AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
Sign in to follow this  
TacticalTango

New to Milsim/Airsoft and needs help with gear selection

I am new to the world of airsoft and milsim and I would like some help in the selection of my gear I have plans on going to Faded Giant 4 in South Carolina but, I dont know what gear I am going to need and what I should have. I want to play as a rifleman I really appreciate any help I receive from the community :D

There are a number of identical threads on this exact topic.  Look through the archives and run a search.  Come back with refined questions and this will be a lot more helpful.

Guest Specs

What Dave said above. ^^^

I would add a few comments though: 

1. Chances are you won't stick with your first gear setup for long. I would highly encourage you to buy *somewhat* cheap repro gear starting out to figure out what you enjoy using. Once you have an idea of what gear is most practical for your setup and playstyle, then you should look into higher quality stuff with more features. 

2. You might try and find friends or groups that already have gear and check out/try their stuff.

3. Do some simple mental drills with your current weapon platform. Where would you be most comfortable reloading from? Are you wanting to run a fairly lightweight load, or can you handle some extra weight? Do you spend a lot of time in the prone position? Do you want to run subloads? Do you want to integrate a backpack into your kit? Will you be in and out of vehicles often? (If so running minimal stuff on your back is important, or having something easily removable.) 

4. Get your pencil and paper on. Look and see what's out there and would fit you well then lay out where your ideal number of molle rows and such should be. Us that as inspiration for what gear you should get.

5. Watch youtube videos on gear reviews. 

After all that is said and done, I'd throw down your cash. Think it out, see what's out there, and DON'T just settle on what everyone else is running. Trends aren't your friend in many cases and limit you.

Hey There,

I am looking for well made quality body gear like a vest or something in that area please don't be rude I am realitivly new to mil-sim and whatnot, up until now all I have experienced are back yard battles and short days at Sogo air soft in my home town. Feed back would be greatly appreciated! And always stay safe!

-Call sign Zulu

Side-notes

* I am using a Ak-47 platform

* No sidearm yet in need of funds

* I have 5 clips 

* I have no other gear literaly I have the fully stock gun but am about to get a new battery, charger, clips and sights

Guest Specs

Side-notes

* I am using a Ak-47 platform

* No sidearm yet in need of funds

* I have 5 clips 

* I have no other gear literaly I have the fully stock gun but am about to get a new battery, charger, clips and sights

5 mags.  ;)  Stripper clips haven't been used for quite some time, and certainly not on any semi-modern combloc platforms.

But if you are pretty tight on cash, you may consider a simple Chicom rig to get you by till you have the cash and informed experience to make a bigger purchase on something nicer. 

My first rig was one of the cheap and simple molle rigs that Condor offers. (The MCR3 I believe.) Gives you just enough space for some ammo and essentials, but also that modularity if you want to swap and move things later. All in all though I'd give you the same advice I gave above. ^^^

I figured out how to spend 250 dollars on a high end chicom-style rig.  Best thing ever.

The issue with gear is that if you have never trained with it or had instruction in it you are kind of going in blind.

Best advice I could give is figure out what you're current issues are,

Figure out what you would like to be able to do,

Then look into what pieces of gear can best accommodate your solutions to make you better.

Personally I am all about flexibility. I roll with a Fox Tactical plate carrier with a ton of molle real estate. If I need something like more mag holders, pockets, hydration packs or whatever I can just slap it on somewhere. If I don't like how it is situated, I can move it around with out too much headache. I think I spent $80 for it.

My other (first) vest was a zip up tactical vest with cross draw pistol hostler on a angled molle patch and 3 integrated M4 Mags,a tactical belt with several pistol mag holders and a lot of molle on the back. It was $60 I think.

Get a good backpack, something that holds hydration, extra clothes, ammo, and stuff and molle real estate is always a good idea. Make sure it is water resistant as well.

Think flexibility at first and tailor the gear to your needs. Its always a work in progress to be sure.

Sign in to follow this