Recent Topics
Recent Facebook Activity
Upcoming Calendar Events
There are no forthcoming calendar events
Recent Status Updates
  • Photo
      15 Oct
    Mia Doll

If you really want to wear traditional dresses, just start to wear kilts. It’s the heritage of Scotland and resemblance of Scottish culture

View All Updates
June 2019
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Next Previous
Photo

Radio etiquette, SOP, etc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Zuzu

Zuzu

New to American MilSim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

I have a couple questions about radio etiquette and operating procedures.

I'm really interested in the subject because I work in LE/Emergency comms.  One thing that's a huge pain in the ass is superfluous chatter. We have SOP's for that but regardless, there's always those few who love to hear themselves talk or want to play IC(when they're not)-or they're just playing.  I imagine having hundreds of people who DON'T do this for a living would be chaotic and perhaps disastrous for efficient communication.  Is nonessential chatter a big problem at these events?  Truthfully, I'm fine not even bringing a radio if that's what I'll be hearing.  I'd rather have my mind in the game than chatting.   

Am I just worrying about nothing?      

Are there any types of SOPs or at least generally understood basic procedures for faction/squad/fireteam comms to cut down on all this? I understand the rules against eavesdropping and other clandestine shenanigans.  

Are there set channels for squads/fireteams?  PL tones?  

ShortRound

ShortRound

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Bump

Here, let me Google that for you....

Callsign Groot

Callsign Groot

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWashington
From my understanding, only SL's and QRFL's have comms with eachother and higher ups, as a rifleman, support gunner, etc you don't have access to comms so you won't have to worry about that. I've yet to attend, but I've seen many videos. Jet Desertfox has an OP Copperhead series that you can get a good idea of how it goes. Hope this helps!
"When the trigger pulls...it's just me." - Kable

Downs

Downs

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationDALLAS, TX

It's certainly a problem at some local and mid sized ops.  I'd imagine it's a problem at bigger ones as well and probably why some comms frequencies are kept secret.  

Keeping a com plan together can be quite complicated if you can't get cooperation from your team.  I have set it up before with different "channels" for a team I was playing with for a bit.  You had team wide channel for general chat/info exchange, fire team channels, and an HQ channel that was to kept clear except for comms between team leaders and the leadership.  

GHK A3 AUG

KSC G17

KWA LM4

KWA ATP

HSGI Battlebelt/TACOs/Safariland on Offset Drop/BAE systems Dump Pouch/HSGI Blowout Pouch

HSGI AO Chest rig/TACOs/HSGI radio Pouch/BAOFENG UV-5R

AR500 Veritas Plate Carrier/TACOs/Radio Pouch

Condor assault pack (sometimes)

Looney

Looney

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAndover kansas

every one has a radio but you are broken down to who you can get a hold of. your basic grunt can only comunicate with his squad of guys to help caal stuff out and find each other and realy info to his SL. the SL can talk to his Squad and his PL and the PL can TALK TO HIs SLs and the rest of the uper comand staff. if im mistaken let me know, At lest that was how it was for me at esr 4 in Alpha Co 

Attended events

Local ops

op Clean sweep

op Hornets nest

National ops

ESR-19 4

Alex AMS

Alex AMS

AMS Chief of Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,101 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, Tx

every one has a radio but you are broken down to who you can get a hold of. your basic grunt can only comunicate with his squad of guys to help caal stuff out and find each other and realy info to his SL. the SL can talk to his Squad and his PL and the PL can TALK TO HIs SLs and the rest of the uper comand staff. if im mistaken let me know, At lest that was how it was for me at esr 4 in Alpha Co 

It basically comes down to this. It just depends on if your using a BN or Company model, one just has an extra Tier.

My job is to clarify and enforce policy, not to make policy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users