American MilSim
OES77

24HR OP

AMS what would be the probability of making some current AMS OPs into the 24HR OP? Is Faded Giant 4 a possibility for your first 24HR continuous OP? I know at the end of the day Milsim is just another business and the majority of airsofters are not about the 24+HR life but the growing popularity of these kinds of OPs seems to be the new trend. Any plans to mix things up this year ? Is AMS about that life ? 

Guest Specs

There's a lot of extra work that comes in on admins and staffs part for continuous OPs. I'm sure AMS could handle it at some point, but I can understand why they haven't made the leap yet. A possible option might also be to beta on a larger field with onsite camping like Broken Home. That way you could run a 24 hour OP, but somehow work in the option for people to drop out on regular hours back to camp. It would have to be handled differently than say a Milsim West event as command would have to keep track of how many assets aren't sticking to the 24 hour experience, but could work with some testing. 

Think I'd agree with the guys that mention their possible private event as something on a smaller scale would be a lot easier to track and tweak on the fly to get things right.

------------------------------------------

On a separate note, I do think there are some gameplay things that Milsim West has been implementing that are pretty great. Their water bottle approach to medic gameplay is really interesting, and the restriction of ammo via supply drops or looting enemy dead is certainly a great after-action process/followup.

Well I don't think you should be able to go to your car/campsite for a break and then comeback on the AO. It's a liability for admins & staff. 24hr continuous OPs have a higher risk of injury for staff needs to be focused on the guys on the AO not if jimmy is uncomfortable and needs a nap and wants to come back outside and play after. Having a rule that if you get off the AO you're done will make it easier on the AMS staff and attract a different group of players. In my opinion it is make or break for an OP of this kind. If you make it ok for players to take breaks when they want to the game on the AO is gonna fall to shit real quick. The game will fail and the people left on the AO who came ready for a 24hr continuous OP aren't gonna get what they signed up for and that isn't fair to them. Like I said at the end of the day this is a business and it would be a stupid business decision for AMS to convert all their OPs to continuous style OPs because the majority of their current audience isn't of the sort. But I do feel like if we look at it even from solely a business perspective having both options would 1; increase their audience, and 2; add lore and brand loyalty to the AMS brand. But i'm not a business major so take that for what it's worth haha. 

I have got a little experience with round the clock airsoft operations.  

I would not consider an event that let people drop in and out, administratively that makes it a complete mess and just as importantly, it removes the need to MANAGE your troops from the leadership.  If you can just run guys ragged then let them drop as they poop out then there is no reason to instead rotate groups back for rest cycles and actually work at maintaining your combat power instead of just rah rah rahing it for a day then calling it good.  

Park, check in, get with squad, do event, at the end go back.   If you are AWOL at all, then poof you are out.   

Aside from that a longer duration event is also a very good time to ramp up the respawn times.   2 hours is a good dead time.  It allows you to actually MAKE GOOD SOME PROGRESS when you haymaker the fuck out of the enemy instead of just killing wave after wave of just respawned troops.  

i agree with everything said above but 2hr respawns are excessive. Longer respawns may be good idea but i'd be itching to get back in after 30mins max, 2 hours is a lifetime. Also the argument can be made that the player pays to play. 

Besides, the point is to NOT GET KILLED.

What? All this time and I'm actually supposed to keep myself alive? Everything I know is a lie.

Another thing to consider for the player attending a 24hr OP. You may be golden playing four hours, lunch break, four more and done. But when it's cold, raining, dark, you haven't slept since yesterday afternoon, and need a cigarette so bad you actually consider defecting for one, you find out you may not be the superhuman you thought you were. Be prepared for it to be awful. Get in shape, don't whine, focus on the mission. Don't be that guy. Don't be me. Remember you're not just playing a game with these guys, for the duration of the event you live with them. BRING LAYERS AND DRINK WATER.

Source: EW7, living out of a car for several months, jail.

The point is they were round the clock the whole time.  (yes for 9 days) 

Round the clock stuff is harder to do than it looks mostly because most of us want to be much bigger bad asses than we actually are.   At 24 hours, it's easy just to decide to run your troops into the ground which mostly leads to people going combat ineffective from fatigue and tempers flaring out of control over the silliest of things.  

Build in some rest time and things will roll much better.  

I was just wondering about this kind of OP. Was looking to post this exact question.

Maybe AMS could set it up like DAMs? You can sign up and pay extra to continue through the night at an OP such as Broken Home where there is a large AO. People that sign up for this bring their own gear like a small scout tent or something, and may set it at base during the day. But at night, have to slap that stuff on and march it to a position of their own choice (or position given by admins). This may suck, yes. But it all adds to the experience. 

You could also add it in after Day 1. So when Day 2 starts, the playing field may have drastically changed for the players returning, which may add some chaos as people are trying to figure out what is going on and the only sources are those who fought over night.

For the team who achieves more could get cool rewards. Like maybe an exclusive patch. Or the right to be recognized as a Spec Op unit in future AMS events. Something that would really motivate people to give it their all and more. I don't know about anyone else, but I would pay high dollar for an event like this.