Recent Topics
Recent Facebook Activity
Upcoming Calendar Events
There are no forthcoming calendar events
Recent Status Updates
  • Photo
      15 Oct
    Mia Doll

If you really want to wear traditional dresses, just start to wear kilts. It’s the heritage of Scotland and resemblance of Scottish culture

View All Updates
June 2019
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Next Previous
Photo

EDC CCW

EDC CCW

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

TheJP

TheJP

AMS MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 3,492 posts
  • LocationBroken Arrow, OK
Wife and myself just applied for our CCLs -- looking for suggestions for EDC pistols.

While I have shot many pistols, I have not really ever messed with compacts or sub-compact pistols.

Any advice pistol or carry/holster wise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JP
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."
THEJP
Facebook.com/THEJPAMS

WOODCOCK

WOODCOCK

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationMcAlester, OK
I carry a Ruger LCP w/Crimson Trace loaded with Hornaday Critical Defense Ammo in a Cross Breed Mini Tuck holster (best CCW holster I have ever owned). The LCP is light and easy to carry. I also have a Kahr CW9 which is a great CCW weapon for it's size and weight and of course chambered in 9MM as opposed to .380. I can't wait for the Springfield Armory XDs to come out out because it is about the length of my LCP, is only a inch wide, and packs 6 rounds of .45 man stopper. Many, many choices out there these days. I'd say for the Ole' Lady it is a Hammerless .38 DA revolver packed with +P rounds.
"Brave Rifles! Veterans! You have been baptized in fire and blood and have come out steel!" So was born the Regimental Accolade, and the source of the Regimental Motto.

Blue Knight

Blue Knight

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationAtchison, Kansas
I carry either my 80 series .45 Colt Combat Commander or my H&K USP .40 Compact. I use Federal Hydra Shock ammo in both, since I have seen first hand the impact stopping power of these rounds on a person. Holsters are a personal preference. I usually carry mine in a Blackhawk Serpa. For hot summer, I have a Bianchi Pancake holster. I got my wife a Colt .380 due to the smaller size and weight, also loaded with Hydra Shock.
Blue Knight
Lead from the Front.
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.

Wolfman

Wolfman

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationEdmond, OK
I carry my 1911 officers model with hollow point +P, yes I don't want to have to pump 6 rounds into them to drop them. I have a blackhawk serpa, shoulder, and a K-bar TDI pouch.
Old boys have their playthings as well as young ones; the difference is only in the price. -Benjamin Franklin

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks. -Thomas Jefferson

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. -Thomas Jefferson

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever. -Thomas Jefferson

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. -Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

jazzman

jazzman

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO
I have an XD9 Subcompact that I carry in either a cheap nylon waistband holster or a comptac Minotaur. Highly suggest you check out www.comp-tac.com they have several great designs. For ammo I use HST 9mm 147gr. I want the heaviest round and most expansion I can get while still having a large mag capacity of 9mm because I can't figure out a way to comfortably carry an extra mag around.

PITT

PITT

AMS Enforcer

• AMS Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationIn your bushes
I agree with Woodcock on the LCP. I shot one in a steel challenge match not to long ago and it did really well. If not that then a 4in 1911 would be my second choice. Kimber also is making a CCW pistol that is reasonably priced and has good reviews on a lot of the real steel forums I frequent
More Milsim, Less Ego...............

If you go full retard on the field expect me to slap the stupid out of you or at least try to shake it out of you by your neck.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man
Is either a fool or a coward, whoever cannot take care of
Himself without that law is both, for a wounded man shall
Say to his assailant, "If I live I will kill you, if I die you are forgiven"
Such is the rule of honor

S.D.M.F
Strength Determination Merciless Forever

[email protected]

Posted Image

Boonierat/ARA

Boonierat/ARA

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationIn the Shadows, Watching and Waiting
My Opinion: Which concealed handgun you chose is a matter of simple comfort. It's what fits you best.

I am comfortable with the knock down capability of a .45. It's what I trained with for years in the military and I've never used anything else. I've had probably every make and model from Star to Llama, to Colt. Small and large frames and everything in between.

