AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
Doc Dodge

General Non-Specific All-Around Tips For NOOBS

This is where the more experienced airsoft players can offer tips and tid bits of information to help the noobs and others with any aspect of the sport. I shall begin.

Whenever you eat at a fast food resturant, get several extra packets of condiments and collect them in a zip-lock type bag in your refridgerator.

It's always a good thing to have a handy serving of ketchup or taco sause to make canned foods or MREs taste better in the field.

Never start a land war in Asia.

Also never trade you Cheese tortellini MREs for anything. They are in my opinion the best ones there are in terms of entree and sides; don't let the vegetarian tag throw you.

Also never trade for anything breakfast related when it comes to MRE's they are all aweful.

Keep a cool head on the field; yelling, cussing and calling hits for others only makes for a long and less than pleasant day. Use your Admins/RSOs, they are there for you.

Also never trade you Cheese tortellini MREs for anything. They are in my opinion the best ones there are in terms of entree and sides; don't let the vegetarian tag throw you.

No. 9 Beef Stew is the best

Wear ski socks, or wool socks to help your feet wick moisture. Also bring medical tape to tape your heals if you have any slippage in your boots. If no medical tape just use duct tape.

Rub in a thin layer of dish soap inside your goggles to keep them from fogging.

Go buy a yard or two of red cloth from walmart, cut it up and have extra dead rags for you and your team. They come in handy when dropped or if a new player shows up to a game without one. It's cheap and helps curb on-field hit issues.

Two places in Tulsa on Frankfort between 13th and 11th streets for outdoor, camping, military gear and uniforms,,,

Gunboat Park Surplus has a big selection of LC-1, ALICE, MOLLE gear, boots and BDUs.

http://myworld.ebay....sid=p4340.l2559

Just Camp has everything you'll need to camp with dirt cheap.

http://www.justcamp.com/

Great Low Prices and a wide variety of gear.

You are right, Sir. Post Corrected.

When I used to hike a lot on Active Duty, I would wear knee-high nylon socks under wool socks.

No blisters and it wicks the sweat away from the feet. Use Gold Bond powder in your socks and boots.

I second that on the Gunboat Park surplus store. Bring some money, because once you find the place finally, you will kick yourself for not buying at least something. Seriously. Their prices are like I've never seen before on pouches and web gear. It's like they robbed some place - but didn't. LOL

STAY OFF THE RADIO.

your team should never be far enough apart that you cannot communicate with hand signals or simply talking. The radio is for inter (not intra) team communication.

LEARN HAND SIGNALS.

the human voice is one of the most distinguishable sounds, keep talking to a whisper except when you are already engaged.

YOU ARE NOT RAMBO!

carry one weapon system and a side arm (read pistol) if you chose to. Practice until you are deadly with that weapon system. It is not your job to carry enough special weapons to neutralize armor, disarm bombs and set up a minefield. If you have a piece of equipment you have not used in a couple games. ditch it. Also, big games are NOT the place to test new equipment.

because this is a milsim forum i will ad one last tip:

KILLS DON'T MATTER!

The only thing that matters is whether or not your unit accomplishes their specific objective. Almost always other teams are relying on yours to accomplish your objective so that they can accomplish theirs, so get it done. If your leader didn't do a good job of telling you what the mission is, ask. You might just have to take over the unit if your leader dies.

Don't spend TOO much money on your first gun. Get something reputable of good quality and then play a lot with it. You may find something else you really want in a relatively brief time.

spend a day couple days walking around in the full rig you are going to wear, make sure nothing is rubbing or binding up. and once you get everthing set right keep it that way, as we say in the triathlon world don't change anything on race day. dont carry every little peice of gear you have and check to see if a team mate might is already carring it, ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain. and Sloppy Joe MREs are the best, just saying.

Dont be a Noob!!! Just kidding.. No seriously... Dont be a Noob!! I Kid I Kid.

