AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
Ricochet808

UFS or CoST?

First time out for one of these, im a faction loyal kinda guy, but I don't have affiliations yet.

So, whats the scoop? CoST vs UFS? What the spirit of each faction? Looks to me that CoST is the underdog, but I want to know more. :)

It doesn't really have much effect in-game other than what camo you wear.

I would say some players get more into the role-play than others though.

Most people pick based on

1) what team their friends are on

2) what camoes they have (or like most)

Some people are fiercely loyal to one side or the other for years and some people switch sides ever game or whenever to try it out on another side with other people, both ways are fine really.

If you're a role play type you will want to read the backstory as mentioned for sure. 

Pretty much what Jazzman said.  The two teams have somewhat different leadership and organizational styles, but other than that we're all just putting on tan or green to run around shooting at each other.  Try CoST, then UFS.  Or just CoST.  You should definitely join CoST.

IMHO *cough*

Or you could just check out UFS.. I mean they have "Top" as their Commander ..... anywhere else is just well....... sad really... :P

Besides Tan is tacti-cooler looking that puke green.... :P :P :P :P :D

Pick a damn side already and lets play, oh yeah, cost will get steam rolled again this year lol.

Honestly though I can't say anything more than above, if you just have green then go green but if you have tan or multicam then join that side. Get a few games under your belt and then pick the side you like the best. Both sides have great guys and gals that are worth playing with, join a side, become part of it and immerse yourself so you can enjoy the game.

I got the toys to look the part on either team. I just want to hear from some players and who ever seems more like the kind of fellas I want to roll with.

Poor CoST getting steam rolled. :( whats going on there?

Well if you want to hear why people picked a side then I will play along.

I picked the tan side long before AMS was AMS and was playing on a small field in Broken Arrow. We picked tan and played that for two years and then Top came along and we kept fighting along side him and still to this day I still play tan. No real reason to pick tan or UFS and no it's not poor cost. Cost had their days in the past and last year they lost, this year UFS may lose or who knows maybe worse, we will tie LOL.

I guess I have nicer gear in multicam so I am running UFS this time. Just tried to buy the ticket but I'm having some issues I think it is due to me being on a mobile phone.. if it doesn't go through I'll worry about it when I get my computer back together.

Go go gadget tacticool. Maybe next time I'll roll with CoST. :)

Guest Specs

Haha it's best to roll on both sides at least once to get a feel for the guys on either team. There are certain personalities at play for both CoST and UFS. I enjoy the guys on UFS, so I roll them them exclusively now. 

CoST guys really seem good at the make-meme-point-and-laugh thing. But UFS gives results IMHO. 

Ultimatley though, I find that the "underdog"  flip flops. In 2013, CoST had the greater numbers and victories which pushed more people to sign up for the UFS cause. As a result, UFS won most events this past year. However, that's pushing alot of people to go CoST this year. So you get the point. 

I think multicam comes with a free go pro.... :)  or is that standard issue for ufs......it is all about looking good on camera right.

Read the back story and the time line, it is how I made my decision.

Made sense to me, I did this and found my allegience pretty quick.  Also used my homestate in the decision :)

I think multicam comes with a free go pro.... :) or is that standard issue for ufs......it is all about looking good on camera right.

The real question is that does playing for CoST come with the time off from work to actually attend this event? Stupid work!!!

Where can I find the backstory to both of the teams? I'm a complete greenhorn to the sight and just getting started in milsim airsoft. So, any beginners tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'd review the timeline but I do not have a working computer at this moment and for some reason my phone can't load anything past operation faded giant 3.

I'm glad you guys asked, it's cool seeing interest in the Road to War.  If you go to the FNN News subforum you can see all the background stories i am referencing.  I will paraphrase...  

Basically, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, California, and Alaska became the backbone for our economy after OPEC shit the bed and could no longer provide the oil for the world, leading to an economic collapse.  The dummies in power here decided they needed to tax the ever loving hell out of us, and we became fed up with financially supporting poor decisions that we did not ask for and were not included in the making of.  The 5 states decided to secede and form the Coalition of Sovereign Territories.  The remainder reformed as the United Federal States.  UFS responded by blockading our water supplies and land transportation routes.  We tried to keep our borders open to allow freedom of movement for the CoST and UFS citizens, but UFS said no and set up military checkpoints.  

Following that, UFS began probing our borders, leading to Operation Broken Home 2012, which was the flashpoint for military action on both sides.  We have been at war ever since.  

After UFS massacred one of the main rebel groups, the Civilian Defense Force, the coalition became outraged and all rebel groups unified under the CoST Army flag.  

Well looks like I'm going to be a CoST all the way. I hope to make it out there sometime this summer. Since I'm pretty sure of my team, what kinda gear should I start looking into? I already have plenty of MCU woodlands and your regular woodland BDU's. Also I'm looking for a decent DMR that is an AEG cause gas is to dang expensive.

I have battled hard with the UFS and CoST forces, both have their share of good NCOs.

For our large events each faction has a slightly different way of doing things. One is very NCO based while the other is very Command staff based.

As for the storyline each faction have their merits.

The Coalition is fighting for it's right to separate from what they feel is an oppressive, corrupt and unjust Union.

The Federals are fighting to keep the Coalition part of the union and restore the country as a whole. The Federals also feel that the Coalition has been corrupted by their leadership creating this insurrection.

Woodlands and MCU are perfect, both are the most common patterns worn.  Use whatever gear you think will help you accomplish the mission :)

Which one is NCO based?

I think JP means leaders, not necessarily "NCOs".  Both teams use a company-level based organizational structure, though I would dare say CoST's headquarters team is a lot beefier than UFS.  They certainly make it work though.

Well I had intended to roll with UFS, but I forgot to update my order when I checked out so I'm with Coalition for my first American milsim game. Representing Hawaii one of the few green states on the map.

Speaking of green the only thing thats bothering me right now is all of my gear is coyote and multicam. I am not looking forward to the friendly fire factor. :( well I just ordered a really cool identifier patch that says CoST on it. Its IR reflective and glows in the dark, but I don't think it's going to help me much in this case :P

You should get a faction patch when you show up to the event.  Itll help a little.  Stick with your CoST buddies and you'll be alright :)