My personal carry is the Colt Lightweight Commander. I have completely retooled my Colt with Wilson Combat internal and external accessories and I am completely confident that what I carry will take the bad guy down! I use the Wilson Practical LowCut Front Speed Holster riding just above the belt line. It has no thumb safety but uses a tension screw. I also use their 185 Grain TAC-XP Loads. The ammo is a bit more expensive but it is made for the 4 inch specifically. I've never been satisfied with standard magazines until I bought the stainless steel custom mags from Wilson. They release effortlessly for combat reloading. Nothing like having a mag stick at a crucial moment!

I have a couple of friends that purchased the 380s and they seem pretty happy with their choices. It's small enough for ease of concealment but packs a substantial punch when it counts.

Just remember, what fits your hand probably won't fit hers. I found that out the hard way! Finally resting on the .38!

Hope this helps. http://shopwilsoncombat.com/

"Arm yourselves and be ye men of valor and be in readiness for the conflict, for it is better for us to persih in battle than to look upon the outrage of our nation and our alters... " Winston Churchill

Boonierat-ARA Team Leader
RLTW

D-Train

D-Train

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationSAN ANTONIO TEXAS
I had this same talk with 1 of my team today. Look get 1 gun and carry it and only it. I can tell you that I have been involved in contact's with people and can tell you 1st hand you dont want a small light weight gun. In the real world you dont get to know when and where it is going to happen. Most gun fights are at close range. A gun is a weapon in more than 1 way. I have had to strike a preson becuse there was no reaction gap there. GLOCKS WILL NOT FIRE WITH CONTACT ON BARREL......... So I go with 1 gun only. Now the brand is what I have but the type is whats important. I carry 1911 Kimber Ultra Carry. I run Corbon 230+p 1050fps. When I hit you I want you too know it.

I agree with Woodcock on the LCP. I shot one in a steel challenge match not to long ago and it did really well. If not that then a 4in 1911 would be my second choice. Kimber also is making a CCW pistol that is reasonably priced and has good reviews on a lot of the real steel forums I frequent

I carry my 1911 officers model with hollow point +P, yes I don't want to have to pump 6 rounds into them to drop them. I have a blackhawk serpa, shoulder, and a K-bar TDI pouch.

I carry a Ruger LCP w/Crimson Trace loaded with Hornaday Critical Defense Ammo in a Cross Breed Mini Tuck holster (best CCW holster I have ever owned). The LCP is light and easy to carry. I also have a Kahr CW9 which is a great CCW weapon for it's size and weight and of course chambered in 9MM as opposed to .380. I can't wait for the Springfield Armory XDs to come out out because it is about the length of my LCP, is only a inch wide, and packs 6 rounds of .45 man stopper. Many, many choices out there these days. I'd say for the Ole' Lady it is a Hammerless .38 DA revolver packed with +P rounds.

SEISOPS GROUP (SOG) XO
ESR-19
RDGX
RED DAWN
OKI6

STEEL SPIDER
JUST REVENGE
OKI5
BROKEN HOME
REBEL YELL
STAR BURST-4

Blackbird

Blackbird

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX
I just picked up a Glock 22 today, but im thinking a full sized glock is too big for CCW purposes, If I like how the .40s&w performs over the 9mm glock I used to own, I may pick up a glock 23 for concealment instead of g19.

Haters gonna hate, but I love my plastic fantastic.
Posted Image

Hat3d1

Hat3d1

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationMoore, OK
I've carried the gambit, from a fullsize 1911, to baby glocks, to mid sizes, to compact 1911's, my current carry is a Ruger LCP. If I had the go buy a absolute only carry gun right now, it would be the Ruger LC9.

My favorite carry is a glock 30, its just huge to conceal, granted I am a large man, and can conceal it easily, its just a burden at times. LCP can be thrown in a pocket and go.

But the honest truth is, pick the gun that fits your hand comfortably, you feel comfortable concealing, pick the holster option you like the most, and be prepared to drop dime on a quality one. ( I absolutely swear by the Thuderbird defender from K&D Holsters ) I suggest going to a reputable shop+range that offers rentals, hold anything you think you will like, then go put 50 rounds through it.

After that, TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN! dryfire practice, to drawing practice, to draw and shoot practice, to retention, to avoiding a conflict in the first place!

Doc Dodge

Doc Dodge

AMS Staff Medic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationStill on duty
I usually carry a Series 70 MkIV Colt Govt Model 1911 in a biachi belt or shoulder rig or a Llama III .380 in a jacket or pants pocket.

