AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
Greg.AMS

2014 Medic rules. No excuses!

MEDIC RULES

A. Each squad will be assigned only one medic. (Subject to change with various Teams and Squads)
B. A medic will treat a fellow player by going up to that player and bandaging the area where the player was hit
C. A player may only be bandaged TWICE.
D. Medic CAN NOT re-use bandages from "dead" players. 
E. A medic may not treat himself; only another medic can give them aid.
F. Players inside structures MAY NOT BE TREATED by a medic. If you are hit within a structure you are considered KIA and must exit the building and serve your bleed out at your nearest MASH unit or FOB.

G. Wounded players may be physically "dragged, carried, lifted, etc.." to a medic by any means that is NOT UNDER THEIR OWN POWER.

H. Wounded players are NON AMBULATORY.

I. All Players must have an IFAK on their person that contains TWO (2) ace type bandages for the medic to treat them with.(CAT of SOFT-T tourniquets are not acceptable)

J. Medics must WRAP the bandages around the players arm, they are NOT allowed to TIE or have pre-made loops in which to tie the bandage onto a player.

K. Bandages must be a MINIMUM of 4 ft (48in) in length each.

You can use any elastic type bandage.  That being said, the ACE type wraps will last MUCH longer then a regular gauze bandage, and will be much easier to roll up and place back in your IFAK when you re-spawn from a MASH or FOB.  Trust me, the ACE wrap is the better option.  I'm pretty sure you can pick them up at a dollar store.

Doc, I guess I did a speed read on your post and then typed my response.  I just re-read it.......Nice one:)

Guest Specs

One thing that might be confirmed is the reviving medic rule. Seems pretty black and white here, but I know that in previous events (BH3 included) that medics were able to be medic'd by any fellow team member. If that's not the case, that's all good.

If tying knots isn't permitted any longer, looks like I'll need to get some bandages with those metal teeth that bite into the material. I've got some of the self adhesive variety, but in particularly dusty AO's, they don't stick all that well.

It means that the player can not have knots pre done.  The medic is still to tie them after they wrap it.  Had some people that have them already looped and they would just pull it over the arm.  The idea is for it to disable the player and medic for a healing time.

If you're on the Dirka-Dirka team, instead of an ACE wrap, can you use a Gauza strip?

3504902-what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thum

MEDIC RULES

A. Each squad will be assigned only one medic. (Subject to change with various Teams and Squads)

B. A medic will treat a fellow player by going up to that player and bandaging the area where the player was hit

C. A player may only be bandaged TWICE.

D. Medic CAN NOT re-use bandages from "dead" players. 

E. A medic may not treat himself; only another medic can give them aid.

F. Players inside structures MAY NOT BE TREATED by a medic. If you are hit within a structure you are considered KIA and must exit the building and serve your bleed out at your nearest MASH unit or FOB.

G. Wounded players may be physically "dragged, carried, lifted, etc.." to a medic by any means that is NOT UNDER THEIR OWN POWER.

H. Wounded players are NON AMBULATORY.

I. All Players must have an IFAK on their person that contains TWO (2) ace type bandages for the medic to treat them with.(CAT of SOFT-T tourniquets are not acceptable)

J. Medics must WRAP the bandages around the players arm, they are NOT allowed to TIE or have pre-made loops in which to tie the bandage onto a player.

K. Bandages must be a MINIMUM of 4 ft (48in) in length each.

This is OUTSTANDING.  

MEDIC RULES

I do not see how that will be effective in a MOUT environment.  I also do not see the benefit or the realism in it.  

I think it is something to either A) explain further your thought process or B) refine.

Punish me for not being a liberal and breeching a room and getting shot after clearing half the floor. im shoot so i guess ill walk down stairs, across the field, find my FOB, and respawn....or let my battle buddy drag my ass into another room, secure the flanks, bring the medic up, get back in the fight.....i like second option

Current medic rules will make for a ton of humping it back to the fob. At least we don't have to respawn as a full squad. That would truly suck.

Current medic rules will make for a ton of humping it back to the fob. At least we don't have to respawn as a full squad. That would truly suck.

I actually think that is a good idea.  I have never been a fan of the constant stream of walking dead moving through the AO.  

