American MilSim
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Specs

Hydration bladder in back panel pocket?

Guest Specs

Hello AMS community!

I'm underway with my post-OP ritualistic practice of looking over my gear, and attempting to minimalize weight and bulk on my PC. (At this time a JPC.)

I'm looking to shave down on back panel bulk, and recall reading something about placing your hyrdo in your rear plate pocket. Has anyone had experience with this process and the modifications involved? Or even if this is a successful concept? I currently have  false foam plate, and a channel could be shaved out to make some room for a small bladder. 

If your plates load from the top and it is comfortable for you I dont see why you could not do what you mentioned. I use a Condor hydration carrier that is just a large flat pouch that sits rather flat to the back of my PC and that is all that is on my back unless I choose to also use a back pack.

Guest Specs

If your plates load from the top and it is comfortable for you I dont see why you could not do what you mentioned. I use a Condor hydration carrier that is just a large flat pouch that sits rather flat to the back of my PC and that is all that is on my back unless I choose to also use a back pack.

Unfortunately mine unload from the bottom, so I know I'd have to at least mod in an opening to the top of the sleeve for routing the hyrdo tube. 

I might have a pig hydro carrier laying around that I would sell ya. Coyote brown. Lays Flat on the back of the plate carrier. Will include malice clips. If your interested.

So if you're wondering how that happened, I meant to post this on a completely different website. Now that forum has a random post about hydration panels.

Specs, I'm wary of putting a hydration bladder in the rear pocket of a PC because I fall a lot and I'm good at breaking things. It would be cool if you could find a way to have a low profile hardshell case for it to go into inside of the pocket. 

Guest Specs

So if you're wondering how that happened, I meant to post this on a completely different website. Now that forum has a random post about hydration panels.

Specs, I'm wary of putting a hydration bladder in the rear pocket of a PC because I fall a lot and I'm good at breaking things. It would be cool if you could find a way to have a low profile hardshell case for it to go into inside of the pocket. 

Agreed, I almost wish I had a hollow plastic plate so I could cut and modify it to hold a bladder internally. 

Part of me is conflicted with the entire idea as few service men and women would sacrifice their back armor plate for a more minimal water solution. But at the same time, my team is based on a more contractor-ish mindset, and with how many chest rigs you see out there, I could see  it being an option. 

Guest Specs

I might have a pig hydro carrier laying around that I would sell ya. Coyote brown. Lays Flat on the back of the plate carrier. Will include malice clips. If your interested.

Thanks for the offer rebel! I have hydro carriers however. I'm simply considering other options than external storage. 

Guest Specs

I've even considered doing a double bladder system, keeping a small bladder on each side of the cummerbund, with a Y split in my hyrdo hose that would run through the inside of the back plate pocket and out to the sides. That way the back panel could be completely bare for vehicle use and such. 

I scrapped the idea however as being a tad complicated. 

Guest Specs

The bladder that Solo linked for you is designed to replace your rear plate. ;)

I do love those bladders, but I'm also worried about the fit of your PC after going through half or more of the bladder's reserve. Would think things would start to feel loose. Wouldn't be a problem for anyone with quick adjust buckles on their sides, but for less quickly adjustable PC's it seems like a problem. 

I did this for a friend, and do not have any pictures, But....

I took a plastic SAPI plate, and a small 50oz source bladder.  I cut the shape of the bladder out of the plate using a saw.  You then put the bladder inside the plate, and slid it into the plate pocket.  When the bladder got empty, the plate would maintain the shape of the vest inside of the pocket.  These plates went into the plate carrier from the bottom, we just split the seam to the pocket, and had a tailor reinforce the edges of the hole, and ran the hose through that hole. 

I recently bought a whole new load out. Thought about it long and hard, Banshee plate carrier, with a LBX Mini map pouch with a 2 Litre Hydration Engine - G2 070 OZ. The setup weight's nothing on my back and it is flat and low profile, the best investment I have made. I am happy with my pack, easy to weave onto the back of my vest. Not to big or to small, it's perfect.

Thanks Bo and LBX

lbx-0306_rg-1_1.jpg  t300_7729d54e9d7833b834612f0c14af06c4.jp