American MilSim
AntiStupid

I guess an AAR for IC...

Everything else is being hashed out. But about the eyepro comment with everyone running "sunglasses", my entire squad except for one guy ran oakley mframes with a helo kit. These look exactly like regular sunglasses except they have a gasket that attaches to fully seal the lens. This type of eyewear was directly addressed and cleared in the safety briefing. 

PS. If it was a tinted lens you would not be able to see the helo kit gasket behind the lens.

I only had one run in with admin and that was when I threw a pea grenade in a window and he told me no smokes inside and I showed him the grenade and that was that. The issue was settled. 

Misfit1, to be clear, I was directing my comments at the COST command, headed by you, and up through you to AMS.  The buck stops there as this is their product, not yours, but you own part of the check. Sorry if I was not clear. I'm guessing you were in the thick of it all day, right? From your active military experience, I'm sure you know why commanders stay in the rear and look at the big picture? You can't run 3 PLs while running with a squad. As for learning, how about you swap out a hot team your leading for one of the teams dutifully sitting on the sidelines per your orders? You had two full platoons following your orders (as best we had them from pre-event) to watch those buildings and stay out of your fight. And don't give us that "this is MILSIm, so just guard" bull - you come guard. We constantly checked up command, and constantly were told just hold that spot. 

And you can't have it both ways, as seems to be the norm in the responses.  You can't say "follow the command structure, follow my orders, report up the chain" and then say "make your own fun, take initiative". You either want orders followed, or you want teams to make their own orders. But, that was actively discouraged for months in advance of the event.

Rick, glad you see the comments for what they are. We are not pissed that we were not pampered.  We are not pissed that we were not given action on our doorstep at every moment. These are not kids who showed up and needed hand holding.  AMS should (IMO) manage the command structure better and make sure 2/3 of the players one side are not stewing in their hot boxes while command is AWOL fighting it out like a local game.  You would have been better off just meeting with the SQLs and giving them general objective and having them work out plans.  

We were never given much idea what the hell was the game objective, and only then as UFS was taking the field. (Same at night, we got the info as Tan took their 2:1 size advantage across the field.) We knew our building was high value, but not much else.  We assumed the Mosque must be also since all the game was on its doorstep.  Is the building across the street important? I ask my PL, no idea. In short, the illusion of command made good players wait for orders.  The illusion of command made teams that prepped for this event for months "stand-by" per orders - not laziness. Just kill the illusion and we will make our own way.

And the fix is easy.  In the night rotation one Admin came into our building and asked how it was going - he seemed honestly interest in our experience. That never happened the first 10 hrs. Add more of that and give him the power to force change when your hand picked leadership is blowing YOUR event. You can file this away and move on if you like.  Supply and demand is the end answer, and if AMS has so many players that these "few" complaints don't matter...so be it. But if AMS wants more dedicated players, you should look into improving key management items.

First off, the shooting glasses on the AO was ridiculous. It's amazing no one was seriously injured.

Next, the drag rule isn't working. Saw tan, green, and everyone else using the touch and run method. Especially loved when one guy ran up to three dead players and they all ran off together. And well they're doing it shouldn't be an excuse.

If you leave the AO to go to the camping area to refit or hydrate. Don't just jump right back into action without returning to a fob or at very least a mobile respawn.

To the tan squad that flanked through the camping area walked under my tent, used My truck for cover then told my buddy to shut the fuck up when he told y'all to get back on the AO and away from our set up where people were without eye pro. Shame on y'all. Do it right, or don't do it.

Hit calling was surprisingly good. Only had one issue from a guy running around in cut off shorts (so much for a uniformed event) but his buddy actually stepped up and called him out on it.

Where to next??? Why not black t shirts. This was talked about and there were several out there. Not talking about the opfor guys. And it was on both sides.

High caps?? Really people.

