AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
Smilez

Clearing up sniper role for a soon to be milsimmer

I was wondering about what exactly the sniper does, I would assume scout/recon work when working in two man teams, but what exactly does he/she do when attached to a squad?  Basically just another DMR with *hopefully* longer range?  As the games are based on colour, I am also going to guess that ghillies are out of the question? I don't plan on buying/making one any time soon, but I would like to know for the future.

Thanks!

Guillie suits would have to be overall the same color as the faction that they are attached to.  It is up to the player chain of command as to how they implement a sniper team.  I have seen it done many different ways in different places.  At broken home once they were detached at the platoon level to carry out special missions such as recon and scouting.  Sometimes they are left at the squad level to act more like DM's.  It just depends.

Guillie suits would have to be overall the same color as the faction that they are attached to.  It is up to the player chain of command as to how they implement a sniper team.  I have seen it done many different ways in different places.  At broken home once they were detached at the platoon level to carry out special missions such as recon and scouting.  Sometimes they are left at the squad level to act more like DM's.  It just depends.

Cool, thanks!  That answer was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. :D

Depending on your command you won't be attached to a squad but would be attached to other snipers.

I don't know anything about you so don't think I am talking down to you. You will need to know how to range find, correctly use a radio, correct report positions, stalk, hide, know how to read a topo map, know how to use a compass. ETC ETC. The snipers role can be a very daunting task and it isn't just about getting to a position to shoot someone.

+1

The biggest thing to remember here is that if you show up as a sniper with useful training and tangible skills you will be loved.  If you show up as a untrained unskilled noob with a sniper rifle you will at best be shuffled off out of the way and at worst semi scorned.  The term "sniper" really has a lot of negative connotations to leadership guys who have had to deal with waves of useless ding dongs in the past.   Don't be "one of those guys" and you'll be all good!  

Really don't have a use for snipers in an assault role but they make for great ISR assets.  This is how I utilized them (some, at least) at BH3.