91B20/19D20 1974-1988

"Silverbacks don't run. We swagger, stagger, mosey, huff, puff, stroll, roll, troll, trot, sneak, seek, hide, glide, slide, ride, stride, and take lots of well-deserved breaks, but we DO NOT RUN."

--Doc Dodge

TheJP

TheJP

AMS MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 3,492 posts
Thanks for all the input guys!
THEJP
Facebook.com/THEJPAMS

WOODCOCK

WOODCOCK

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationMcAlester, OK
Ok, so tell us which one your gonna buy???? LOL
"Brave Rifles! Veterans! You have been baptized in fire and blood and have come out steel!" So was born the Regimental Accolade, and the source of the Regimental Motto.

Doc Dodge

Doc Dodge

AMS Staff Medic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationStill on duty
You can't go wrong with a .45 ACP.

91B20/19D20 1974-1988

"Silverbacks don't run. We swagger, stagger, mosey, huff, puff, stroll, roll, troll, trot, sneak, seek, hide, glide, slide, ride, stride, and take lots of well-deserved breaks, but we DO NOT RUN."

--Doc Dodge

TheJP

TheJP

AMS MFCEO

• Administrators
  • 3,492 posts

Ok, so tell us which one your gonna buy???? LOL

Well if I was a larger framed person I'd choose a Glock 26. But as it stands I have narrowed it down to a Khar CW9 and the Ruger LC9, just need to try and get a little range time with them over at 2A - don't believe they have either one for rent so I might be F'd in the A.

Wife is looking at revolvers, but I am trying to point her to the Khar or LCP
THEJP
Facebook.com/THEJPAMS

POSTMAN

POSTMAN

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado
As far as Glock not firing point of contact, I will have to do some research on that.

Personally I would choose the Glock 26, as one I am already familiar with the full frame 17 so there is a training crossover.

Second from the research I have looked at a 147 grain bullet, 9mm, .45 or .40 will produce similar results, I dont believe in the "magic bullet theory" at the end of the day competence with your chosen weapon system and being able to perform under stress are the key factors in surviving a time is life situation.

OP: Sudden Strike IV
OP: Oklahoma Invasion V, VI

OP:Ares Fire
OP:Hades Crossing
OP:Battle For Liberty

OP:Rebel Yell

OP:Faded Giant

OP:Broken Home 1,2

Blackbird

Blackbird

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX
JP, you're not much smaller than I am, I can comfortably conceal my glock 22, just takes a little playing with holsters and positioning. I had a chance to try out a raven phantom holster with my glock, after seeing Bryan at ITS tactical say thats what he used with his sig. He had his mounted in the five o'clock position, and he's pretty small as well, from what it looks like in pictures. I tried it witha full frame glock, wasn't too bad, I imagine it would be about the same or better with an even smaller one like the 26. though, I find the 26 too small for me, I'd stop at the 19
Posted Image

Mojoe

Mojoe

American MilSim Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Glock 26 in a Milt Sparks Executive Companion holster, very comfortable.

Doc Dodge

Doc Dodge

AMS Staff Medic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationStill on duty
This might sound odd, but it works. To get used to carrying a pistol and not feeling off balance, self-conscious or rigid when carrying, wear your chosen pistol or an airsoft pistol of the same type in your belt holster or shoulder holster around the house until you get used to moving naturally with that added weight. If you are going to carry a small pistol in your pocket or an ankle holster, same thing. If you're planning on carrying while driving, do the same thing in your vehicles. Figure out where you will conceal that pistol and how easy/hard it will be to grab it should the need arise. Do a lot of dry runs with that UNLOADED sidearm until you feel confident you can deploy it properly.

91B20/19D20 1974-1988

--Doc Dodge

WOODCOCK

WOODCOCK

MilSim Advocate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationMcAlester, OK

Well if I was a larger framed person I'd choose a Glock 26. But as it stands I have narrowed it down to a Khar CW9 and the Ruger LC9, just need to try and get a little range time with them over at 2A - don't believe they have either one for rent so I might be F'd in the A.

Wife is looking at revolvers, but I am trying to point her to the Khar or LCP

The Khar CW9 for it's size is probably one of the nicest shooting pistol I have ever used. As for your Ole Lady, make sure she is capable and comfortable with chambering a round (some women seem intimitaded by all the moving parts in an auto). I have always suggested revolvers for the ladies just for simplicity and less likelihood of a malfunction (can shoot from inside the purse etc). Just food for thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users