Lastly, friendly fire is going to happen. We have the advantage of getting to respawn. Id your target. It's not my responsibility or am a obligated to tell you which force I'm fighting for when I'm wearing multicam from head to toe. Don't get butt hurt when people do not answer when you ask green or tan and they don't answer.

It was nice getting to chat with bagel you're a super good dude and hope to see you at future ops.

T-Rex,

Nice of you to trivialize our comments and concerns. Great way to make us want to attend future AMS events. Are you suggesting that those voicing their perhaps, more critical opinions, are not "Dedicated (or veteran) Players"?

Just saying...

Rick, thanks for listening. We appreciate your attention. We want this to be a successful event.

Addressed this in another topic. But the shooting glasses everyone was seeing were more than likely oakley mframes with helo kits. They are full seal and there were a lot of people using them. The majority of guys in my squad used them and I saw tons more. 

Addressed this in another topic. But the shooting glasses everyone was seeing were more than likely oakley mframes with helo kits. They are full seal and there were a lot of people using them. The majority of guys in my squad used them and I saw tons more.

I am familiar with them. People were taking the helo kits out.

Well this wasn't loved at all...."just saying". I have not been to an event where command was actively playing the entire game. Your job is to COMMAND. Not assume we will do shit.

And I don't think anyone would want to pay $150 to sit in a building.

Major safety concerns.....come on. My gun chrono'd at 401 at your station. Went back to check it with mine...1.9J. That's dangerous. Needless to say I turned it down.

It's like beating a dead horse but y'all have thick skulls. And damn, use spell check bro.

AMS for life!!!!

AntiStupid, you touch on a ton of topics that I spend much time thinking about and after being a rifleman (or a minigunner) at events, I decided to step up and see if I could lend a hand. First off, national ops tend to have problems with command structure. As a practical matter, the challenge is bringing together complete strangers on a Friday night (or more likely Saturday morning) and getting everyone on the same page and moving in the same direction for two days. There are two approaches to solving this problem.

First, the organizer can keep the event on a tight leash, with scripted action points. This is great if you are looking to have an experience like a movie or an "on the rails" first person shooter. At the first Broken Home, AMS went with that approach. For example, I was a rifleman in a UFS company that was tasked with moving down a road at the bottom of a valley, made to wait until (we learned later) a CoST unit set up an ambush on the hillsides, told we could NOT leave the road to screen our flanks, and then marched into said ambush. We got hit, we charged into the ambush (as that is what you are supposed to do when you're basically screwed anyway) and eventually died gloriously. It was fun, frustrating, cinematic, action-packed, but obviously staged and scripted. The great part of this is that everyone sees "action." But the bad part is that this is more what is called in the UK "filmsim" staging an event to be like a movie, rather than milsim. In the military, no commander would send a troop wandering down an exposed valley floor with no strategic value (and without flank recon and security). The really bad part is that missions like this can't be "scored" easily. At the end of the day, the guys being forced into the bad tactical situation feel beat down, while the guys on the top feel like they were winners. But are they? Do the guys on top "lose" if they don't wipe out the entire squad? Do the guys on the bottom "win" if they kill some portion of the ambush party? If players don't care much about winning and losing that much, generally seeking only to go from one moment to the next, the scripted, on the rails type game works perfectly. However, some of us are competitive and don't just play for participation ribbons. 

For those of us that want to know if we won or lost, we get entirely frustrated when the op organizer takes the reins and marches us into that valley of death just to create a unique mission. We even get upset when they lead us over to a set position and tell us to wait for an ambush and turkey shoot (okay, maybe I'm fibbing a bit - I'll take any kill I can get against these high speed kids). We want to truly match ourselves, our squads and our teams against another and find out who is "best."  The best way to do that is for the organizer NOT to hold anyone's hand or to provide a scripted story-line, but to create a "real world" situation where the players, from the rifleman to squad leader up to the CO are given objectives and told how to accomplish them

