American MilSim
Sign in to follow this  
otang

How did you find your PC or chest rig?

I replicated my plate carrier from my first tour in Iraq. It was pretty cool what us MI guys got when we were attached to some high speed units :) As for the layout... trial and error.

Before you ask, the admin pouch on the chest does take some getting use to, but I wouldn't go anywhere without it now.IMAG0699.jpg

I have one of those admin pouches as well. I don't run it very often but it does come in handy when your the guy in charge and you have a lot of the responsibility of keeping up with everybody on your team. Looks should really be a low priority in Milsim. If it is functional for you and helps you accomplish the mission F$@k the Haters! LOL.

Guest Specs

Though I haven't been in the sport for more than a few years, my current rig has been built up based on trial and error. What's moving around too much, where should weight exist and where it shouldn't, what allows for the most movement while staying functional, etc. Also, in my case, what leaves bruises needs to change. So in my case running the sniper role, gear on the front in prone position caused a lot of discomfort and difficulty reaching gear. So that prodded me to move in a hydro/belt/harness system combination with drop leg platforms. 

But that's what I find the most interesting about peoples gear. It's not how much it costs, it's how it's all arranged and combined to reflect a unique player's needs. All a learning process.

Hours and hours of research.  Really came down to what fit my plates, what was the lightest, and what was was the most cost effective.

I needed a plate carrier. Bought a $10 POS either at TA's or AirsoftMegastore. Ran with it for a while, liked it well enough, then quickly got tired of not having anywhere to stow my gear AND BBs hitting me in the side (It was modeled after a Police vest). So I waited and saved, tried out a few of my buddies' rigs (both airsoft and real steel) and then snagged a Pantac plate carrier in ACU (I was running ACUs at the time.). It has side-flaps and plenty of MOLLE real-estate, it's lightweight, and it's comfortable. A few pouches and patches later and BOOM! Still running it to this day.

I went up to people wearing stuff that looked good and asked what their thoughts were, and where they got it. If someone had real gear I would ask my resourceful friends who makes a good replica.

Then I look on the Facebook groups to buy used gear so I can sell it at a decent price when I want to move on.

I knew I wanted a PC over a chest rig for the chest and back protection; as I mostly play cqb. So I just looked around until I found one that had the coverage and could fit a big guy. It also had to be inexpensive as I only started playing this year. I used google less and more looked at reviews on youtube after finding something I liked the look of on evike. I did not have any local stores when I first started building my loadout where I could get gear but now there are a few places. So I had to do most of my shopping online.

As for my pouches I also made sure my PC had none sewn in because I knew I would be moveing everything around after every game day.

At this point I am rather happy about how I have everything arranged between my PC and battle belt. And I dont care what people think about it but 90% of my gear is Condor and it works for me.

*disclaimer: I can't tell you the name,brand,model of most my gear as it has never been important to me and I don't really pay attention to these things when I buy them.*

We'll my setup is by no means complete yet. I started off with an old/used molle vest I got from my local surplus store. I liked it well enough but it lacked protection, being a cqb guy this is important, and it had a lot of frayed edges and looked kinda trashy...of course taking and mounting just any hand-me-down pouch/ holster I could get my hands on, from tan to digi marpat to 3 color desert on a green vest didn't help much. About two years ago I traded it back to that store for a new rig. A modular chest set, made by condor I believe. Has built in AR mag pouches and hydration pack. I've added a couple pouches ect to it and am happy with it. My biggest gripes, no matter how I adjust it it makes some noise when running and it's slow to donn or remove. I currently wear my ranger vest under it for the shotgun shell holders and utility pouches. post-2868-0-19187300-1458629006_thumb.jpeg

I wanted a PC for flexibility and started with Condor gear.  For newer players, I would always recommend starting with Condor - decent quality gear for the price until you decide that Airsoft is something you want to dedicate your time/dollars to.

From there, I now have an AWS Inc. 'operators choice' PC which is a replica 6094.  Good good quality kit for the price (less than $200) with good customer service.  I think I found out about from the AMS forums, I think somebody had posted a link to it and I fell in love.  I think they might have received a C&D from LBT or something cause instead of 6 columns across the front, it has 7..which is (no pun intended) odd.

Guest Specs

^^^ Agreed on Condor as a decent starting point for any new player. Makes no sense to throw down tons of cash on a piece of gear you might not like using. Replicas are always great for testing before investing in quality.

I've posted in this thread before, but it's been some time and I've gone through gear preference changes since then. This might make a good learning record for new players as well, and show that some of us more geared players didn't just jump into our most recent setup from the get go. As a sidenote, I first started AMS events in 2013 with RY2, so the following has taken place between then and now. 

-edit- It occurred to me that I didn't list my retailers! 1st kit was mostly GI, 2nd kit was mostly Evike, 3rd kit was CB Shooter Gear and Amazon, and the current kit was CB Shooter Gear as well. 

