American MilSim
Spook

Does the wearing of a plate carrier affect hit status?

I happened across an add on another airsoft venue for fake plates to go into a plate carrier. If you take a hit in the plate carrier (with the plates in) are you considered wounded/incapacitated? I've heard stories regarding what it's like getting hit, but I've never worn a PC and been shot wearing it, so I don't know. 

If the things I've heard are so, my guess is it still counts as a hit, but I'll because I honestly don't know. Some guys are starting to wear them at our field, so I'm wondering if the rules need to be modified.

Wearing a PC has absolutely NO impact on the survivability of a bb strike.  All it does is increase the likelyhood that they player will not feel the bb strike, and increase the amount of non-intentional cheaters.  This is offset by the fact that it makes a decently loud "Smack" upon impact, so if you're paying attention you will still notice.

So no, wearing a PC will not give you "body armor."

A resounding NO.  

There are a few events that recognize a difference between armor wearing troops and those who are going light, East Wind being one of them, but even at those events the rules generally preclude the use of "fake" anything since the idea is for there to be a trade off to choosing to not wear armor or a helmet.   There is a big difference between a ceramic plate and an empty shampoo bottle.  ;) 

I've seen maybe 6 guys in the past 4 years wear actual plates, or sim training weights (myself included).  It's not always easy to have people call hits as is; trying to enforce a legitimate bullet-resistant ruleset would be very difficult.

Most places that do a armor/helmet vs. non rule apply it to the medic side rather than just having guys able to shrug off hits.   (cause that's one thing this sport could use a lot less of) 

At East Wind for instance you cannot be mediced back if you do not have Helmet/armor.  

Guest Specs

Nah, false plates in plate carriers are typically just to fill them out. Using foam or nothing at all in the plate compartments of a PC just makes for a flappy platform.