However, to get those hundreds of people moving together on one side to "win" requires coordination and that can't begin on Saturday morning the day of the OP.  Top, a Marine staff sgt, who has been a CO at Lionclaws, AMS and other national and regional ops, has been the CO of UFS since the first Broken Home. After seeing the need for greater planning, Top began to put together a list of squad leaders that had distinguished themselves and put them in charge of platoons and companies.  He also sought out people to volunteer to fill basic staff officer roles, primary S-1 for personnel, S-2 for intelligence, S-3 for operational planning, S-4 for logistics, S-6 for comms, and, when needed, as S-9 to deal with civilians. So much airsoft and milsim "tactics" is based on squads, that everyone seems to take for granted or simply forget the extensive personnel devoted to the boring issue of supplies, intel, transport, and simple organization needed to get 200 people out to and moving in the field. Staff officer positions are awarded to the first person to bitch about something. Bitch about the roster? You just made S-1!   Wanna bitch about the lack of planning and organization? Welcome to being at S-3! Just ask Big Candy. :).  There are task that need to be done to get a unit ready and certain people in an organization need to step up and be accountable to get those things done.

On the UFS side, that group began planning for Ironclad in June, with the biggest issue being which of our long-time leadership would be able to make the trip to Mississippi for the event. We also reached out to players in Mississippi and attendees of former events at Camp Shelby to be on the planning team. Both the USF and CoST command had a conference call with AMS to discuss the objectives and general layout and overall plan, from which we formed initial plans. We did have to maintain OPSEC, as CoST has been alleged to have "hacked" our forums or otherwise secured OPORDs and other information. CoST does similar planning and has a similar command structure. 

I give you this by way of the background of saying that there was planning and coordination going into this event. We had recon teams observing and counting you guys in the southern downtown area (and now and then seizing a target of opportunity). We sent over several small fire-team and squad sized groups to reconnoiter the terrain and probe CoST defenses. You guys up in the hotel and in surrounding buildings thwarted any attempt by those teams to gain a foothold and the intel coming back made it clear that it would not be feasible to move a company sized element along those trails and coordinate an attack through the woods. We sent those patrols out every hour or so to see if CoST had shifted forces to the mosque, but to no avail. To the contrary, CoST pushed ambush teams into the woods, as a I learned when I turned over command to the XO and was tagging along with a fireteam to get "eyes-on" intel, as I wanted to confirm the difficulty of the task and got myself shot. Your guys in the southern downtown did an excellent job of frustrating our plans and that CoST CO Misfit had done an admirable job of holding us at along a defensive line that we could not breach. 

Absent a path through the woods to get to you we needed to secure building N and make a headlong assault on the townhouses to the north-west of the downtown section to get to you. Building N was contested even into Sunday, with some disagreement among the AMS staff as to who actually controlled the building at end of day Saturday. Range cameras had it empty and there had been UFS guys on the north outside and CoST on the south outside. Pre-game Sunday, Zippo, myself and Bo discussed the issued and hammered out a compromise, but it did leave N in CoST hands, until we stormed it yet again and pushed them out. Once that occurred, we were able to push up and into the downtown area, where there was some furious CQB action in the hotel, school and surrounding buildings. 

I'm sorry that you missed that and that you left the AO with a bad experience. A squad that follows orders and doesn't just disappear is the kind of asset that I would like to have on my side. As a commander, there are many different player type personalities that exist in airsoft. Sometime over a campfire, I would be happy to jokingly discuss with any of you those types, but frankly it might come across as whiny in writing, when what I really want to convey is that every type of player has a role in a well-planned op. The role of command is to find the right place for each type of player. I hope to be the BlackSheep event in January and perhaps we can discuss that in person.

I'm sorry to here somebody had a fit about a flag being backwards or actually not backwards, because it is supposed to be backwards, but not in conformance with military regulation. Frankly, guys like that are the reason that at other events, I would rather play OPFOR as Taliban or Balkan paramilitary or just civilian insurgent, because nobody has a melt-down if you don't wear the right black shemagh the right way or our speakers are blaring Ukrainian pop instead of Serbian turbofolk.  

