AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
PMO Gordo

Nerf Rocket Cracked a HUMVEE Window!

We don't chrono them.  This is something that's been going around the campfire for quite some time.  Were just trying to figure out a way to do it. 

I've been using Shooting Chrony F-1: http://www.shootingchrony.com/manual_F1M1.htm#tech_specs.  It measures from 30 fps to 7000 fps, and has accuracy of 99.5% or better. It can measure both BBs and large-caliber projectiles, i.e. TAGinn projecitles and Nerf rockets. It can be bought used on Ebay for less than US$100.

RE: shooting people with 1000 FPS airsoft guns.  I'm not sure what point you were trying to make.  Please read what is written.  As a PhD graduate you should know that certain variables can be omitted to transmute the conclusion.

RE: "Hardon for TAG..."  Sorry, this was not very clear.  I meant to say you are obviously promoting TAG equipment.  I just read your intro, so that makes a lot more sense.  Thank you for posting that.  It is hard to determine what the leading cause behind a post is without background information on someone.

It's actually 80 FPS reduction, from 230 to 150 FPS. In terms of kinetic energy, it drops from 78 J (enough to cause fatality) to 40 J (enough to break jaw bones). 

Reread what you wrote in your third post. Your response ignored everything else I posted, including the question.

"They reported that there are instances when players had their masks knocked off or got the wind knocked out of them at 230 fps", followed by "@ 222 FPS its potentially fatal".  

Allow me to rephrase it: You have two different FPS' listed here.  On the first post, you list that players have reported masks removed/winded at 230 FPS by way of an unknown/nonlisted nerf projectile.  The second FPS (222) is specific to the Nerf Pocket Vortex.  I was asking what the first projectile was, because it was the same thing then you need to revise your post.

Hope that clarifies things!

Dave he is copy pasting an old post of mine...
The fps was 150, from the M1107 rapid fire mortar, F1 beta crony 

The issue in not the nerf, but the lack of safety standards... AKA keep it under 40j

I have seen launchers @ AMS events that were 360+fps on a nerf!!!!!

40j will give you plenty of range, especially in scale to airsoft range

many milsim players who want/try/expect rockets to be a "wonder weapon" with massive stand off smiting there foes from there FOB 
individual AT is SHORT ranged! tank busting is down and dirty..
1st round shot probability
LAW has a 50/50 chance of hitting a fully exposed,non moving tank, sitting in the open, at 200m.. (17% at 250m). 
AT4 is 50/50 at 300m
RPG is 30% at 300m 
WELL with in the range of the armor's MGs and infantry support.
There has been a lot of crying about Vehicles in AS in the last 2 yeas. the problem is expectation, sure your little m203 may have lobed a foam rocket and glanced a blow on that truck, but guess what if you didn't hit hard enough for the crew to here it, you out of effective range, close to "real" distances (1/2 rifle range) put a round in them at 75/100' and they WILL hear it!
this aint battlefield, this is milsim!

I thought I smelled familiarity.  The question becomes, who, if anyone, is chronoing correctly? 

If the linked video was tested at FPS, surely we don't want to lob projectiles at that velocity as well?  Do you know how many joules you were getting with the M1107 with those nerf balls?

why is it that no one adds the Kinetic Energy Variable, a heavy object does pickup energy when it slows down and impacts. a Nerf Ball is definitely known to do that. i was an admin when i was hit in the face by one at a local game,we were using them to destroy the "Helicopter" on our field, it was fired out of a Law Style Launcher and was traveling at an estimated 250 fps at a range of about 40 meters. let me tell you out of experience. Nerf Balls WILL punch...HARD. hit me hard enough it caused me to see little Stars and angry Birds. our Resident paramedic just happened to be playing that day. i wasn't injured to the extent that i needed an ambulance ride, but i still had a headache. 

Which is good reason to not target groups of players with them. 

in one of The DesertFox's videos of OP Copperhead, during the exchange of conflict of Rules, with the Evike Hummer and the Blue Technical, i noticed the Driver had gotten out of the truck and used a Grenade pistol to shoot a rocket at the hummer, it traveled just faster than the hummer, and hit, which says it didnt have velocity or RANGE. those we dont need to worry about. it is the LONGER BARREL launchers that can cause issues.

Don't know if any of this is Relevant, but just my .02 in this thread.

Dave IIRR the advarge on that group of nerfs was 32g... (form batch to batch I have seen any were form 28-36 grams) so right about 33 joules, under the 40j  suggested limit ... ie we cant prove whats "safe" but we have studys proving 40j is "unsafe" so we know more is not
90 fps on a 60g water balloon(22.5j) does the same thing right threw
for reference TAG rounds are about 33.5j, my rockets in TAG shells gives a long m203  30j ,18" bulpup launcher is  42j
So this kind of energy is  now fairly "common" on the feild .. it is worth to note a PB4 40mm shell and long  203 is only 7.3j so the sport has see a HUGE jump in under barrel power in the last 2 years... in the "old" days you would be hard pressed to hurt some one with a 203 rocket, not not so much.

Alex- get one of these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/531741/shooting-chrony-f1-chronograph?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google&gclid=Cj0KEQiA0-GxBRDWsePx0pPtp4sBEiQACuTLNt1hS_XgJ-Mo12tstSsHebQ8cttAfpzUjpZ-Nzgt3voaAo2z8P8HAQ
$100, works like a dream, I have had mine sence I started dinking with rockets in 02
you just need a bit of stand off so you don't  crono the vaper cloud.

I can go intepth if people wish (high speed impact footage, hevy math, blunt-force trauma study's with ballistic clay, etc) but I don't think most people care
the bigest issue is AS lack of head protection.... 30-40j to a M-frame would have some conquences.... but we don't have the injury record to back that up

while on the subject, I have been seeing some photos of the large nerfs at AMS events, even lobed they come in at over 100j

I know you and I have talked offline about M-Frame testing.  Injury record is an interesting way to put it...

So, let's get to the bottom of this.  What should we do to move forward?  Since the AT launchers are very much homegrown, is there a standard that can be achieved?  Should we standardize the projectile, or at least create a selection pool?

sepreat issue..  I think when we were talking it had to do with their  Z87 "glasses" rating of  1.04j vs the z87 "goggle" rating of 2.89j at game were people were shooing 2.80j (550 fps w/.2s).. 

not picking on the M-frames, just pointing out that entire style of eye pro would fair  worce then a full sized  goggle in taking a rocket to the eye socket, about 14j to fracture that. 

yes there should be a standard, my rockets ! lol

Top of my head as a start for the projo I would say 60g or less, made of flexible foam with no hard plastic, and some were sub 40j  muzzle engery

for home built launchers
metal airchambers, turny locks on regs, 125psi pop off valves.... or just make all  homebuilt ones 40mm shell based, with the TAG gas shells  and foam rockets they will have plenty of range and then some