American MilSim

Ok, I have a Mossberg 550 single-shot pump shotgun. I've noticed that there are no runes regarding shotguns. It is clip fed, but unfortunately high cap. There is another MilSim company in my area that allows Hi-Caps (because it's like introductory MilSim) as a rule states:

Players using Hi-Cap magazines/Winding Magazines may carry a maximum of 1 Hi-cap magazine.

NOTE: Hi-Cap magazines have been given the nickname “***** buckets†by the MilSim community across the United States. We are not a fan of Hi-Caps but we allow the use of 1 Hi-Cap to allow newer players to attend before they have any of their Mid-Caps built up. These are allowed but we make fun of Hi-Caps because we think they lower the level of game play and experience for all. MidCaps make for a much better player and community.

So, what is your opinion on shotguns?

I don't think we should allow high caps, personally. But if someone wants to run a shotgun, I think thats their choice. May not be a good one but hey, their money.

If you want to run it at your local place go ahead but just remember if it is a single shot then it is just a big springer. As far as AMS games go if it has a winding wheel or pull cord to wind an internal hopper with a large bb well then it is a no go.

Guest Specs

Shotguns are a bit of a gray area. I believe in the past that they have been considered more of a secondary weapon in addition to your primary, and as there is no limit on sidearm/secondary ammunition, that there's not technically a limit on high caps for them. 

It's still looked down on regardless since you aren't having to carry the mags for that much ammo like you would a pistol, but since it's a simple spring shotgun I don't think it's a huge deal. 

AMS staff's call of course.

It is a 180 hi-cap, but it does have a place to hold all the bbs. The clip its self holds 12 bbs at a time(actually 8,because the last 3-4 bbs don't feed.), but then after you have run out of shots, you have to take the clip out to shake it to get more bbs. Going with that, clips are VERY limited, so I only have 1 clip. ( correct me if I'm wrong on the clip. I don't think it is a magazine, as shotguns don't use magazines.)

High capacity magazines are only authorized in SSW.

A magazine holds shells under spring pressure in preparation for feeding into the firearm’s chamber. Examples include box, tubular, drum and rotary magazines. Some are fixed to the firearm while others are removable.

A cartridge “clip†has no spring and does not feed shells directly into the chamber. Rather, clips hold cartridges in the correct sequence for “charging†a specific firearm’s magazine. Stripper clips allow rounds to be “stripped†into the magazine. Other types are fed along with the shells into the magazine — the M1 Garand famously operates in this fashion. Once all rounds have been fired, the clip is ejected or otherwise released from the firearm.

In essence, clips feed magazines. Magazines feed firearms.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/gun-culture/9-misused-gun-terms/#ixzz3yx2KuaAr

If you run the 12 rounds it holds by itself then you would have only12 shots until you got back to an area where reloading is alloud. Though it would make it a more realistic shotgun ammo wise. Its a fun little backyard/local field gun it sounds like, but if you really like shotguns there are a lot of them that use shells that hold 30 bbs and either shoot 1 or 3 at a time (10-30 shots total). Those are aloud and cost between $100-$200. But it is still just a springer.

I run a UTG tri-shot shotgun rig at my local CQB venue to great effect but obviously that is not the same as a milsim engagement. The full length tri-shot models have decent range but their spread makes them ineffective for engaging small targets like a head and gun peeking around cover. That combined with their limited rate of fire severely limits the weapon's effectiveness for field play. However, the fact that it is a spring gun means that it is very reliable in all weather conditions and that it puts 3 bbs down range with each pull of the trigger and pump of the action means that you can match the fire output of many aegs on semi-auto albeit with limited range and accuracy. They are decent for supression and nearly guarantee a hit at moderate range and with practice and strategic shell placement can be reloaded VERY quickly. I can do a speed reload in about 3 seconds with the shells on my wrist caddy.

As for those shells, they are low cap mags each containing ten shots. I run two Condor shotgun reload pouches of shell mags plus four on my wrist and two on the gun for a total of around 48 shells. I can go all day shooting like it's cool without reloading the individual shells so that keeps it a little more milsim than removing and shaking a mag. I don't use it for open play because it sucks compared to an aeg at ranges beyond 60-75 feet but I always bring it along as a back-up in case someone has a malfunction. It is better to use a shotgun than to not play.

As for the single shot guns, it is not totally useless in milsim but it is not a wise decision as a primary weapon system. If you must carry it do so in a scabbard on your back incase your gun quits mid-firefight but don't rely on it. If you play with substandard guns, you're gonna have a bad time.

I run a utc tri-burst at my local cqb field to great effect. Got 5 shells for it. I've used it in outdoor play a couple times as well usually for suppression fire thanks to its slam-fire capability.

Most of my local outdoor fields have dense forests or lots of small, close knit barricades/structures that reduce engagement distance to cqb ranges.

So while a shotty isn't ideal for every locale, if used wisely it can be quite effective.

I haven't been to an ams event yet hoping to make broken home this year my first, from what I've heard about the area I'm not gonna have much use for it but you can bet you'll see me carrying it regardless.

I'm about to buy a CQB shot gun as a secondary to my SSW. Can I run those those 30rd shells in it? It's the 3 burst Matrix M3 shotgun.