American MilSim

DESIGNATED MARKSMAN RIFLE (DMR)

Designated Marksman Rifle is a special purpose weapon; it is a standard infantry rifle equipped with optics that have been enhanced for longer range and accuracy. Some examples of a DMR are - M16, SR-25, PSG-1, M14/M21, G36, AUG, G3-SG3, Dragunov (SVD) etc... Bolt action rifles may also function as a DMR as long as they adhere to the Max FPS.

A. Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) may ONLY operate SEMI-AUTO mode, and must be physically incapable of firing in full-auto.

B. 450 fps max @ 6mm x .20g, 345 fps max @ 8mm x .34g for AEG/GBBR

C. 355 FPS max (1.88 J) for 6mm x .32g for High Pressure Gas Weapons (Classics, PolarStars).

D. Limit ONE (1) DMR per squad (or otherwise stated).

E. Weapons using an external gas source must have a locked regulator to prevent field adjustment.

F. Operators of a DMR are required to carry either a standard AEG or sidearm to engage targets within the minimum engagement distances.

G. Mid or Real Cap Magazines only.

H. Minimum engagement distance of 60 feet.

I.  Carbine rifles do not qualify for DMR

This is in the rules section. So no. Running a m4 (standard) is not going to qual your gun into the DMR category. 

So my Question is very Simple.

What kind of Airsoft guns are/aren't allowed to be used as DMRs?

Per the rules:

DESIGNATED MARKSMAN RIFLE (DMR)

Designated Marksman Rifle is a special purpose weapon; it is a standard infantry rifle equipped with optics that have been enhanced for longer range and accuracy. Some examples of a DMR are - M16, SR-25, PSG-1, M14/M21, G36, AUG, G3-SG3, Dragunov (SVD) 

Use these as examples, shouldn't be hard to find DMR configurations for various platforms.

What I'm trying to determine is if I made my JG M4 S-System look like the one pictured, if i could use it as a DMR.

The difference between the one in the picture and mine, is mine would have a fixed stock, collapsible sights, a slightly longer RIS, would use M4/M16 Mags, and of course only shoot Semi.

11182198_10155604565900121_1976573685830

if you will be realistic (which the DMR rule is meant to be)then your set up is just a suppressed m4 with a OP scope, honestly if you really want to just build a 20'' upper and use your m4 lower that way it is like the C7A2 and will likely be cheaper in the long run as you now have basically 2 guns

Guest Specs

Like the others mentioned. Realistically, if the gun could or would normally be considered a standard rifleman longarm, then it wouldn't qualify for DMR use. 

A good rule of thumb to follow would be:

1. Is it semi auto capable (and only so?)

2. Is it fairly long in length without any modification?

If so, chances are it's a DMR qualified weapon. You could also determine what sort of ammo it's real steel counterpart would use. If it's a larger caliber such as 7.62 then that's also a good sign.

Of course be sure that whatever you go with meet's that 450 FPS limit and that you have a backup sidearm or standard rifle for closer engagement distances.

What I'm trying to determine is if I made my JG M4 S-System look like the one pictured, if i could use it as a DMR.

The difference between the one in the picture and mine, is mine would have a fixed stock, collapsible sights, a slightly longer RIS, would use M4/M16 Mags, and of course only shoot Semi.

11182198_10155604565900121_1976573685830

This is a no go.

Does it meet the DMR qualifications?

Folks this isn't hard... if it meets the rule set, then it meets the rule set.  If not, then head on back to the store and get something else.

This is a no go.

And herein lies the problem.

M4 would be a carbine and is not one of the examples authorized.  No problem, just reading comprehension.

At what point is his gun no longer classified as a carbine?  Longer than 16" barrel?

At what point is his gun no longer classified as a carbine?  Longer than 16" barrel?

By definition for an M16 platform the barrel would have to be longer then 20in.  This would be the full sized rifle length, and not the carbine length.

By definition for an M16 platform the barrel would have to be longer then 20in. This would be the full sized rifle length, and not the carbine length.

Would this mean that 18" SPR builds wouldn't be acceptable as a DMR then?

I'm trying to get some clarification because currently, the rules a very open ended.

BLUF: a gun is no longer classified as a carbine when the host nation does not refer to it as the carbine model of their issued rifle.

All military rifles have designations for their different designs/variants.  Let's use three examples, the Steyr AUG, the HK G36, and the SA80.  

Steyr has specific dimensions laid out for its carbine version of the AUG, which includes a 16" (opposed to 20") barrel and a 27.2" overall length.  The carbine model is referred to as the A2.

The HK G36 has a shorter barrel version which is referred to as the G36K.  Too lazy to look up the specific dimensions, but the "K" is referred to as the G36 carbine.

SA80 also has a carbine version , the L22.

Each of these (AUGA2, G36K, and L22) are all referred to as the carbine version of their respective standard issued counterparts.  Remember that the ruleset is insistent (for our purposes) that a DMR is a standard infantry rifle that has been modified for longer range engagement.  So, to answer your question, a rifle stops being a carbine when it no longer meets the specifications of its real world carbine equivalent.  The rulesets are specific that it has to meet the specifications of a "standard" issued variant, which in most cases is the full length version.

Its funny because m16s only gain ~100 meters of effective range over m4s. Lots of SOCOM guys run variable power optics on carbines now.DMRs are a lot less about which rifle and a lot more about how its setup and employed. .