American MilSim
Astronic

The Price is Right... Unfortunately

I would buy just the VERY BASICS first, because you are going to end up changing gear quite a bit until you "find what you like".

Get a good AEG, I suggest a Elite 4CRS.

2 Elite Force 11.1 batteries for your AEG

A good charger (Thunder AC6 like)

Box of Elite Force Midcap Mags.

Good Gortex Boots.

Good hiking socks (2 pair)

Good gloves.

Good Eye pro (M-Frames with Helo kit) or Goggles/Mask if you prefer, I hear the Valken Zulus are good.

Fogtech anti-fog.

Basic Chest Rig

Backpack with Hydration bladder.

Good post, especially considering I'm in the same boat.

I think if you look at it as "Total cost just to play a milsim OP" it's gonna be pretty damn steep. For me, I'm an indoor player making the jump to milsim so it's not *quite* as bad. Gear is something I'm slowly acquiring as I figure out what works and what doesn't.

"What else do you need besides a miracle?"

"Money, lots of money... To buy more guns, of course."

Well thanks to the matrix, I just added this to my signature. I think if I go iron sights, I'll be good. I do have a cheap Walmart sight that I can always mount to it (my gun) while in CQB. I'm pretty sure that you (Slimjmoo) don't upgrade your sights, you'll be able to save much more money. A sight AND a sight defender costs about $100 to get a good setup.

As for a gun, I'm running an Echo1 M4 ST6 AEG -dark earth. It comes with everything that you need to start Airsoft.

As for googles, I'm using Alpha Tactical V-Tac Goggles by Valken - Clear. http://www.evike.com/products/54796Yes, these are ANSI rated, and they are the cheapest ANSI rated googles that I could find.

As for tactical gear, I'm just running a Condor Tactical MOLLE Double Stacker Tactical M4 Mag Pouch http://www.evike.com/products/35132

It only holds 4 mags, but I'm light infantry, so I will only be carrying 700 rounds or so.

A dump pouch is always helpful, a place where you can hold your empty mags. I'm going to be using a Phantom Dump Pouch w/ Lid. http://www.evike.com/products/36649

Apparently, it holds a lot of mags. I'm pretty sure this is a good pouch.

As for the things that I don't need (or kinda need), I'm getting: gloves, an extra battery and smart charger, a hat, and Evike.com patch, a mesh face mask, a US flag patch, and a barrel cover.

Anyway, that's what I'm running, I cut the scope and scope protecter from my list, as it will save me money.

I hope this will help some people save money as all of the things that I listed come in at about $370 on www.Evike.com

Thanks!

Oh ya, I do have military ACU BDUs, but I'm looking for tan BDUs and knee pads at my local army surplus store.

Guest Specs

Agreed with JP. Milsim CAN be expensive, but doesn't NEED to be right off the bat. You'll notice at your first milsim event that there are a ton of people with great gear. I can guarantee that most of them didn't buy it all in one go. (And you shouldn't! Purchases need to be based on experience.) And I'd also consider how much it is to attend these events. Save all the money you can early on and spend as you go.

The big spends should be:

-A good quality gun. I would also say an AEG for your first. With spare batteries of course. Note that if your gun stops working from the constant use at a milsim event, you are out of luck. I'd even recommend buying a second backup gun to bring along in the future. Also learn to clean and maintain it after each event.

-Good boots. You're feet will thank you.

-Good Eye Pro. It's a safety must.

-Good mags and BB's. If they don't feed properly, your gun is useless.

As a reference point, I'd say that I spent roughly $300 for my first milsim event gear. Get the cheapest camo acceptable for your team (Woodland for COST, Tri-color desert for UFS) and buy the expensive camo's later. Some thrift stores will even have some.

Guest Specs

In regards to your purchases for maximum savings:

-Skip the optic and optic shield. Start with your iron sites. It's a good skill to start with anyway.

-Skip the US flag patch and get it later when you have the spare cash.

-Dump pouches while great and time saving, aren't a must. You could wait to grab one and for now put spent mags back in your pouches upside flipped.

Guest Specs

Knuckle gloves are preference really. Just depends on how much dexterity you want in a glove. I've run simple mechanix gloves for a while now and they work fine, but I do get some bleeding knuckles on occasion if I get in an close firefight.

I would recommend mag pouches of some kind. 

I'd also recommend sticking with irons at first.  Are you an experienced shooter?  Do you know what to look for/avoid with optics?   

I don't know that I'd recommend waiting until you're in CQB before you put on an optic, unless I'm misreading you.

Once you get more money and experience under your belt I'd recommend something like a Vortex strikefire or sparc.  Lifetime no questions asked warranty.  Even if you buy a used one, it's covered no questions asked.  The only dot I'd rather have is an Aimpoint(at twice the price).  I wish I could advise on an airsoft brand optic, but I've never looked into them.  I have scopes and dots lying around from my ARs, so I use those.