AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
jonsteg

CoST Uniform Exceptions

"...Iraq the "Collation of the Willing" put 49 camo patterns on the ground in Iraq"

In IRAQ, not in a single spot in Iraq.    Iraq is a big place and for the most part the individual units were still working with other troops wearing the same uniform.   

Wait. Hold up. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." That leaves me with one more argument: How many people in your staff have read this entire discussion? Because I personally want to confirm that more than just Alex have read this entire discussion.

At a prior event, Woodland was the common camo.  But then came a Russian team, with this outfit. I have to say, I loved that they pulled a real camo patter that was wild given the sedate Woodland dominance. And when they hoped through a window, everybody said "look at the Russians make that window hop!". 

soviet_camo.jpg

It's been discussed, that's why we haven't said anything for a while.  It also goes back to as previously stated, Ironclad is set, the only things that will change the requirements are things that are out of our control, such as requirements from Shelby etc.  The rules and requirements stand for the time being. 

At a prior event, Woodland was the common camo.  But then came a Russian team, with this outfit. I have to say, I loved that they pulled a real camo patter that was wild given the sedate Woodland dominance. And when they hoped through a window, everybody said "look at the Russians make that window hop!". 

soviet_camo.jpg

Haha! That's great! They didn't get sent back or anything?

2450421.jpg

And remember, sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease and sometimes we do other things with squeaky wheels.  ;) 

In my opinion, sticking to your guns is a VERY important part of running a Milsim type event.  Nothing worse than signing up early for something only to show up and find that it was compromised away.   I drove to Chicago for an event once only to see that it had morphed into basically just another open play.  I didn't even unpack.  Just hopped right back in the car and drove home.  

Stick to your guns my brothers, compromise is the enemy of a quality event.  

Germany, Russia (sort of. They use their own version), Japan, Poland (if I remember correctly), Tibet (they made their own flecktarn camo before being occupied by China. They still use it today), and some other east asian nations. But to be honest, every country that is listed above have their own version of the camo, whether it be different colors or the amount of colors. But Germany is the best known country that uses Flecktarn because they invented it.

I didn't realize ANY of those countries were involved in AMS's story line.

"...Iraq the "Collation of the Willing" put 49 camo patterns on the ground in Iraq"

In IRAQ, not in a single spot in Iraq.    Iraq is a big place and for the most part the individual units were still working with other troops wearing the same uniform.   

That's fair. Just saying, in the real world many camos were in one war, and often more than one in a single AO. There is no "good guy" pattern or "bad guy" pattern required to make the event MilSim. There are ops that track the camo patterns to reality. This is not one. 

I didn't realize ANY of those countries were involved in AMS's story line.

Well you said countries, not factions. 

2450421.jpg

And remember, sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease and sometimes we do other things with squeaky wheels.   ;)

In my opinion, sticking to your guns is a VERY important part of running a Milsim type event.  Nothing worse than signing up early for something only to show up and find that it was compromised away.   I drove to Chicago for an event once only to see that it had morphed into basically just another open play.  I didn't even unpack.  Just hopped right back in the car and drove home.  

Stick to your guns my brothers, compromise is the enemy of a quality event.  

What event was that? I'd be pretty pissed to drive my way up to Chicago just to turn back around again unless I was Bob Seger in 'Roll Me Away.'

If you enlist in the CoST army, they have uniform requirements just like any other real Army in the world.  If the Coalition of Sovereign Terratories was fighting in Iraq, they would wear either Woodland , Marpat, AOR2, Kryptek Mandrake, Project Honor, A-TACS FG, or Solid OD.  Those would be the authorized uniforms.  There were plenty of US troops who thought that ACU was crap and we still had to wear it.  Most of these uniforms are also US patterns which is in line with the story line.  Project Honor is a camo produced by an AMS sponsor.  A-TACS I honestly don't have an answer for but it's there.

If you enlist in the CoST army, they have uniform requirements just like any other real Army in the world.  If the Coalition of Sovereign Terratories was fighting in Iraq, they would wear either Woodland , Marpat, AOR2, Kryptek Mandrake, Project Honor, A-TACS FG, or Solid OD.  Those would be the authorized uniforms.  There were plenty of US troops who thought that ACU was crap and we still had to wear it. 

Then what about those Russians that Zimm mentioned?