1st Kit - Battle Belt/Light Pack/Harness/Sub-loads Combination - This was my first kit, and was built around a spring sniper platform. (SVD for anyone that cares to know.) This kit was meant to be light, and leave my chest completely open for extended play in the prone. I kept most of my mags in grenade pouches on my sub-loads, so that when on long periods of overwatch, I could detatch the sub-loads and lay them at my side for easier access. This was practical for the time, but replica gear quality couldn't hold up to the rock and concrete I moved on and around at events like RY. I do still sometimes miss this kit, minus the sub-loads. (I've since grown to hate things strapped around my thighs.

2nd Kit - Battle Belt/Micro Chest Rig - This kit was a response to a lack of molle space, and a new weapon platform. (An AEG SVD variant.) This required more mags, and additional space for my first round of comms equipment. Since this was a shift to a DMR role, I ran with a squad much more closely, and didn't remain in the prone near as much. This setup was great, other than my water setup, which was on the back of my belt. (This left bruises on my hips, and moved quite a lot when moving.) This setup didn't last long either, as I wanted to shift to a pistol belt with minimal load, and move most pouches up to my torso. The chest rig didn't have the space.

3rd Kit - Pistol Belt/JPC - I stuck with this setup through the end of 2015, and I still have it for CQB areas. It was nice to have front, back and side molle space and really gave me placement options I didn't have previously. The plates were also nice added protection, though that wasn't a consideration in switching to a PC for me. However, over time, this became hot, and somewhat claustrophobic for me. I also tended to overload it, due to the excess of molle real-estate. (Those of you others out there that have tons of stuff on your JPC are completely missing the point of the JPC's design.) Ultimately, it was the heat that shifted me to my current kit, but I also quickly became overwhelmed with my pouch placement options. This might seem like a weird problem to have, especially when I thought I wanted this space previously, but I was constantly changing my PC layout. And even with all the changes, I just couldn't seem to settle on something I loved. I also had trouble fully shouldering my rifle, despite the swimmer cut, likely due to my small size. The pistol belt however has become a favorite gear change.

4th Kit - Pistol Belt/1961g - This is my current kit, and will see use throughout 2016. It's important to note that I'll be shifting from my previous SVD to an AK platform, so there is a mag size and number difference. I missed how light and minimal a rig could be, but still wanted the space for things. I also wanted the option to wear the rig over a PC, and to occasionally pair it with a 1-2 day pack. Reece setups were a big inspiration as well. The 1961g has been the perfect transition and immediately felt comfortable, practical and extremely versatile despite its fixed pouch layout.

I think that as a new player, fixed rigs weren't a consideration since I couldn't "set them up for my preferences". However, I've come to realize that some of these classic rigs that are still in use today, are being used for a reason. The pouch configurations work damn well for a wide range of people and setups, and continue to get some modern updates. The 1961g was designed to fit over armor, can be worn AND integrated with a pack (has QD buckles on the back) and is both minimal and has plenty of storage that is mostly out of the way. The mag pouches also have flaps that can be tucked in or used, so depending on how much security you want, or how quickly you want access to your mags, you're good. I've also come to love the split rig front. Unlike most PC's (without mods or doffing kits), This rig takes seconds to remove, and you can also leave it open in the prone for both comfort and easy mag access to either side. Its 2 radio pouches can even carry sidearms if necessary or additional mags. I can now easily shoulder my rifle, and the straps give me plenty of routing options for comms cables and hydro. My pistol belt has been lightened even further since I no longer need a sidearm for MED. I still have a small dump pouch if I need it, but with my mag pouch flaps flipped in, it's easy to re-index spent mags inverted, so I likely won't use it. My double grenade pouch on the belt still remains for easy bandage access to medics. (Marked red as well.)

Attached photos for reference to anyone that's curious. I'm open to any questions regarding my rig setup as well. The hydro tube has since been routed through the elastic retention on left side strap, unlike this image.

1001015_843467262465893_5723151799927698

524782_843467272465892_32043486324889855

---------------------------------------------------

I've mentioned to many new players the importance of gear research, beta testing in many scenarios, and expecting growth in yourself. Hopefully referencing my past learning curve and the time spent for me to realize what sort of preferences I have developed over time can help some of you in need to speed up that process yourselves. 

Many new players are also prone to the fear of empty molle space. I find a great mindset to have (if you are prone to this) is to go with something more minimal, and push yourself to condense and minimize to meet your given space. Your back will thank you later. This is something I've learned in downsizing my backpacking gear to ultralight gear, as I now use a daypack sized pack for 2-3 day'ers.

Edited by Specs

Guest Specs

I think they might have received a C&D from LBT or something cause instead of 6 columns across the front, it has 7..which is (no pun intended) odd.

That pun was on point!