone in real life from using what ever primary weapon system they have indoors. Of course I mean a primary system such as a rifle, sub machine gun, shotgun or crew serve weapon. Not anything like a rpg or 40mm.
2. According to the rule set. All I would have to do to fire it indoors would be to switch from my box mag to a midcap to stop this so called "confusion".
3. That being said, can I get further clarification.

Yankee-DTA

Yankee-DTA

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
SQUAD SUPPORT WEAPONS

A squad support weapon is classified as an M249, M60, MG36, RPK, PKM, MG42 or any "Squad Automatic Weapon" either currently or formerly adopted as a military weapon. (M27 / IAR are NOT ALLOWED to be fielded as a SSW at this time.)

A. Squad Support Weapons (SSW) MAY operate in FULL -AUTO Mode but  NOT shoot in excess of 30 round per second.

B. 450 fps max @ 6mm x .20g for AEG/GBBR

C. 355 FPS max(1.88 J) w/ .32g for 6mm High Pressure Gas Weapons (Classics, PolarStars).

D. Limit TWO (2) SSW per squad.

E. Weapons using an external gas source must have a locked regulator to prevent field adjustment.

F. Operators of a SSW are required to carry either a standard AEG or sidearm to engage targets within the minimum engagement distances.

G. SSWs must break the plane of a building on lower floors when shooting out of a building.  You do not have to break the plane when shooting from upper floors.

H. SSWs may use winding “High Cap” type magazines with no more than 5000 rounds in magazines.

OR

I. SSWs may carry two box magazines.

J. SSWs have a Minimum Engagement Distance of 60 feet.

K. SSW's may not be used in engagements from inside to inside(within a building)

Please see F, J, and K.
You can never become comfortable, until you become comfortable, with being uncomfortable.

Blackbird

Blackbird

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

1. Being a "milsim" enviorment...what would stop anyone in real life from using what ever primary weapon system they have indoors. Of course I mean a primary system such as a rifle, sub machine gun, shotgun or crew serve weapon. Not anything like a rpg or 40mm.
2. According to the rule set. All I would have to do to fire it indoors would be to switch from my box mag to a midcap to stop this so called "confusion".
3. That being said, can I get further clarification.

As a fellow Krytac LMG user (OG limited edition 4 lyfe!) Here's the unfortunate realizations you need to accept as a guy running a Krytac.

1. Nothing. But a reminder: This isn't real life, and your fun isn't the only fun that matters. The guy your shooting deserves a good time too.

2. Incorrect. You're still a saw. Now you're just a SAW with a midcap. See #1 for why this is important.

3. Clarification: You're going to make all the other special snowflakes butthurt if you decide to start blasting people up close with your SAW. because the other SAW's can't do it.

The short version, insofar as I understand it is this. Admins, and other players, can't tell what FPS your gun shoots just by looking at it. SAW's are given a limit of up to 450 FPS for AEG's, and it would just get way to friggin complicated to start denoting every single player's MED at a 200+ (and AMS games can get very much over that 200+) player event by their own personal FPS. That's a logistical nightmare, and ultimately would serve to degrade the quality of the game as a whole. So when you breach a building with your super badass LMG that does cool tricks other LMG's can't do, and you blast a guy up close (whether it's with a midcap or not) he doesn't know what FPS you shoot. Neither does the admin who watched you do it (that you hopefully didn't also open up on earlier #sawproblems). since your gun COULD be shooting up to 450, which is not legal for the AMS allowed 0 MED roles, he's gonna get upset. He doesn't know your LMG is that good and still under 400 FPS. Neither does the admin by looking at your gun. This is an unfortunate fact of life for guys like us, with big bad krytac LMG's.

The idea behind the rulesets for an airsoft game, is to keep things flowing as smoothly as possible, while preventing potential stoppages to clarify things. That takes people out of the immersion (and sometimes fun) of an event. However, all of these rules are about compromise, to the benefit of the greater enjoyment of the attendees as a whole. Do you have to give up your ability to point blank some fools indoor with your BB Gat of choice? yeah. But, you get to flip the fun switch to multiple pew mode, and blast guys full auto, which nobody else gets to do. It's a trade off. You also have to stick to that 60 foot MED (which drives me batty, literally everywhere else I play is a 50 footer, and that 10 extra feet can catch you off guard, but i like to pew pew on full auto, so i suck it up and deal with it) but again, you get thousands more BB's to pew with before you have to go to the FOB and reload. It's all about trade offs. And not making everyone else super butthurt. It's all about being a good sport, not trying to min-max your playing ability to the detriment of the other guy's enjoyment. If you think you and your Krytac LMG have it a bit rough.... See how the guys who run IAR's that can't use them as SAW's feel.

That's the hard unfortunate truth to running a SAW. if you want to point blank guys, you have two options.

1. Get a pistol or other sidearm/backup/rubbery milsim death stick
2. Get a not-saw rifleman class legal AEG.

The rules are how they are, and they worked fine before fine pieces of airsoft machinery like the Krytac LMG rolled around. Rather than make the rules, and events, infinitely more confusing to account for how badass these guns we use are, we just need to play by the same rules as everyone else.

Disclaimer: I'm not (nor have I ever been) an AMS admin, but a few of them do hang out in my humble little airsoft shop a lot, and I did stay at a holiday inn express once.This is just how I look at things, and I find it makes me a bit happier about not being able to shoot guys point blank with my sub 400-fps semi-auto capable uber-bb-gat. Your mileage may very.

