Recent Topics
Recent Facebook Activity
Upcoming Calendar Events
There are no forthcoming calendar events
Recent Status Updates
  • Photo
      15 Oct
    Mia Doll

If you really want to wear traditional dresses, just start to wear kilts. It’s the heritage of Scotland and resemblance of Scottish culture

View All Updates
June 2019
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Next Previous
Photo

EDC CCW

EDC CCW

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Runt511

Runt511

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Yeah, this is a big misconception. I'm a huge .45acp fan through and through, but if I shoot a guy in the head with one of my .45's is he gonna be any more dead than with even a .17mach2? Of coarse not. Also, it's simple physics, if what you fired from your handgun didn't knock YOU down when you fired it, it's not going to pick your enemy up off his feet either when he get's hit by it. That being said though, a heavier bullet traveling a nearly the same velocity as a lighter one has the POTENTIAL (not garaunteed) to deliver more kenetic energy to it's target. Resulting damage is all about the actual bullet, ie; hollow point, fmj, flat lead tip, solid lead, blah blah blah. Crappy ammo can leave a lot to be desired in any caliber.

True, and it all comes down to a personal preference. I enjoy 9mm and .40 cal ammo. I have owned a .45 but I am a 180lbs and in very good shape. I refer back to my military/Law enforcement caliber because I am confident if I wake up to an intruder and im tired I can easily deliver 3-6 rounds very rapidly and accurate. With out a doubt I can head to the range and throw down some .45 like no ones business, but having consideration for neighbors and their property I chose a glock 22 for my EDC 

Bagel

Bagel

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Not to mention what the round is actually hitting. A lot of your higher caliber rounds fire at lower velocities, and have less penetrating power. Simple clothing, such as denims or wools, are quite capable of both limiting the penetration of the bullet as well as plugging the wound behind it.

"A professional makes his work play, and his play practice."

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Runt511

Runt511

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

.40 cal is good enough for me. My wife one the other hand, she wants either a glock 23 or a kimber ultra carry. I dont know how I feel about her having a larger caliber than myself

Metal

Metal

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationNeosho Missouri

Not to mention what the round is actually hitting. A lot of your higher caliber rounds fire at lower velocities, and have less penetrating power. Simple clothing, such as denims or wools, are quite capable of both limiting the penetration of the bullet as well as plugging the wound behind it.

Again, this goes into the bullet/ammo category. Also, if a body cavity successfully stops a bullet, you have delivered ALL the potential kenetic energy to your target. I personally prefer custom alloy cast bullet that I mold myself for my .45acp's that have higher tin/lynotype content. This gives the entire bullet a semi-hard construction without making it unable to 'mushroom' and expand. I can also shoot those same bullets at higher velocities without the threat of 'leading' the barrel. So, I can get a better performing bullet, a more accurate ammunition, less felt recoil, increase muzzle velocity, and do it all way cheaper than something I can buy off the shelf.

When I get my wife a 9mm, you can be assured that I will be doing the same for that caliber as well.
"Listen dammit! We will win." James Hettfield

"Give up motherf***er, every body has to die!" Corey Taylor

Posted Image

Runt511

Runt511

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Again, this goes into the bullet/ammo category. Also, if a body cavity successfully stops a bullet, you have delivered ALL the potential kenetic energy to your target. I personally prefer custom alloy cast bullet that I mold myself for my .45acp's that have higher tin/lynotype content. This gives the entire bullet a semi-hard construction without making it unable to 'mushroom' and expand. I can also shoot those same bullets at higher velocities without the threat of 'leading' the barrel. So, I can get a better performing bullet, a more accurate ammunition, less felt recoil, increase muzzle velocity, and do it all way cheaper than something I can buy off the shelf.

When I get my wife a 9mm, you can be assured that I will be doing the same for that caliber as well.

This is when Legality comes into play. I have seen some cases where a person using reloaded rounds got hammered in court because they were accused of making the rounds more "lethal", I prefer hydro shok or power ball hollowpoints for self defense. 

Metal

Metal

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
I can't make anything more lethal than any larger or proffesional bullet maker can. It is not illegal to handload ammunition. It is not illegal mould bullets. It is not illegal to defend myself with ANY kind of ammunition. They can try all they want, but the facts and the laws are there.

Posted Image

Twitch

Twitch

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationBroomfield, Colorado

JP, 

For CCW I typically carry a Glock 27 .40 S&W, using the clipdraw and saftblok, or appi-clip.  I carry the gun with a 2733 base plate for extra finger support and the +1 round (total of 10 in the mag, 1 in the pipe.)  The gun has TruGlo TFO sights.  This is the same weapon I've carried for years as a backup weapon when on patrol.

I carry 180 grain Winchester Ranger Bonded (RA40B) ammunition.  Out of the 27 it chrono's at around 950 FPS - 360 FPE

Occasionally I will carry a Glock 19 or 23 as concealed, but the 27 is by far my prefered carry weapon. 

Chris Nielson
"Twitch"
Brigade Milsim Team Leader
[email protected]

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/brigademilsim
Instagram: http://instagram.com/brigademilsim

Runt511

Runt511

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

I can't make anything more lethal than any larger or proffesional bullet maker can. It is not illegal to handload ammunition. It is not illegal mould bullets. It is not illegal to defend myself with ANY kind of ammunition. They can try all they want, but the facts and the laws are there.