But on the topic of command, somebody has to do it at a national event if order for there to be a true contest. There are trade-offs. I carry an MP5K instead of a minigun, but I do get air conditioned barracks, pay-per-view UFC championship bouts, single-barrel bourbon and pedicures at every AMS event. Oh wait, they haven't met any of my demands yet, but what I do I end up with is a learning experience of how best to get a few hundred men and women to complete objectives under demanding conditions and with severe limitations. When I see the bulk of those people there with me at the end, two days later, no matter what, I'm satisfied.  

Ok.. 

I don't get on here as much as I would like to but...Here it is.

Good Start Rick.. Well said partner.

Let's get one thing 100% perfectly clear. 

WE (AMS) very much appreciate the players coming out to IRONCLAD to support AMS. 

More importantly we like..... better yet expect nothing less than ALL of our players to voice their opinion on the event and give us ideas on how we can improve as well as thank us for what we DO do right.

With this being said I would ask everyone that is reading this to sit back.....take a deep breath and remember what we are doing here.

This is Airsoft/Milsim/BBwarz/roleplaying.. heck whatever. We are all VERY fortunate to be able to spend our weekend enjoying the sport/hobby and spending time with friends.

This event in particular was full of new players. New players to AMS games, Misim games, big games whatever you want to call it and I saw it all weekend.

I truly think for the most part as I was playing on Saturday and Admining on Sunday that the majority of these players that were making mistakes did them out of lack of experience not negligence.

Dragging- I actually witnessed it done correctly more than not. It is a new rule and even our veteran players make the mistake time to time in the heat of the fight and forget to go through the motions. I cannot begin to tell you how many people tell me how much fun they had being dragged and dragging. The ones I do call out that are doing it wrong you can see it that they feel bad they forgot or simply got caught. lolol

Dead Rags- This was a bit of an issue as people lost them or forgot to put them on immediately after being shot. Not doing this can cause a multitude of problems. It is imperative that these stay on you while you are walking back to the FOB etc. (whole other topic)

Eyepro- YES YES YES YES.. this is an issue and it's simply ridiculous how people will not wear full seal moreover where retaining cable around their head to make sure their eye pro stays on at all times. We are LAYING DOWN the HAMMER on this moving forward.

Admins- This is always an issue at events. We are lucky to have people come out and help us in this area. We (AMS) know that this is an area that we need to improve upon. I think every event promoter would say the same.

I MUST SAY that Sunday I was on the TOP monitoring all the action as Tan made one heck of a push and it was there that I lost my voice from yelling so much concerning all off these issues above. The good part about it was I just had this sense that the players were really trying to do the right thing as it was almost like they just got so caught up in the action that their old habits came out. (not dragging) (forgetting to pull dead rag out immediately) etc. 

I knew going into this event we would have a fair amount of new players that are not used to the rules and how our games play out.

Organization piece-   lol well .. lets put it this way. AMS was accused early on of intervening to much in the games. SO....we listened to our players and handed over the throne. Command has all they need to make the event a success. See... the thing is that it all looks great on paper but once the gun goes off to its like herding cats. 

Like I said the other day when someone asked me if there was ONE thing you could do in airsoft to make it better what would it be... 

I simply said "I wish that everyone truly knew the rules and followed them" . Can you imagine how great of a game it would be?

So look.. we work so hard on this company that most of you cannot imagine. We are not perfect by any means and we love nothing more than to listen to our customers and make changes accordingly.  As for my side.. I am getting blown up all morning from people telling me how much fun they had and how they cannot wait to come to the next game. 

Again.. let us remember what we are doing here and be thankful that we are able to have such freedoms and help make the sport better when we can and how we can.

Forgot to add this...

