• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

badger8182

badger8182

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Has there been any thought given to whether or not the new Milsim West Tourniquet http://milsimwest.co...sim-tourniquet/will be allowed in the future at AMS events?

"Well-trained and motivated people will do better with mediocre equipment then mediocre people will do with the best gear in the world." - Patrick A. Rogers

Specs

Specs

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Arkansas

I'm certain staff has discussed it, but there's probably a discussion of concept ownership and the statistics involved in overhauling the current medic ruleset. (Which works fine at the moment.) 

Founder and SQL of Ozark Mountain Milsim.

Need a patch design? Team need some branding? T-shirts are fine too. Check me out at Specs Airsoft Design.

My business page here.

My professional site here.

xxhonzoxx

xxhonzoxx

New to American MilSim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew York

The healing system for MSW is:

First hit = Battle buddy (Any body can heal you via Ace wrap or said Tourniquet)

Second hit = revive via medic by drinking a bottle of water

Specs

Specs

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

I do like that that gives any squad member the ability to revive that first time. 

I think that in itself is what erks me about the current medic rules. There's such an emphasis on medics (and I can understand why, they're important in any combat scenario) that everyone needs them at all times. If you are a medic, it's hard to even find time to really play at these events due to the sheer number of people requiring your attention. People in my squad dislike being medic for that reason. Because they hate being helpful? No, but because it's difficult to stay with the squad they signed up with, and it's hard to fit in enough trigger time in that role to meet registration costs. That shouldn't be the case. Sure you could sign your squad up without someone assigned to the medic role, but that only makes things more difficult as any downed member is then crippling the squads ability to stay together and enjoy the event.

Not to mention that if you are split from a main group and without a medic and are downed, you pretty much have to go to respawn. On some of the bigger AO's like BH, there's just little to no chance a medic will get to you in time unless you are in one of the bigger combat zones. 

Giving that first revival option to anyone would help spread that duty out a bit. Doesn't have to be tourniquets I guess, just bandage count. And aren't most service men and women deployed with at least a basic medical knowledge for stabilizing or minimum trauma control?

Need a patch design? Team need some branding? T-shirts are fine too. Check me out at Specs Airsoft Design.

My business page here.

kyaotraps

kyaotraps

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, NC

I'll medic for you specs. I don't care as long as the people I'm with and myself have fun. I like the idea of buddy aid, for a first hit or if they're hit in say the arm or leg rather then head or torso. But yeah, medic role can suck, but hey someone's gotta do it.

Specs

Specs

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

I feel like that's the thing though. That "someone's gotta do it" mentality just shows how much of an unfun position it is for most people. Some people live for it I know, but it would be nice to have something in place to give them a little breathing room and to give lone fireteams a bit more flexibility.

My business page here.

kyaotraps

kyaotraps

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, NC

I think that anyone who goes medic should be told up front what it's going to happen / what is expected. I don't know though. I'm willing to do anything as long as I have a team (missing one currently) that is going to work hard and have fun. I think a medic should be able to be battle buddy aided for their first hit rather then there having to be another medic to aid them, at least for the first hit. (If that's already in place, then ignore.) But back to the MSW tourniquet, I think it's just as useful as the bandages that are currently used.

Specs

Specs

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

I like the time it takes to apply the 4 foot bandage.

Perhaps the tourniquet option could work for the first revive, but the secondary full revive would require a bandage. That would give a quick visual as well for non-medic personnel if they have only been downed once (by seeing nothing on them), and also let a medic know if they are needed to get that person up a second time. (by seeing the applied tourniquet)

My business page here.

TheJP

TheJP

AMS MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 3,294 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, OK

Currently any type of "Tourniquet" is NOT ALLOWED in AMS events as a method of Bandaging a player.

The logic behind this is that "Medic'in" a player is a TIME consuming ordeal. To properly wrap a 4 foot bandage around an arm or leg consumes much more time then the 2-3 seconds it takes to remove and apply a Tourniquet.