I don't remember the name of the event but I do remember that the serious guys who stayed wished they had followed my lead.  The good news is the 500 mile drive home was easier for me since I was just annoyed at the event planners, the other guys were annoyed at EVERYTHING by the time they left.  

I doubt that Zim saw KLMK at a AMS event.

Then what about those Russians that Zimm mentioned?

I'm not going to lie, I can't exactly speak for that.  I don't know which event that was.  That being said, there have been many rules in the past that were not enforced very well.  Along with checking Chrono tags and spot checks and also full seal eye pro, many of these rules are being more actively enforced.  I don't have an answer for you.

I don't remember the name of the event but I do remember that the serious guys who stayed wished they had followed my lead.  The good news is the 500 mile drive home was easier for me since I was just annoyed at the event planners, the other guys were annoyed at EVERYTHING by the time they left.  

I doubt that Zim saw KLMK at a AMS event.

Correct, it was a 24 hour Blacksheep event at Camp Shelby.  I'm pretty sure it was MilSim, but who can tell?  ;)  

Didn't mean to imply it was an AMS. Just talking about camo.

Hmm... well I can definitely see something like that going on with this type of an event, but tell me this: if someone were to get into this event with a different camo, and was found out until mid game, how would you guys handle that? Not saying this is what I'm going to do, because I doubt I will be going to this event seeing how you guys don't want to see Flecktarn in the CoST's camo allowances. Trust me, I'm just curious.

I would not bet that your squad leader would let you.  

No correct camo?  Come back when you have the right camo, till then I have no time for you.  

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be making the event.  Historically when we find someone in violation of rules or requirements, we ask them to leave the field and correct the issue.  It would be pretty obvious that someone is not wearing the correct camo before the game begins on Saturday.  It might be that we just need to make a bigger deal prior to the events about what camo is authorized for the event.  I hate to ask someone to leave especially when they have come so far for an event, but rules are rules.

I would not bet that your squad leader would let you.  

No correct camo?  Come back when you have the right camo, till then I have no time for you.  

Well I am the squad leader. I'm just curious. Trust me, I know how it feels when someone decides to do something their way when it's already be set in by your rule, but seeing a european milsim event that hosted up to 4,000 people, I just wonder how they handle these things.

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be making the event.  Historically when we find someone in violation of rules or requirements, we ask them to leave the field and correct the issue.  It would be pretty obvious that someone is not wearing the correct camo before the game begins on Saturday.  It might be that we just need to make a bigger deal prior to the events about what camo is authorized for the event.

Alright, thank you for the honest answer. I guess I will be back on my quest to find another Milsim event that my team and I will be able to attend. Hopefully next year when we have more camos we'll attend another AMS event.

Alex, way to stick to the guns. My opinion is simple.This "war" is an american war that does not involve outside forces in the battles. Neither military wears those camos. ATACS was originally a special forces only squad camo from what I remember and then it became art of the regular uniform pool, as for kryptek i believe. They are still american camos, many police depts use both so the forces in theory could be police units who have been absorbed into the military. This is a milsim event, just like you have all said. There are very specific rules. If this event was centered around america vs germany, then the camo would make sense. Not an american camo, not on the list. If we add flektarn, then we must add pencott, russian red camo, russian blue camo, british DPM ect ect ect......I am sorry to see that a simple uniform, while not always so simple, is keeping you from attending. You are missing out on a great event that does not just happen. Rules are there for a reason. Now I would love if we shrunk the list down. Get rid of atacs and kryptek

Alex, way to stick to the guns. My opinion is simple.This "war" is an american war that does not involve outside forces in the battles. Neither military wears those camos. ATACS was originally a special forces only squad camo from what I remember and then it became art of the regular uniform pool, as for kryptek i believe. They are still american camos, many police depts use both so the forces in theory could be police units who have been absorbed into the military. This is a milsim event, just like you have all said. There are very specific rules. If this event was centered around america vs germany, then the camo would make sense. Not an american camo, not on the list. If we add flektarn, then we must add pencott, russian red camo, russian blue camo, british DPM ect ect ect......I am sorry to see that a simple uniform, while not always so simple, is keeping you from attending. You are missing out on a great event that does not just happen. Rules are there for a reason. Now I would love if we shrunk the list down. Get rid of atacs and kryptek

I would say something... but I don't want to come off as a douche. But I will say this: don't try to encourage them to take off more camos, because for all we know, you're probably going to decrease the amount of people able to go, just like as you saw here in this thread.