Posted Image

Yankee-DTA

Yankee-DTA

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

As a fellow Krytac LMG user (OG limited edition 4 lyfe!) Here's the unfortunate realizations you need to accept as a guy running a Krytac.

1. Nothing. But a reminder: This isn't real life, and your fun isn't the only fun that matters. The guy your shooting deserves a good time too.

2. Incorrect. You're still a saw. Now you're just a SAW with a midcap. See #1 for why this is important.

3. Clarification: You're going to make all the other special snowflakes butthurt if you decide to start blasting people up close with your SAW. because the other SAW's can't do it.

The short version, insofar as I understand it is this. Admins, and other players, can't tell what FPS your gun shoots just by looking at it. SAW's are given a limit of up to 450 FPS for AEG's, and it would just get way to friggin complicated to start denoting every single player's MED at a 200+ (and AMS games can get very much over that 200+) player event by their own personal FPS. That's a logistical nightmare, and ultimately would serve to degrade the quality of the game as a whole. So when you breach a building with your super badass LMG that does cool tricks other LMG's can't do, and you blast a guy up close (whether it's with a midcap or not) he doesn't know what FPS you shoot. Neither does the admin who watched you do it (that you hopefully didn't also open up on earlier #sawproblems). since your gun COULD be shooting up to 450, which is not legal for the AMS allowed 0 MED roles, he's gonna get upset. He doesn't know your LMG is that good and still under 400 FPS. Neither does the admin by looking at your gun. This is an unfortunate fact of life for guys like us, with big bad krytac LMG's.

The idea behind the rulesets for an airsoft game, is to keep things flowing as smoothly as possible, while preventing potential stoppages to clarify things. That takes people out of the immersion (and sometimes fun) of an event. However, all of these rules are about compromise, to the benefit of the greater enjoyment of the attendees as a whole. Do you have to give up your ability to point blank some fools indoor with your BB Gat of choice? yeah. But, you get to flip the fun switch to multiple pew mode, and blast guys full auto, which nobody else gets to do. It's a trade off. You also have to stick to that 60 foot MED (which drives me batty, literally everywhere else I play is a 50 footer, and that 10 extra feet can catch you off guard, but i like to pew pew on full auto, so i suck it up and deal with it) but again, you get thousands more BB's to pew with before you have to go to the FOB and reload. It's all about trade offs. And not making everyone else super butthurt. It's all about being a good sport, not trying to min-max your playing ability to the detriment of the other guy's enjoyment. If you think you and your Krytac LMG have it a bit rough.... See how the guys who run IAR's that can't use them as SAW's feel.

That's the hard unfortunate truth to running a SAW. if you want to point blank guys, you have two options.

1. Get a pistol or other sidearm/backup/rubbery milsim death stick
2. Get a not-saw rifleman class legal AEG.

The rules are how they are, and they worked fine before fine pieces of airsoft machinery like the Krytac LMG rolled around. Rather than make the rules, and events, infinitely more confusing to account for how badass these guns we use are, we just need to play by the same rules as everyone else.

Disclaimer: I'm not (nor have I ever been) an AMS admin, but a few of them do hang out in my humble little airsoft shop a lot, and I did stay at a holiday inn express once.This is just how I look at things, and I find it makes me a bit happier about not being able to shoot guys point blank with my sub 400-fps semi-auto capable uber-bb-gat. Your mileage may very.

Thank goodness that Holiday Inn Express is finally paying off.

TierZero86

TierZero86

New to American MilSim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I do understand the lmg/ssw role and rule set ...Blackbird you do a have a good point on a fair and fun experience for all who attend.
I do carry a side arm, BUT with all the indoor play I might carry a m4 or pdw as a secondary. Not to be all agro about it, but I'd rather be prepared. Still keeping to the rules ofcourse.
I was expecting to see atleast a few lmg enhanced's out there. Looking forward to IH, see you guys there.

Specs

Specs

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Arkansas

Most things that need be said have been said already. Essentially, the rules are concrete, an LMG is still an LMG, and that means it must adhere to SSW role restrictions. 

Those primarily being: 1. Can't fire indoors without a sidearm or backup weapon 2. If shooting from a building, must have muzzle exposed beyond the window plane on the first floor 3. Must adhere to FPS and ammo limits. 

That being said, you have an extra FPS breathing room you could step up to if you so desire. Enjoy running a lightweight SSW though. That in itself is a benefit.

Founder and SQL of Ozark Mountain Milsim.

Need a patch design? Team need some branding? T-shirts are fine too. Check me out at Specs Airsoft Design.

My business page here.

My professional site here.

TheJP

TheJP

AMS MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, OK

Most things that need be said have been said already. Essentially, the rules are concrete, an LMG is still an LMG, and that means it must adhere to SSW role restrictions. 

Those primarily being: 1. Can't fire indoors without a sidearm or backup weapon 2. If shooting from a building, must have muzzle exposed beyond the window plane on the first floor 3. Must adhere to FPS and ammo limits. 

That being said, you have an extra FPS breathing room you could step up to if you so desire. Enjoy running a lightweight SSW though. That in itself is a benefit.

This ---^

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."
THEJP
Facebook.com/THEJPAMS

EvilRedNeko

EvilRedNeko

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas
As I say to all the people with SSWs/LMGs that have a semi feature. Slap a x4 or a variable zoom optic on it and when you need more pinpoint shots or dont need to suppress switch to semi to save ammo. The fact that you can put regular M4 mags in yours just means you can bring highcaps and not buy extra box mags or even borrow a midcap if you really have to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users