I would be happy with holding back individuals until their squad is at the respawn area and they are back to combat effective.

And even doing away with the "bleed out timer".  You stay dead until a medic fixes you.  After the 2nd hit, you move to the respawn and wait until your squad is there to join you.

It would keep the "run and gun" moronic mentality from rearing its ugly head.

I actually think that is a good idea. I have never been a fan of the constant stream of walking dead moving through the AO.

I would be happy with holding back individuals until their squad is at the respawn area and they are back to combat effective.

And even doing away with the "bleed out timer". You stay dead until a medic fixes you. After the 2nd hit, you move to the respawn and wait until your squad is there to join you.

It would keep the "run and gun" moronic mentality from rearing its ugly head.

Yeah until I run through a door and get shot then the remainder of my squad rolls the building and is told to hold it and I'm left at the fob for several hours. I agree about squads needing to stay together and work towards a goal, but in the end I didn't pay to sit in the shade.

I do not see how that will be effective in a MOUT environment.  I also do not see the benefit or the realism in it.  

I think it is something to either A) explain further your thought process or B) refine.

Here's the thought:

Defenders already have an advantage in a building, when you add the fact that you can be bandaged two times, you effectively triple the advantage in man-power that the defending team has.  By taking away the ability to medic players inside buildings it makes for more of a level playing field when it comes to fighting for the buildings.  Not all of the game dynamics have been ironed out, but you shouldn't have to go too far to a spawn point.

Gotta say (and I know I'm not alone in this) I'm not a fan of the medic drag "rule" from a safety standpoint. If I get hit and my medic hauls me back across reasonably smooth ground, no biggie. But if I get tagged out on the building's second story or in a bed of sharp sticks, I'll limp my way out with the medic's "assistance". That slick ramp in the Church at Coleville is a perfect example of an injury just waiting to happen.

I don't think it ruins the immersion either. From a reality standpoint, anyone who's patched up enough to fight after the 10 seconds it takes to wrap a bandage is probably capable of limited movement to safer ground with some assistance from a team mate.

Anyone else on the forum agree or disagree? Sound off with your opinions guys, but lets keep it civil; I'm just trying to help find a balance for new rules coming out.

Anyone else on the forum agree or disagree? Sound off with your opinions guys, but lets keep it civil; I'm just trying to help find a balance for new rules coming out.

I also don't like the penalty to teams with clydesdales instead of waifs. Gives the youngsters an unneeded advantage. The exclusion of medics in buildings resolves much of the real the safety issues there, although the constant flow of dead in a CQB environ like Shelby seems chaotic. But, I'll reserve judgment.

Gentlemen,

Typically one of the main points of this type of game\SIM is teamwork. Staying and working with your squad through thick and thin.

Let's say I get hit inside of a building and thus considered KIA, I now have to report to the nearest FOB or MASH unit. So after serving my bleed time at the nearest spot, I start my trip back to join my comrades in battle, but have to traverse the battlefield in doing so. What's to say that immediately while making my way back, I'm hit again? Then on the next trip back, I'm hit again? Is this trip back going to be a free ride thru or do we have to negotiate the enemy lines each time? I can see this evolving into a lot of lone wolves out there trying to make it back to their squads. And if we do get free pass thru the lines to regroup, I have just collected valuable enemy intel to share with my side.

Note, Shelby MOUT for those of us that have played there, is spread out pretty good, but close and tight at the same time. There are going to be problems with trying to get any kind of FOB or MASH setup close that is not in someone's range.

If I was KIA'd in bldg. JJ and it were surrounded by enemy forces, it would be near impossible to re-join my squad in JJ if required to run the gauntlet of the surrounding enemy bldgs. without getting re-KIA'd.

I could be wrong. Maybe you can only rejoin you squad after they have all been hit. In that case I have to agree with another poster that I didn't throw in with this OP to sit in the respawn for what may add up to a considerable amount of time depending on the circumstances.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents.. Please help me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Guest Jarrado

EDIT: I will have to agree with Dread. The chances of making it alive back to your unit before they are wiped out is small. I would not allow a free pass as intel wins wars. Maybe vehicle drops? If not, then spawning as a squad is the way to go. The AO is just too close. Also, if the enemy takes certain areas, it will be literally impossible to simply fight your way in as the distances to the next avaiable building is bare with no cover whatsoever. A turkey shoot during the day. Some type of optional squad "insertion" behind enemy lines may be required.