I was VERY impressed with the stamina and the relentless pursuit and patience of both teams. There were some GREAT firefights and movement to contact that was a joy to watch and be a part of and to those guys and gals you know who you are .. I loved it!!!

Silva

Danarchy, I appreciate your response and the intel, as we were unaware of most of the game's ongoings. As Butters said, we have hit this horse as much as we productively can, and I don't want to compare event organizations - they should be different, that is why I organized a squad and came out. I would recommend a simplified command structure where your CO stays in a room/rooftop looking at a map and talks directly to Sqls so he knows what is going on and who needs to be rotated, etc. As was said, command is not about you having a great game as a squad leader; it is team-centric. Either way, the guys that cash the checks should see if their customers are getting their money out of it - or just cut us loose to raid the villages. We can do that too!

The shit-for-brains power tripping Admin, Czar Bob, was just the icing on the cake after a long day sweating and then being told, by said shit-for-brains, that the small amount of intel we had was wrong and we had planned and prepared that night site for nothing. 

Frustrating way to spend your weekend.

Hey Zim CO of cost (that I am aware of). Never ran with QRF. Don't know where you got that bullshit from. But it's completely false. I MYSELF, didn't see him leave his original position at the mosque, at any point during day games on Saturday or Sunday. Not trying to make enemies or start an argument. Just stating what I saw, every time I went back to "respawn". That's the only thing you mentioned that I can elaborate on. I can assure you. Cost CO was NOT running around the AO with QRF

Guest Specs

My 2 cents. I'll keep this brief as there's already a lot of attention on this thread.

Command Structure: Command is a tough job, no question there. Confusion happens, and even moreso in a new AO. For many, this may have been their first time at Shelby. (Command included.) Add in many players doing many different things at once, and it gets quite difficult for command to handle, particularly as command might only be a handful of guys. There are just so many considerations and unique instance that you can't base command structure performance from a single OP. Communication is often the contributing factor, comms issues or not.

Admins/ Staff: The admins and staff have an even greater and daunting task at events. Sadly, making sure each and every player has a great time has to take a back seat occasionally to things like safety, and keeping the event moving so to speak. I'm no admin, so I can't speak to detailed about the process. But having gone to a few events myself, I can say that it's amazing just how many players they've managed to handle, particularly as of late considering how quickly the community is growing. It seems you hit an instance of personal conflict, which isn't a standard occurrence with any of the staff members I've had the pleasure of talking with.

Play/ Action: Milsim is a somewhat tricky topic when it comes to events. AMS is it's own blend, as I'm sure other hosts you've played at have their own way of doing things, so does AMS. Typically the event is a big game of attack and defend, but I'd say that's a big part of any real world engagement. It's the smaller goals and objectives that your command is managing during the course of the event that makes AMS events so unique. Not every squad get's those privileged special missions. I have also wanted to see some smaller goals spread to the other players. But if you aren't getting those, make some. Defending for 5 hours, while helpful to command, isn't a good use of admission fee. Mention your situation to command or squads around you and move on to something else. Designate a building you want to take, or follow other squads to assist them. 

AO Conditions: This is the big one. Every single event is so different. Having been to this single event, it'd be wrong to assume that the negative experience you had is the truth for all of them. This was AMS's first event at this AO. They've had yearly events at many other AO's for years now. Give those a try, and you might find them better run, as everyone is familiar with them. I'd imagine Ironclad will get better and better each year as most AMS events do. BH3 was an amazing event for that reason. (IMHO.) 

Well, since y'all are taking advice, I would say this....the most important thing to me and all of my teammates is command and orders.  We do not come to these events to just go run around and do what we want.  We can do that every weekend here at local events.

Command needs to give orders.  The CO needs to be sitting behind the cameras or what have you, giving orders to the PL's.  Who by the way should not be getting into intense fire fights.  Those orders should go directly to the SL's.  Our squad leader received maybe two orders the entire time.  Do we have to ask to get orders??  I guess I am just used to command really not even playing at these type of events.

