American MilSim
Cirrus

Why is camo so friggin expensive

So, I've never gone to a milsim event before and I wanna run multicam but just to get pants and a jacket I'll be pushing $100. After getting all my gear picked out to match I'll be pushing $900 to $1000. Where do you guys get your stuff?

Guest Specs

Zone and Dave have it right. $100 on a multi set is pretty standard for the knock off brands unfortunately. But it's generally a one time purchase if you stick with your faction, so consider it an investment. Gear though... you'll be changing that over and over and over and over. So I'd recommend getting your gear in a neutral color should you switch sides at some point.(Coyote for example works well with UFS and CoST patterns.)

But like Zone mentioned, you could always go 3 color desert, which you can find in most surplus stores. Hopefully once the US multicam-copycat camo starts hitting shelves that will cost considerably less. Just gotta give it time.

Camo is expensive due to the constraints on creating color fast all over fabric prints. Then piecing it all together and the licensing required to manufacture said pattern if not the original license holder. Now that this is all outta the way yes the woodland and tri color will be your cheapest but honestly not that much more if looking at combat shirt vs bdu... Combat shirts are pricey but worth it. Look up surplus supplier around military bases as they will offer cheaper prices and usually can haggle a bit if getting alot of your good from them at one time. Also if you know anyone in the military have them look around and shop, they also usually recieve a slightly better price.

Hope it helps and good luck on the hunt.

Guest Specs

A lot of military guys (depending on their branch and level) also may have received extra gear that might just be collecting dust. Always handy in making a deal.

Cirrus, you don't need to show up with all now gear. Yes multicam with a top and bottom is going to cost you in the $100 range but after you buy that you should be golden. Show up with the gear you have and have a good time. You might be a high speed operator but you don't have to look the part and there is no reason to go broke or have to take out a second mortgage on your house to attend your first milsim event.

I suggest you spend that $1000 on camies and good comfortable boots and you will have a lot of change left over for food and other fun things.

Specs and Doc are spot on - no need to look like a Ken doll when you show up. Yes, there's plenty of fashion show oneupmanship before the game but don't get caught up in having the latest and greatest. It's what you know that will help you perform on the field, not that new fancy gadget. If you're looking for more info, check out my site (link in my sig) or feel free to pm.

EBAY master race

I kind of find it hard to believe you need to spend that much on that little, I've built my US Marine 0311 impression with all real stuff minus the carrier  for under $1000 including all the post fees and gun stuff

what I am trying to say is dont be a gucci oporateour tryhard, get stuff that works not stuff that looks pretty and matches. and remember food,water,batteries, smoke,good bbs decent internals are expensive as well 

PS. start off with marpat can not go wrong

good luck

So, I've never gone to a milsim event before and I wanna run multicam but just to get pants and a jacket I'll be pushing $100. After getting all my gear picked out to match I'll be pushing $900 to $1000. Where do you guys get your stuff?

That's cheap. You haven't seen who much it costs to get the maker of Multicam's uniforms.

Go check out surplus stores.

So digging around I found that the top and pants must match and your head gear must match your squad, but other than that your gear can be anything. I've currently got woodland web gear with ACU top and bottom. I've been told not to use ACU for more than one reason but would my web gear work? Or sould I go for a plate carrier or combat vest?

So digging around I found that the top and pants must match and your head gear must match your squad, but other than that your gear can be anything. I've currently got woodland web gear with ACU top and bottom. I've been told not to use ACU for more than one reason but would my web gear work? Or sould I go for a plate carrier or combat vest?

Summer time in OK. Go for web gear/LBE. Much better ventilated than a plate carrier.

BTW. for you plate carrier types that want something in the carrier, get on down to Dollar Tree and snag a few closed cell foam kickboards for $1 each and cut to size. Do the same for knee/elbow inserts.

No no, please keep those PC's limp and saggy, they're much more comfortable that way. Plus, all the geardo's at the gun range will know you aren't a poser when they see your pics [sarcasm, don't want to hurt the Haley wannabe's feelings lol].

I'd say most camo prices are about compared to other clothes.  Compare it to a good pair of cargo hiking pants and a good shirt.  Price will be pretty close. 

The newer and more boutique the camo the more costly it will be of course.