American MilSim
Sign in to follow this  
Spook

4.5mm plastic BBs?

Just for giggles, I looked up 4.5mm airsoft BBs on ebay. Surprisingly, they make them, but is any maker producing an AIRSOFT gun designed to use them? 

One of you who knows his math, and of course BB weights, etc, would 4.5 mm BBs be safe if an airsoft gun was designed to shoot them? And what about using the smaller BB in say a claymore mine or booby trap (since claymores don't propel BBs at the speeds of an AEG or GBB) to increase the range of the claymore?

4.5mm airsoft has been around longer than 6mm.   I remember using them back in the 1970s in regular bb guns.   The main market these are intended for is standard Crossman and Daisy bb guns that usually use steel .177 bbs or lead pellets.  

I doubt that we'll see 4.5mm airsoft specific systems and if we do, I doubt even more that event hosts will be willing to allow their use since obviously that would involve the risks associated with some asshole just deciding to use a steel bb instead of a plastic one.  

I don't think 4.5mm would offer any particular advantage to mines or other applications.  6mm seems to cover that quite well.