And the safety stuff is a major concern.  That alone makes me not want to return.  My gun was shooting 1.9J after YOUR chrono said 400 FPS....not safe guys.  Most people out there don't chrono their gun twice.  I am glad I did because that could have hurt someone.

Well, since y'all are taking advice, I would say this....the most important thing to me and all of my teammates is command and orders.  We do not come to these events to just go run around and do what we want.  We can do that every weekend here at local events.

Command needs to give orders.  The CO needs to be sitting behind the cameras or what have you, giving orders to the PL's.  Who by the way should not be getting into intense fire fights.  Those orders should go directly to the SL's.  Our squad leader received maybe two orders the entire time.  Do we have to ask to get orders??  I guess I am just used to command really not even playing at these type of events.

And the safety stuff is a major concern.  That alone makes me not want to return.  My gun was shooting 1.9J after YOUR chrono said 400 FPS....not safe guys.  Most people out there don't chrono their gun twice.  I am glad I did because that could have hurt someone.

Actually, they didn't need to sit behind cameras, they just needed to get on top of a building and relay info to the other leaders about what they saw. I was on top of building 15 for most of Saturday relaying CoST movements over the radio and directing forces to cover and move to certain buildings. I wasn't a leader, I was a rifleman but I could see everything and figured why not let the team know what I saw. Most of UFS command I saw was in the back telling people on the ground what to do. Can't say I heard much over the radio but I saw a good amount of people without radios!  :blink:  Some of the command could have come under fire too. We had little groups of people all over doing recon and just stirring up trouble. Our PL was giving us orders when a group of CoST came up and started lighting us up! Command will get into fire fights but as long as they are still leading, I see no problem with it.

My group continuously asked command what the next mission was or where they needed our support. I don't know why you think this isn't ok. We finished a mission, eliminated an enemy or got eliminated ourselves, and after asked what our next orders were. Pretty standard stuff there...

Hey Zim CO of cost (that I am aware of). Never ran with QRF. Don't know where you got that bullshit from. But it's completely false. I MYSELF, didn't see him leave his original position at the mosque, at any point during day games on Saturday or Sunday. Not trying to make enemies or start an argument. Just stating what I saw, every time I went back to "respawn". That's the only thing you mentioned that I can elaborate on. I can assure you. Cost CO was NOT running around the AO with QRF

Fair enough. Again, we never met or heard from Misfit1 before or during the event, so I trust your experience. The reason we assume this is that is what he said before the event - that he planned to be up at the front of the fight leading.  We also had other players who were asking why their PL was up in the battle and not responding to their inquiries. 

Cool deal man, ( handshake ) lol. Just don't want misfit1 taking heat on something that didn't happen. All is well. Stay safe out there. Maybe next time everyone will be ecstatic with joy when they leave an AMS event as everyone should be, when departing any bb slinging wars lol. Have a good day man.

Actually, they didn't need to sit behind cameras, they just needed to get on top of a building and relay info to the other leaders about what they saw. I was on top of building 15 for most of Saturday relaying CoST movements over the radio and directing forces to cover and move to certain buildings. I wasn't a leader, I was a rifleman but I could see everything and figured why not let the team know what I saw. Most of UFS command I saw was in the back telling people on the ground what to do. Can't say I heard much over the radio but I saw a good amount of people without radios!  :blink:  Some of the command could have come under fire too. We had little groups of people all over doing recon and just stirring up trouble. Our PL was giving us orders when a group of CoST came up and started lighting us up! Command will get into fire fights but as long as they are still leading, I see no problem with it.

My group continuously asked command what the next mission was or where they needed our support. I don't know why you think this isn't ok. We finished a mission, eliminated an enemy or got eliminated ourselves, and after asked what our next orders were. Pretty standard stuff there...

Too bad when we tried to reach command, no one responded. It must have just been us!!