I can't tell you how many times I have waited for a squad medic to being "bandaging" their wounded to pick them off, if they simply had to apply a Tourniquet I doubt I'd have half as many medic kills.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Tourniquet and other events medic rules.

Don't frett, AMS already has the gears turning on some new ideas you'll see either later on this year on in 2016.

Edited by TheJP, 18 June 2015 - 05:39 PM.
Wordz...

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."
THEJP
Facebook.com/THEJPAMS

Specs

Specs

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Don't frett, AMS already has the gears turning on some new ideas you'll see either later on this year on in 2016.

I trust you guys.  ;) Doesn't have to be a tourniquet at all. I would put in my vote for opening up that first revive though, or somehow giving a minor medic ability to the non-medic player.

My business page here.

badger8182

badger8182

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

I'm certain staff has discussed it, but there's probably a discussion of concept ownership and the statistics involved in overhauling the current medic ruleset. (Which works fine at the moment.)

I agree with all points. I was just curious. Thanks for the responses.

"Well-trained and motivated people will do better with mediocre equipment then mediocre people will do with the best gear in the world." - Patrick A. Rogers

TheJP

TheJP

AMS MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 3,294 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, OK

I agree with all points. I was just curious. Thanks for the responses.

Not a problem, we discussing a method to bring you the best of both worlds ;)

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."
THEJP
Facebook.com/THEJPAMS

badger8182

badger8182

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I know. I haven't interacted with many organizations that have the open dialog with amd listen to their customer base like you guys. That's why I was curious about your take.

Like you I am torn. The fact that products are like this are being designed and manufactured with Milsim in mind is great. But the purpose of a tourniquet in the real world is snignificantly different than in a Milsim game obviously.

kooler

kooler

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationbuffalo ny
Please don't make me drink water

Owner of the War Zone airsoft battle field in Niagara Falls N.Y.

www.thewarzoneairsoft.com

The worst things that have been done to me, I have done to myself

badger8182

badger8182

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Please don't make me drink water

I have to admit it took a few reads of that rule on MWS before I accepted that it wasn't a joke. It's certainly a unique approach to implementing milsim medical procedures.

Doc Dodge

Doc Dodge

AMS Staff Medic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationStill on duty

As a REAL WORLD nurse and former combat medic, I DO NOT like the term 'tourniquet' used in anything other than the strictest medical sense.

Ace Wraps are fine. Heck, at Dollar Tree you can  get red ones for $1 each.

MSW is just trying to make a few $$s off the unwitting geardos in the airsoft community.

91B20/19D20 1974-1988

"Silverbacks don't run. We swagger, stagger, mosey, huff, puff, stroll, roll, troll, trot, sneak, seek, hide, glide, slide, ride, stride, and take lots of well-deserved breaks, but we DO NOT RUN."

--Doc Dodge

Doc Dodge

Doc Dodge

AMS Staff Medic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationStill on duty

P.S. You will HYDRATE!!!

91B20/19D20 1974-1988

"Silverbacks don't run. We swagger, stagger, mosey, huff, puff, stroll, roll, troll, trot, sneak, seek, hide, glide, slide, ride, stride, and take lots of well-deserved breaks, but we DO NOT RUN."

--Doc Dodge

Doc Dodge

Doc Dodge

AMS Staff Medic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationStill on duty

P.P.S.  I do like the idea of 'buddy-aid'.

91B20/19D20 1974-1988

--Doc Dodge

badger8182

badger8182

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

As a REAL WORLD nurse and former combat medic, I DO NOT like the term 'tourniquet' used in anything other than the strictest medical sense.
Ace Wraps are fine. Heck, at Dollar Tree you can get red ones for $1 each.
MSW is just trying to make a few $$s off the unwitting geardos in the airsoft community.

Sorry Doc. Didn't mean to offend or upset anyone.

Doc Dodge

Doc Dodge

AMS Staff Medic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationStill on duty

No worries, amigo. ;)

91B20/19D20 1974-1988

--Doc Dodge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users