I personally learned alot by watching more experienced players. Watch Videos of game play or even better when you are at a game watch what the experienced players do. Durring down time "Dead, respawn or breaks" ask them why or how they did something. Such as breaching a building. Or bounding and taking a point.

Listen to Command.. If an experienced player is in command and tells you to do something or shoot a direction listen to them.

Most important is to have FUN and be SAFE.

Caveboy

Listen to the older guys who have been playing for a long time. You just might learn something. A lot of stories we older guys know can be a great help in any situation.

Always carry a spare set of batteries for all of your electronics including your AEG, you never know if they will run dry in the field. Also using a ziplock baggy for said batteries in a shoulder pocket works very well.

Just because you have Molle real-estate does not mean you need to put a pouch there, look for alternatives to adding more pouches (shoulder pockets, thigh pockets ect). Looking like a tactical life preserver is a sure sign of being a noob :P

Have your AEG inspected by a qualified guntech prior to a big op, this will save you the grief of having that piston shred on you when it was on its last leg ect.

Invest in quality gear, rather than buying inferior products multiple times and throwing away money (when in doubt most real steel level gear will always outperform clones).

Only carry what you "need" into the field, I watched a guy last who looked like a tactical pack mule fall out as a heat casualty after about 15 minutes in game. Find lighter alternatives for whatever you are using, shave weight any way you can without sacrificing operational capability.

-If you are wearing ALICE/M56 gear, replacing the clips with black zip ties can shave some weight.

-Don't skimp on water. carry the largest hydration bladder you can. I personally carry a 100 oz.

-Support gunners with drum mags: take wide mouthed bottles (gatorade, 1 liter mountain dew, juice) and rinse them out thoroughly. let them dry for about three days. then carefully transfer your BBs from the bags to the bottles. write the weight and "bio" or "plastic" on the bottle. saves time loading. Also, use a brighter BB. this allows you to communicate direction even if you can't hit the target by saying either "Watch my fire" or "watch my tracer".

-In wooded terrain, do not set a scope higher than 3-4 power. you spend more time focusing on leaves than the opposition.

-When the first shot is fired, stealth goes out the window. communicate verbally then.

Good call ! Dirtpro and I both use zipties on our LC-2 gear.

I'm going to be trying out a Camelbak Pakteen belt-mounted hydration pack with a hose, to keep my chest and back clear. Plus, I will be driving a vehicle some during the games, so the loadout pouch situation is getting shifted around once again.

-In your gear bag, keep a couple canteen pouches. these can double as mag pouches, medic pouches, or GP pouches for carrying things. the modern style MOLLE ones are especially good for this, and will carry 4 M14 style mags.

-Keep a roll of electrical tape to tape down hanging straps, tape sling attachments to minimize noise, or a sling that slips loose from its attachment point.

-don't carry things like speed loaders and loose extra bbs in the field, the shaking is a dead giveaway.

-a good rule of thumb is :when you're not shooting, or reloading, you should be hydrating!

-make sure to communicate everything you can with your team. if you're new to this, try to battle buddy up with someone who knows what they're doing

-dust your feet with powder, and wear dry fresh socks whenever you can. your feet will thank you

-the cargo pockets in your BDU are perfect for holding MRE's that you've taken out of the large brown pack. you can also eat while you're moving easily if you tear the corner off the foil and squirt your meal out.

-Don't overpack yourself, also, things like shemaughs and facehoods are just going to cause you to overheat, especially if you're not used to the altitude or humidity

-If you have a camelbak or water bladder NEVER NEVER NEVER put anything but water in it. that is, unless you enjoy intestinal distress when the sugar and heat turns your juice into a fermented science experiment

-your M4 doesn't need that many attachments.

-Stay with your squad, even if what you're doing at the time is boring, if you decide to run off in the woods and get killed, your team has to carry your weight, or worse, lose time and even players who try to rescue you!

- when moving through the woods, don't let branches snap back into the guy behind your's face

-also, if theres a hole, or drop off, or loose step, or other hazard, let the guy behind you know