Guest Jarrado

It wasn't just you Butter. The whole comm system was jacked up. Incompatible systems/programming. I had cloned beofangs on 462.525 and couldn't contact other 462.525 at all. There were settings that jacked it all up.

I had no problem contacting HQ at blacksheep, they just didn't have much intel either. It seems to be a common issue. Info wins wars.

As this was my first AMS event, I state the following with the disclaimer that since I lack context from previous games, this might be SOP for these games.

I'll start with the "bad," or at least with what I found displeasing, and then list the good.

Delta Milsim Group was Squad 3, in Platoon 3.  Originally, we were Squad 1, Platoon 1- but the roster changed and we were never given any notion as to why.  Frankly, we never received anything in the way of command input.  Even the op-ord seemed sparse and censored for some bizarre reason.

There was a post in the secure forums to Platoon 3 Squad Leaders, but it started with  "i can not divulge to much information here."  If you can't divulge information on the secure forums, where can you?

In either case, we went into the game completely blind.

We arrived Friday, registered, and began looking for command after the first safety briefing.  We were able to find our Platoon leader, Alacon, who was only slightly less blind in regards to the game plan, and was able to give us a vague idea of where we would be starting.  JJ for us.

Saturday, we started as expected in JJ.  And then we sat there.  For the day.  Alacon and Phantom, our RTO, did their individual bests to get updates, but as far as I know they were nearly non-existent.  Alacon made a few physical runs to find more substantial orders or input, but to the best of my knowledge, we never got any information of value.  We sat on the fourth floor from start to finish, calling out enemy movements and positions over our assigned radio frequencies to the response of deafening silence and apparent indifference.  

Despite this, we held the building and with the help of a few other nearby squads we managed to repel multiple minor incursions from the NE tree line, mostly through EE and DD.  We held the section of the field assigned to us, shot whatever got close enough to warrant shooting, and enjoyed the musical stylings of MJ as "thriller" pumped through our PA systems.

I personally did not leave the field until late afternoon when one of our squad members took a tumble on a flight of stairs, fracturing her ankle.  ( At the time we assumed it was a nasty sprain, but having just returned from the radiologist, it is a confirmed fracture. )  I returned an hour later after making sure she was comfortable in staging.  Luckygirl limped back out to join us after a fashion, and the entire squad remained in position until end-ex.  

I did not personally partake in the night evolution, but the rest of my squad did.  Apparently without the rest of 3rd platoon, who had left.  We were not informed of their issues, or their departure.  Or the fact we'd apparently been deemed unworthy of support by command for our association with our assigned platoon.  

Sunday we returned to find that we were all that remained of third platoon.  We were told to hold the mosque, and did.  Even LuckyGirl returned after duct taping her fractured foot into a useable, load bearing stump.  (She's hard like that.)

The fighting was intense and rewarding, and from our perspective completely made up for the lackadaisical gameplay of the previous day.
If there was input from command, I was not informed.  As a SAW gunner I do not expect or even ask to be told of the higher workings- I just want to know which direction to post, and when to shoot.  I'm a simple soul; but even I noticed the lack of communication was a little disheartened.  

Fortunately, the UFS took brave steps to encourage me and paraded jauntily before my murder hole for almost five hours, awarding me many opportunities to test my accuracy by volume.  

I won't address the eye-pro issues, as others have said enough in regards to that abysmal situation.  There were a few IFF issues, players wearing dark t-shirts, or no tops at all, in addition to a few mismatched covers.  NBD, shit happens.

Now.. I've vented my bad, let me offer my positive points!

This was our first AMS event, and it was fantastic.

On Friday we arrived early, parking in a spot that was apparently blocking registration.  We were approached by staff and asked to move, which we did.  Then, we were approached and asked to move again.  Which we did.  :-)  A third staff member then approached us, and fearing the worst- we prepared to move again.  Instead he was just stopping by to introduce himself.  When he found we were planning to register and then leave for the night, he went so far as to provide us with yellow caution tape to mark off our area, suggesting it was prime real estate that we'd likely want to have in the AM.

