American MilSim
Sign in to follow this  
ttsupra98

Question on teams and what makes teams be Them

And if the title confuses you, then read up!

Alright, so I've a question for everyone here

What is your opinion on small(er) teams completely being integrated into a larger one?

Take for example-Small team likes to work WITH a larger team (seeing that one team has x-rules for them and the other does not), and they get blended in with them taking All of the sort-of "originality" out of what makes each team different?

Granted that when going to bigger ops, it Helps cut down on rostering to a degree (hassles of hoping to be in the same squad/platoon ect as they are)

*I* think its kind of a........pointless (best word I could think of here lol) thing because it leads to Everyone being the same.....

Let me know what you guys think on this issue

Thanks a lot!

-Avocado

(P.S. I'm not going to name any names here on the "issue")

I don't think it's so bad. who cares if you don't see those teams as being "unique". Being unique does not equate to being effective.

Is the smaller team now a more combat effective unit because of their partnership with this other team? if so, then it was a good decision.

if not, then it wasn't.

For example, my team has been on both sides of this coin: when we were a small team of 4 or 5 guys, we had some larger teams we'd fold in with for regional and larger games, and some of those teams were guys we played iwth often and while we didn't necessarily fit the mold of their organizational standards, in simulated plastic combat, we were both made better by each other's mutual presence. We've had some bigger teams we've teamed up with that this was not the case as well, we did not continue these partnerships. some people you just don't work well with, and you end up hindering each other's abilities. I'll call out some friends of mine here, Viper Tactical for example.

These dudes are all great guys, bunch of great players, but our styles of play don't mesh. I get super excited when I see we're on the same team at an event, cuz it means I know we have a high caliber of player, and if we have to team up temporarily, we can get some work done. but our team structures both have all of our bases covered to such a degree, that if we were to say, squad up, platoon up or whatever at a game, we'd really just end up stepping on each others toes, and we end up a hinderance to ourselves and each other, and ultimately our team at a given game.

Conversely: On the other side of that coin, my team is now much larger than it used to be, encroaching 20 members (we were over before some members left for college and what have you) and we have a much smaller team that runs with us almost exclusively, to the point that we kind of all just accept we're one unit, but for geographical reasons, we don't operate that way, Blackout Militia.

These guys, every bit as skilled as the viper dudes, but their mindset just gels with ours better, and because they're a smaller team (as opposed to viper, who at all stages of their growth have been similar in size to us at the same time period) they don't necessarily cover all the bases that need covering at once. Now, these guys can throwdown with any of the "top" teams, the youtube celebs, the guys everyone knows, but size becomes an issue. at the end of the day, you operate best with the guys that you know best, and when you show up to big events, sometimes being paired with dudes you don't know does hurt you, so we both decided mutually, it was in our interest to play together regularly after we teamed up for the first time way back at our first d-day game many years ago. I'm sure they agree that they are more effective with us, and I know for a fact that we're more effective for having had them, but for several different reasons we seperate our team identities. this doesn't stop us from being rolled into the same unit, I have had people ask me if I was blackout, or ask tweak and warthog if they were Midnight Riders, it happens, and maybe you lose some of your "uniqueness" but anybody on CoST this year that had a hard time breaking past the bunkers by coleville on saturday at bh3 definitely found out the hardway just how much better we make each other.

To answer your question in a short way: I don't think it's pointless. If it's mutually beneficial, to both the teams involved, and to the end goal of accomplishing your game objectives, then it's worth it to team up your teams.

In a sport full of blowhards nothing makes you stand out more than NOT being unique.  

Being the quiet professionals that actually get the mission done earns you a lot more respect than being:

"Oh jesus, it's those ding dongs again..."  

The only thing that I've ever seen be an issue in these cases are when you have a well organized team that works well together get assigned a few additional players.  I used to be a team captain for our team UAL, we don't get together too much, but we were around for about 10 years.  We hung out all the time and we meshed well together.  When we would have additional players assigned to our squad, I always felt like they got left out a little bit, because I could assign tasks, split the team, and not have to explain what I wanted.  They would break apart and move out knowing exactly what I had in mind.  Some of the other guys that got assigned to us would often move a little slower because they didn't know exactly what I had in mind.  That being said, we would try to keep them up to speed, but it often isn't the same experience as if they were with a group of people that they played with all the time.  They would often be found behind the rest of the team, with a lost look on their face.  But, usually a few hours into the event, they had either wandered off, or were pretty up to speed.  The only other option would be to have all of these individuals on one squad, which usually makes them even less combat effective. 

Guest Specs

Ozark Mountain has always had a certain pride in regards to joining up with certain teams consistantly. Sister or brother companies/squads are a great way to build relationships outside of your group, and better communication and cooperation in the field. 

Homogenization does take place somewhat, but that shouldn't affect the unique positions that your squad is filling by melding with other groups. 

Even when we have the downer of not joining squads we are familiar with, we see it as more a growing opportunity and getting to know a new (possibly even more effective) squad that meshes better with our SOP/gameplay.

^ What Specs and Alex said. Our guys always link up with a select few other teams for these events, and then each team operates as an individual squad inside that platoon. No loss of identify, no rules being forced on each other, and each team uses its strengths to better the platoon as a whole. Once we got comfortable enough as a platoon, we were able to bring in one new squad/team per op and add them to the fun. Works extremely well, as long as you guys have people that are able to coordinate it properly. Yet another reason not to burn bridges with any of your fellow milsimmers... you never know who you might have the chance to add in later!