Having played at Camp Shelby in Jan under the Blacksheep rules, I feel that as long as there are at least 2-3 respawn/FOB available per side it should be fine. 250+ players was not enough to cover even 50% of the AO because of the number of buildings. The area could easily field 600, but that would be "full" as you could 90% of the buildings defended. The actual size of the area was large, but only took me a few minutes to walk the breadth of the field at the longest point. Its size lay in the sheer number of buildings, floors/levels and forest surrounding it. We holed up in a building (for points) sometimes for as long as an hour with no action. Depends on battlfield flow. At one point during the night we were able to simply walk around and flip points on a whim, but I digress.

Generally in a building once people started to get hit, your medic could not get to them to heal them since the engagements were very very fast. Medics were more or less for getting your squad back to strength after an engagement. During offense, being able to heal your team mates during a push was key as you could "leap frog" your way forward if needed. If you lost both medics (@ BSM), you were "supposed" to go back to spawn. I did not like this, as there were times I was able to get my medics healed working with another squad that was close.

Either way, I plan to try and spawn together with my squad in waves, so we move out together at full strength. I'm not a fan of trying to track them down on a chaotic AO. Shelby is close quarters, so unless you know almost exactly where your unit is and where to insert, you will either walk through a kill zone and die or run into attackers and die. We had vehicles to assist this and that worked out fairly well.

As for my opinion I would rather be able to allow medics a 1 hit rule indoors and 2 outside. The problem with this is that the more complicated the rules, the more players will follow them incorrectly. The simple thing to do is to allow medics to heal anywhere and the attacker/defender can plan according. OR institute a "Squad spawn" or forced squad respawn after 80%+ casualties, 20% redconn.

I feel that there will be ALOT of "dead" walking to FOB/spawn. Maybe I am just overthinking it. Is there even a chance the rules will change again? If not, should we not discuss this after the event?

Here's the thought:

Defenders already have an advantage in a building, when you add the fact that you can be bandaged two times, you effectively triple the advantage in man-power that the defending team has.  By taking away the ability to medic players inside buildings it makes for more of a level playing field when it comes to fighting for the buildings.  Not all of the game dynamics have been ironed out, but you shouldn't have to go too far to a spawn point.

I would be more inclined to think that a better solution would simply be to drop the number of times you could "revived".  

As it was talked about above, I think there will be a large number of "walking dead" wandering the AO on their way back to a respawn, which will give a great advantage in that they will now know enemy position. With the quick spawns, and nearby points, chances are the opposition wont have changed location enough, which will make the info they bring back very valuable.  So valuable in fact that it will encourage the "suicide run" into a location simply to quickly die, walk back to respawn, inform others, and head right back out again.

The obvious solution would be to increase the "respawn timer", however that practice has classically proven to be *LESS THAN* optimal (to put it nicely).

Here's the thought:

I would say that yes defenders have an advantage....but refering to medics inside....the attackers would have also have a medic inside (in theory) so there really wouldnt be an advantage in that sense....both attackers and defenders could both medic back in 2 times.....sounds pretty fair on both sides to me...... i like the idea of letting medics revive inside.......seems more realistic!!!

The current medic rules have been used to great success at Camp Gruber for two Op Rebel Yells.  Also take note, that the drag rule does not count when hit inside a structure because anyone hit within a structure is KIA and not WIA.

i still think you should set your rules to be AO wide. changing the rules because it is harder to enforce in a building is just a bullshit excuse people provide to make life easier. medic inside a building and out. if you are wrried about cheaters, people cheat outdoors. and if your really upset, then clear the damn building like a man. pretty simple

T-rex must have been cost at rebel yell 2 lol am I wrong that at almost every ams game I have been to..and thats about all of them... that when shot inside you are KIA? I mean if you cant handle following these SIMPLE rules maybe backyard airsoft is more your speed.  Guys its easy, read the rules, have your teammates read the rules.  FOLLOW THE RULES you might not like them, to bad they are the rules.  I know I have personally called out guys on my own team for breaking them in the past. One bad apple can ruin a game for everyone else.