This was the start of our positive interactions with staff, but hardly the last.

I won't drone on and tell you about each one, but needless to say, we were all impressed.

I've been playing airsoft for fifteen years, in multiple states and countries.  I've never been to an event where the staff was so polite, courteous, helpful, and damned friendly to newcomers.  Frankly, we're more accustomed to playing at other national events were the organizers treat us as if they're doing us a favor by taking our money.  ( Not that we don't LOVE paying to be uncredited extras in a crappy, straight to DVD promotional video. )

It was all we could talk about for most of Saturday- and we had plenty of time to talk, being marooned in the relatively isolated JJ.

As for being stuck in JJ, that could easily be counted as a negative, but we've played enough to know the game is exactly what WE make of it. Given the insufferable heat of the day, and the overbearing nature of the sun, we were grateful to be in the shade with a pleasant breeze.  We repelled a few pushes, and had a damn good time in the process.

Hit calling was another positive.  On two occasions I fired at players at the extreme outer limits of my range, casually discussing with my battle buddy the astronomical odds of not only hitting a player at such a distance, but of having them CALL that sort of hit.  Our conversation was interrupted in both instances by the players standing, removing their dead rags, and waving at us, or offering a thumbs up.  It made me feel like an asshole for doubting them.  How refreshing...

All in all, this was one of, if not the best events we've been to in our combined bbwarring careers.  We experienced very little in the way of conflict with others players, and as I've already emphatically stated were floored by the professional nature and hospitality visited upon us by staff and players alike.

I sympathize with those players who had a bad time, as I've been in their shoes more times than I'd like to admit- but from our personal perspective, it was a great game- even with the miserable heat, abandonment by our command element, and fractured foot.

The worst part of our weekend was coming and going- each taking sixteen miserable hours in a van.  Thankfully, we're back in Wisconsin now, were the temperatures are a soothing 70 degrees, and the sun feels further away than arms length.  

TLDR:  We had a blast, and we'll be back.

-Jonesy

Guest Jarrado

I'm still deciding whether or not to post my AAR. Its rather scathing at the moment. I will try to edit it down a bit and wait for my hot tempered personality to cool a bit. I am still boiling inside over some things. Namely safety and incompetence.

I know how hard it is to admin being one myself. They also need more game monitors to ward off cheating and I may have a way to help with that.

Safety. What 6 injuries? My bro polycarb lense was nearly shot clean through as I saw today as well as my regulator wasn't locked? What else? I never once saw a spot check and I was out there 90% of the game on UFS running all over the place.

Hello all.  I am "Czar Bob" as it were.I  My real name is Brad.  I never got the names of the gents involved with this but I do agree to an extent  I clearly owe your friend and you two as well an appology for the delivery of my message and escilation of the incident.  My intent in pointing out the flag thing was in no way meant to offend or start an infration.  It was just a simple "hey look" just as if his shoe had been untied. 

As for the flag......I will NOT apologize.  I stand by my statement.  That flag is NOT US Army issued.  Refer to Art. 670-1. 

Guys, my primary contact with this was your buddy being upset about changes.  If you recall, I asked him what was up and what I could do.  Obviously now, I can clearly see that he was far too gone into frustration for me to try and get it fixed.  I wanted everyone there to have a good time.  I really do.  I do have a reputation of being a hot head.  I'm working on that and getting much better.  I would hope that you guys can see that what I belive is that the chemestry in this action wasn't good and perhaps some predespission for anger before we even got there.  I hope we can all sit around and have a few and make fun of eachother for this. 

As for the vet thing:  I completely understand where you guys are coming from but just because your buddy is a combat vet, DON"T underestimate the people around you.  I sleep with my issues too, as well as millions of others. 

Semper Fi to all that apply!  I really did look for you all on Sunday to apologize but obviously not.

Thanks for your time.  Brad