Im not saying you cant reload ammunition. I do all the time for my .223, .308, and .40. Im saying if you end up going to court over it, I have seen it used against people for defending themselves in side their homes. I have rounds strictly for range, and I have rounds/mags for personal/home defense. (Cant argue in a house that the first 12 gauge shell is a less than lethal)

Dave

Dave

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Will keep my personal opinions about self-defense vs "shooting to scare/wound" off this forum.

I did, however, find a small sampling of cases involving self-defense shootings with handload vs factory.  3 of the 4 were in self-defense (1 was suicide and beyond the scope of this discussion).  All three resulted in acquittals, but took anywhere from months to years to win.  Judging by the following cases, I believe it is fair to say that while handloaded ammunition may provide better terminal ballistics, it can lead to lawyer nitpicking and case stalling.  In the last example, a factory round was used and because of the replicability, the defendant was acquitted.  It took two years to finally defeat the civil lawsuit against him.

http://www.thehighro...6&postcount=140

Hope this makes things clear as mud.  I personally use 124 gr Speers Gold Dots due to my barrel length and strong ballistic testing.

-Dave

Metal

Metal

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Whatever incapacitates/kills my enemy and keeps me alive the best, that's what I'll use. That's the whole point anyway.

Posted Image

TOPSHOTS

TOPSHOTS

New to American MilSim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationGrand Island, Ne.

S&W M&P40, Gcode Incog. Hornaday 165gr. ZOMBIE MAX! 'cuz lets face it...World war Z could totally happen!!

pistol019.jpg

I dont like S&W M&P series, because of the fact if the magazine isnt fully seated it will not fire a round...This is a mechanical feature and mechanical problems happen.

I believe this to only be true with certain models?

pistol003.jpg

TheJP

TheJP

AMS MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 3,492 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, OK

S&W M&P40, Gcode Incog. Hornaday 165gr. ZOMBIE MAX! 'cuz lets face it...World war Z could totally happen!!

pistol019.jpg

I believe this to only be true with certain models?

pistol003.jpg

Blake and I were at the G-Code facility when Steve was prototyping the incog...think we might have been the first people outside their staff to even try it out.

Awesome to see how far that company has gone so quickly, they got some good peeps.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."
THEJP
Facebook.com/THEJPAMS

Bane

Bane

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBroomfield, CO

I dont like S&W M&P series, because of the fact if the magazine isnt fully seated it will not fire a round...This is a mechanical feature and mechanical problems happen.

Interesting. I have owned my M&P since they introduced them and I have never had this problem.

Team: Blacksheep
E-6, U.S. Army, 74D3P "Death from Above"
OP: Sudden Strike III, IV
OP: Oklahoma Invasion V, VI

OP: ESR19

OP: Broken Home II, III

TheJP

TheJP

AMS MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 3,492 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, OK

You can remove the MAG safety.

http://www.burwellgu...ns.com/M&P2.htm

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."
THEJP
Facebook.com/THEJPAMS

Runt511

Runt511

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Hmm, Now that this has been brought to my attention...I may be purchasing one

roughneck88

roughneck88

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationNorth Olmstead, Ohio

Sidearm-Sig 229-BSS/night site's (soon to carry a Sig 226)/w-serpa holster

Under the bench seat in double cab- bushmaster M4A2 and a go -bag with two extra mags of both-w/M48 tactical hawk and a Marine corps Bayonet OKC3S- Trauma kit w/quick clot and lots of 4x4's and other variable  size's 

closet in bedroom- Mossberg 930 Home security

Ammo- Federal -PD9GRD/P223Q/PD132-personal protection

Range time- Federal-AE9DP/AE223N

my wife has her own Sig 229 with lock box in her night drawer!

Don't mess with old farts...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.

POSTMAN

POSTMAN

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Anyone get the mag caddy with the INCOG. I dont know if its just me but adjusting the retention on it really doesn't seem to work?

Anybody else have this issue?

OP: Sudden Strike IV

OP:Ares Fire
OP:Hades Crossing
OP:Battle For Liberty

OP:Rebel Yell

OP:Faded Giant

OP:Broken Home 1,2

POSTMAN

POSTMAN

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
EDC
Album: EDC
1 images
4 comments

Here is my EDC, a gen 3 Glock 17 with XS tritium big dot sights and a gripforce beavertail, as well as a talon decal grip. Added adhesive skateboard tape to serrations on the slide as well.

Grip has been reduced to allow use of G19 mags,

Incog holster with a G17 mag as my spare, my carry ammo is gold dot spear +p 124 grain. 

POSTMAN

POSTMAN

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Upon further testing, decal grips suck. They may be cheap but not effective. Either have some one do a good stippling job or learn how to do it your self. Fortunately I only wasted 11 bucks on it :P

Also for you fellow glock users here is an awesome tutorial on glock upgrades

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6-b69HlWT4Y

Metal

Metal

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Also for you fellow glock users here is an awesome tutorial on glock upgrades

Or you could just buy an H&K in the first place and save time and money. JK ;)

So how's that INCOG treating you so far? I love my other G-Code holsters, so I would be pretty inclined to get one for EDC CCW use too.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users