AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.

What gear do you thing is best for a new guy. I have a pc in multi and bdu multi but what rifle is best ive been looking alote at ics brand because of split gear box.

ICS is a good reliable starter from what I hear. other than that you'll wanna pick up 3 or 4 midcaps, a good battery, some way to carry water and good eye-pro.

Guest Specs

5-6 mags should do you just fine unless you are a support gunner since you'll be in semi-auto only. Lasts a lot longer than you'd think unless you are just really heavy on trigger time.

As for brand and rifle type, that's all opinion and depends on what role you'll play. If you are running standard rifleman, I would pick up something basic like a KWA, and consider a different (more specific) rifle down the road once you get a better idea of your own preferences. Never be afraid to ask other members to check out their rifles though at events. Most people are pretty cool about giving you a demo and that's great on your part to know whats out there and what that person's experiences are.

I have personally had great experiences with Echo 1, KWA, and Elite Force. Though I've heard some great stuff about G&G at times, and other newer companies like Krytac. 

Metal outer or does that not realoy make a deffierence i found a 390-400fps its a ics metal split gear box for $280 on airsoft megastore.

Guest Specs

You'll want full metal. You trip and fall in these events. And if your gun comes between you and that fall, or hits the corner of a concrete bunker or a decent sized rock, it'll destroy a polymer one.

In addition to my primary AEG I also bring a back up rifle a well as backup pistol. As a rifleman, I normally take 7 midcaps to the field (6 on the PC and 1 in the gun). All metal guns I use because they take a pretty good beating at this OP. For pistols, you can use CO2 as long as they chrono at or below 350 for .20.

The problem with pistols is that that they take up room that can be left to carry more primary ammo.  I've had mine for 3 years and have probably used it twice.  YMMV.

Jasonoostra, I would highly recommend krytac, extremely durable and well made, robust gearbox with alot of great parts (including an internal mosfet which reduces trigger arching therefore extending the life of your gun). For Batteries, I would recommend 11.1 lipos, 1000 mah for the krytac. Fits very easily in the stock and are really easy to get to when one dies. Look at Airsoft Gi or Evike for the krytac and Hobbyking.com for the batteries. (If you do buy from here, make sure to select western or eastern warehouse depending on your location.) now if you do decide to purchase the krytac, which i hope you do, Elite Force Mids run absolutely flawless. I hope this helps.

I also have a Krytac CRB, seems very solid. Ill be bringing mine as a backup/cqb rifle. My primary is an EF M27, I also have an E1 platinum M16 that is solid aswell... also my KWA rifles are solid.. ughh.. and my G&G MP5..

I have to many guns..wait.. no I don't! :)

The listed are my most trusted ones

Dang, KWAs have gone up a lot in price.   ^^^^ you can save about 40-60 bucks if you don't get an electric blowback design.

Do your own research, but if I had to have ONE aeg to bring to an OP, I would feel pretty damn confident with my Krytac out of the box. They're gearbox looks gorgeous. I am a big fan of "buying right once". I think at the price point, I'd pull the trigger on the Krytac. I watched an interesting video where a guy used the Krytac LMG until he stripped the piston "Its the exeract same internally as the rest of the lineup." I think he fired over 100,000 rounds with it before the piston stripped, and that was the only thing that failed. Which is perfectly as intended, since a piston is one of the easiest/cheapest parts to replace. 

I haven't purchased a new KWA, but that would be my second choice. My personal experience with KWA has been excellent. I have an SR12 and an SR5. I ran the SR12 with an SP130 pushing just shy of 500fps in a DMR build. The damn pinion gear on the motor finally broke, but everything else is still just fine. 

As I've said, I've owned a lot of guns. I still own every gun I've ever purchased. Of what I've seen, Krytak seems to be the safest out of the box option, plus they are supposed to be completely TM compatible, which GREAT for when something breaks, or you get that upgrade bug. 

Also I have heard good things about Krytak customer service, which is a precious thing in airsoft :P

Guest Specs

The problem with pistols is that that they take up room that can be left to carry more primary ammo.  I've had mine for 3 years and have probably used it twice.  YMMV.

I find it's a use by use basis. As a DM, I'm required to carry a secondary backup due to engagement distance rules. As such, I could run a full primary as a backup, but that's a great deal more weight. Same for any SSW operator. No way my team's PKM operator could lug around a spare primary.

I also find that the compact sizing of a pistol can have it's uses in CQB engagement areas and are less cumbersome on the move in the right holster. (Unless said primary is fully lashed down rather than slapping around on it's sling. But then again, that ruins the point of a quickly accessible backup IMHO.)

I will admit that using dedicated pistol pouches would take away gear real-estate that could be occupied by primary mags, but I'd say that's true of any pouch you add on to your gear. That and a pistol mag pouch generally takes up less space than a primary mag pouch.

Well me and a friend pick out a ics pro grade rifle i like it but anyone have any suggested mags for an ics i would preffer a 150rd mid so i just need to for max

do you mean like... combat shirt? if so then yes they are allowed as long as it is not like green camo sleeves and tan camo base shirt for example but I doubt those are even made but who knows anymore.

also gear color does not matter I don't want to be THAT guy who has to always link the rule set ...... but AMS rule set is pretty strait forward and unlike some events rules,does not leave alot of room for misinterpretation, 

http://americanmilsim.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3201-american-milsim-ruleset.

good luck getting your kit sorted.