AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook. ×
American MilSim
AMS Forums set to ARCHIVE MODE (POSTING DISABLED). These forums will be used for historical reference, otherwise you can find the AMS event pages located on Facebook.
Sign in to follow this  
Uriel113

Gun hits and "blind fire"

I have reviewed the ruleset and did not see anything about gun hits or blind fire. Now from experience I know that gun hits generally don't count and blind fire is forbidden, but since nothing was on the ruleset page and this will be my first OP with AMS I was curious how you guys handle such things. Also on the topic of blind fire I have a mirror device that allows me to see around corners without exposing myself. Is that allowed or not? Link to said mirror system http://www.evike.com/products/39616/

This is in no way official, so take it with a grain of salt. That mirror system is just a way to game rules. Eliminating blind fire, forces people to expose themselves. To prevent people camping like bitches.. Hell if I could sit behind cover expose only my weapon and force people to attack me... PLATOONS would not be able to pass one man doing so. Its a bitch move, a cheap tactic, in this game.. Real life? I would be ALL about a cornershot device.. This is a game. A game where HONOR is stressed. Not bitch tactics.. You allow such things, every one will get one, no one will play, It will be constant bitch camping. No one will have fun. And milsim/airsoft will fold. We are all here to have fun.

As for the gun hits, regardless of if a field says gun hits don't count? I role play as it at least disables my primary. It gives me a reason to carry a primary ( after the 0 med was introduced, its the only way I can justify the weight, along with its a whole lot of fun pistol killing people)

I do see your point, but I certainly don't see equipment like this ending airsoft. It isn't as effective as it seems. Trust me I have used it on many occasions. What I have found is more than anything it helps me not get shot at point blank from guys around the corner. People really don't surrender kill where I play so it is helpful for that. As well as situations when you are pinned and cannot move/fire back because a guy with a highcap is holding down the trigger. Has it's benefits and its drawbacks, after all it is just a piece of equipment. If you are not good it will not help you. Just wanted to know what the admins think of it before I bring it out and look silly. Thanks for the input though. :)

Under the section of "Sportsmanship, Honor and Fair Play" of AMS Ruleset:

"Blind fire: Shooting around corners and not being able to see where your BBs are going is not allowed."

This is a grey area in regards to your mirror system and I will get it clarified for you, also you are correct and the gun hits is not addressed.  I'll get that clarified and posted to the rule set as well.

Thank you very much for your time in considering this matter. I must not have reviewed the ruleset as thoroughly as I thought. I will have no trouble at all if it is decided it is against the rules as it is only equipment and should not be value so highly. 

Guest Specs

If you are firing your weapon, your eyes need to be down your sights. Nuff said.

As for the mirror, it's only an object/tool, so I'd say it passes. 

Definition via Urban dictionary #01: The term referring to the act of operating a firearm without looking at what one is shooting at. Often used in times of pressure from a location of cover or away from the line of enemy fire.

this is just my opinion, if he is using a mirror, he in fact "looking" at what he is shooting at. I think it should be checked at Chrono to see if it in fact does what is claimed, but I say it nulifies the blindfire rule.

again just my opinion

How about we all just be men and look our enemy in the face and shoot them

Sounds great. So no grenades, right?

We use blind-fire rules to prevent accidental close shots by not seeing your target. But we also rule a gun out if it is shot. So the mirror does not offend me in general.  At Shelby, however, there are so many corners that this is a real advantage if the gun is immune to fire.

The gun may be immune to fire but my hands are not. I still have to hold the weapon out and find my target and then fire. It takes long enough for someone to hit me in the hand. Plus the fact that it sucks to get shot in the hands so ya. I feel that the punishment and the reward are pretty equal. Like I said if the admins say no. That's fine with me I want to be sure.

I think for milsim it should be in place but for average games no. Also some sort of "medic" system for the weapon or like a cool down time. It would be interesting to see that happen as very few people actually ever switch to their sidearm unless made to. 

Guest Specs

Let me iterate on my previous point. The mirror would be fine for LOOKING around corners. Never said you could use one AND fire around a corner. That's of course blind firing as it means you aren't looking down your sights.

The mirror attaches to the sights. You have to see your target to hit anything just like if you were looking down sight. So being able to see your target means it is in no way blind fire. Chances are as soon as you point it around the corner there will be 5 or 6 guys shooting at you so it is not as useful as you think it would be, but like I said it does have its advantages.

My two cents only add up to using A mirror ( not weapon mounted ) to peak corners. One person could at least suppress an entire flank using this tactic with no chance of being taken out. From one stand point this is great , from another it grinds the GAME to a halt. I'm sure we all can see both sides and have our or opinions about what is best. While I like your ingenuity , I don't feel it has a place in airsoft milsim.

The mirror attaches to the sights. You have to see your target to hit anything just like if you were looking down sight. So being able to see your target means it is in no way blind fire. Chances are as soon as you point it around the corner there will be 5 or 6 guys shooting at you so it is not as useful as you think it would be, but like I said it does have its advantages.

It's more of a situational awareness issue.  Were going to make the decision for the time being that these devices are not permitted to be used at AMS events.  Primarily because we currently feel that it will violate the blind fire rule.  The second part to that is were not going to allow it because it may give the impression that someone is blind firing, and will take a required level of management out of the game that we will not have to worry about.  That being said, please keep discussing this because we may alter our ruling in the future.

someone stated the blind fire rule is also used b/c it makes the person "almost immune" from being taken out.

w/o the mirror, you have to expose at least part of your head/body which could get you killed.

w/ the mirror, your target area is almost negligible and you could keep cover fire down almost indefinitely grinding the game to a near halt.

while the mirror does have its place in a "milsim" environment, Im not sure if it does in an "airsoft" environment.

again just my opinion.

I completely agree. That is why I wanted to ask. At my field it is a lot smaller so everyone knows its ok. The game management issue is definetly something that makes it unusable. I could see people getting into tons of arguments with me because they will think it is blindfire, and an admin cannot always be their to resolve it. So for sure the mirror stays home. Thank you so much for your time in helping with this matter.

but pulling a saving private Ryan with a mirror, gum, and bayonet (or other stick like object) to check around a corner is okay right? so long as there's no weapon involved (except of course the bayonet that you just fixed the mirror to)?

I think it would be useful to "look" around the corner. just make sure your not firing with it. :)

unless you think you might accidently fire with it.

The point is that you should not point a weapon around a corner without your face being behind it.  You can stick a mirror around a corner, just as long as it's not attached to a weapon.

Sign in to follow this