AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
Sign in to follow this  
magpuldovah

gen 1 nvg

They're better than nothing but most are heavy, cheaply made ect.  YOu also HAVE to run an IR illuminator with Gen 1 as in anything less than moonlight you are going to have a hard time seeing anything. 

It will put you on a better footing than people running nothing but at a disadvantage to the guys running gen 2 and especially 3. 

As I type this I run an Armasight SPARK CORE.  At work I work with and look though the "latest and greatest" AN/AVS-9s that our pilots and aircrew wear.

if you want gen1s i have two pairs of GH15s which are top of the line gen1+ they have an auto shut off if its too bright and they come with Butler creek lens caps, Wilcox dovetail pvs15 adapter and lenax lens shields. one pair was used one the other was used twice. $400 shipped each firm. they retail for $600 each. if youre looking to give gen1s a shot best to buy them used. 

Before you run with an ir illuminator make certain that it is not naked eye visible. Hint: 99% of them are. Any amount of naked eye visible puts you at a severe disadvantage against even complete noobs with naked eye.

Remember also that there is a big difference between gen 1 commercial and gen anything actual military. You cannot really compare a Bushnell gen 1 scope to an original Varo or Zeiss scope.

If you want to pinch pennies and get useful gear watch for Litton 900 series units on Ebay. They used to use these in film development labs. They are perfectly nice gen 2 units for no more than what most folks want for the mostly useless gen 1 commercial units.

I would ignore the advice of anyone who does not own night vision - there are plenty on this forum and they will steer you wrong (not directed at any of the above, just in general).  

This question has been asked several times and my reply is always the same.  SAVE YOUR MONEY.  Resolution is horrific, even with high end IR illuminators.  At a MINIMUM get Gen 2+ if you want something usable, but you're looking at around 1k-1500 dollars for something that is worth the weight.  If you want to know specifics shoot me a PM.

^ Solid advice.  The newer gen goggles are much more useable over a wider range of conditions.  For what I do my Gen 1 SPARK works fine for me but I knew what I was getting into.  If you think that you are going to want to get into better night vision at all take the money you would spend on a Gen 1 device and put it into a shoebox until you get more saved up for Gen 2+ or 3.

Sign in to follow this