American MilSim
Sign in to follow this  
Razgriz23

Staying warm

portable hot tub?

OK OK, I guess depends, in 40s with all the gear and stuff and running around a lot, I will probably be fine with nothing extra.  But if I am going to be standing around a lot or out in the open areas or its really windy, I would probably wear a fleece under my top, but I hardly ever bother with leg covering unless its really cold, like under 30. 

I wouldn't add anything more then a long sleeve shirt under my regular top (I don't typically wear combat shirts).  With the 40's, plus moving around, plus gear, plus being inside....If the wind is blowing like crazy, you might need something like a sweatshirt, or fleece shirt.  I wouldn't worry about long johns unless it gets below or around freezing, or if you were going to be stationary in the wind all night.

Hey guys I'm in the south the event is 45 min from my home the morning is cold but nothing bad and as soon as the sun is out with gear on you will me sweating in no time ..at night it drops but the wind is not been an issue at all ..this week we had a storm so it was Lil wind .. so my input with your gear on you will be fine at night long Johns if anything. .

Guest Specs

Thick socks for sure, especially when you aren't moving. Tossing a few hand warmers in the foot of your sleeping bag always helps, or adding a space blanket layer for insulation if it's really cold. Just don't overheat and sweat. 

Minimizing empty space between layers is a must as body heat will be lost to those air pockets. I've heard that draping your bag over you  like a blanket can do wonders compared to just using your sleeping bag normally.

And of course keep off the ground.

You guys are candy asses 30 ain't cold lol come to northern Iowa and try -10 with wind chill. It's averaging 30-40 here and I'm still rocking shorts and a t-shirt I don't break out the jeans and soft shell till it hits 15-20

You guys are candy asses 30 ain't cold lol come to northern Iowa and try -10 with wind chill. It's averaging 30-40 here and I'm still rocking shorts and a t-shirt I don't break out the jeans and soft shell till it hits 15-20

If you're sitting/sleeping at night, bring a pad of some sort. They're not expensive and it doesn't have to be something fancy. Insulate yo'self. If you smoke, smoke somewhere warm - smoking lowers your body temperature. Hydration helps but try to keep from getting soaked. Don't wear overly bulky clothes (i.e. the amazing M65 Field Parka) when it's only 30-40 degrees if you're moving around a lot/running, you'll sweat until you're drenched and hypothermia can set in at much higher temperatures. 

You know your body. If you're honestly worried about your health/safety, call yourself out and go warm up somewhere. The game isn't worth your life. 

One more thing, my favorite cold-weather loadout (as in it's 25 and sleeting) is simply long johns under BDUs with a watch cap and winter boots. It wasn't fun just standing around but it was pretty comfy under 15 pounds of gear and a rucksack moving in bounding elements across a junkyard.