AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
Sign in to follow this  
Scott

Question about A&K 249

I've had this gun for a while and have never fired it. Anyway I got bored yesterday and decided to try it out. It will not fire with the box magazine attached to it. I tried just a regular M4 style mag and it fires just fine. What's weird is that the box magazine appears to be working. I ejected some bbs out of it and new ones fill the tube that goes into the gun just fine. It won't draw them in to the gun for some reason and I can't seem to find anything broke. I was hoping maybe someone else had this happen and could help. I hope I am just missing something stupid. Thanks.

Scott,

I've had similar issues with my Mk46, so I know your pain. Some things to check:

• The hop-up chamber can sometimes sit a bit odd with the metal bracket at the top of the mag well. The design allows for some twist, so even though it's flush against the gearbox and in those slots it can still be out of alignment. Check inside the mag well and make sure you can see all the way into the hop-up chamber. If it looks like more of an oval opening than a perfectly round one, try removing and reseating the barrel and hop-up to get a better fit.
  • The STANAG adapter on the A&K magazine isn't the most precise piece of plastic, and the mag release on the gun leaves a lot of wiggle room. You might need to play around with how the mag is seated. Mine doesn't like to be pressed all the way in; I have to seat it firmly (pressing all the way up towards the chamber), and then tug down slightly on the STANAG adapter so that the mag release rides at the top of the adapter's indentation. It seems that this might be another loose tolerance with that plate at the top of the mag well, were the feed tube will jam the mag. Try moving this adapter around slightly while it's in the gun to see if some position allows it to feed.
  • You mentioned that BBs do come out of the magazine when it's removed, and this is another wise thing to check. Make sure you're giving it a good few seconds on "Auto" to prime the tube and get enough BBs loaded into the system. Also make sure you've got enough BBs in the reservoir; since there's no spring, it relies on the last several dozen rounds to apply pressure from the winding mechanism into the gun.

I hope some of these troubleshooting steps help.

Derail and I do apologize but I like to jump on the A&K M249 strugglebus every chance I get.  When I first got my A&K I was pretty excited to get into the SAW community.  Then I opened the box... 

The AEG came in multiple pieces.  AirsoftGI never told me that there was "some major assembly required".  I don't shop from them anymore either based on this experience.  The top rail cover would not stay shut and the clips to the rear were missing the retention spring, so the first time i opened the cover they immediately shot into the dark abyss of my couch and it was days before I could find both.  The retention piece was found buried in the buttstock months later.  The barrel would not attach properly and fell off the first time i picked it up.  I managed to get it clicked back into place, but it bent the barrel release lever and I don't trust it at all.  The magazine didn't work at all and needed to be sent off (along with the M249 box o' parts).  When I called AirsoftGI and asked WTF they told me I needed a stronger battery to make the magazine work.  I had originally bought it so I could polar star it, but now I keep it around as a loaner and avoid at all costs.  Even with Systema internals it breaks down and sucks too often to bother with.

~It looks pretty though~

Things to check :

1.  Make sure the Mag is fully seated in the well, after I insert I always have to give the mag an extra push to make sure it is fully seated. 

2. Like someone else said, make sure the box mag is fully wound, turn it onto manual and let it run until it clicks.

3. Had one box mag where the release switch that gets pushed back was not moving so the BBs could not feed into the chamber.

4.  The feed tube which is made of a coiled spring can get jacked up if you stretch it to far, inspect it for any "dents".  Also, open op the mag ( not the box ) itself and make sure the top part of the feed tube is seated properly in the mag.  If the feed tube gets stretched it can pull out of the spot where it sits in the mag.

5.  If a BB gets jammed in the box mag it will click repeatedly like it's fully wound but won't feed.  You need to get the offending BB removed and get the gears to release and unwind the stuck spring.

Thanks for all the advice fellas. This thing is a piece of chit. I'll look into some aftermarket box mags and see if I can find something.

Yeah a buddy of mine has got one and hates it... with his it's something to do with the hopup mounting, though we still haven't figured out what exactly. He got it for free off a friend who quit playing so he's not willing to put any money in on it. So it just sets on his truck bed at games looking pretty.

Sign in to follow this