American MilSim
The Rick

Broken Home III Official AAR

Trying to avoid getting suckered into a debate.  But ok... since sarcasm wont do... ;)

In airsoft, I'm a fan of less rules, and a more common sense approach to solutions.

In this case, where low to no min engagement distance rules are well known and stated before the event.  I'd expect people concerned with close shots to wear additional protection.

The debate is a good thing though...it gets us to answers. :)

I agree with the less rules.  Some people don't have common sense...as in the sniper that shot me point blank range too.  That is why most venues have a min engagement distance to mitigate those kinds of things.  I am a fan of rules that keep players safe.  Common sense isn't a commodity that is seen all the time on the field...I am sure we can agree to that :)

In this case, you are absolutely correct, there was no min distance, and I should have planned accordingly.  Had I got shot there, it is my fault for not being prepared.  In the future, I would like to see a min engagement rule added.  I am about less rules, but in a game where the admins preach realism, is it realistic to wear a full face mask everywhere?

If the rule isn't changed for next year, no biggie, I will adapt.  As an admin myself, I am all for rules that help players stay safe. I think this would help that, but if I am in the minority so be it.  You make a good point about protection, but if I can not wear a full face mask, then I would rather not.

I once was all about the 20ft min engagement distance and the complete safety of players. However I also believed players would have common sense and not shoot or switch to a side arm. I believed in unicorns too... I know that BM and MRR will ALWAYS shoot low even if a primary is the only way to get the kill. We have called safety kills before and the other guy chose not to take it and fired anyways. We have also gotten shot by creeping up on people. With AMS it is part of the game. Too me it does INTENSIFY the game and adrenaline knowing you could get shot like that but it is at the cost of safety. However the safety kill is more of an HONOR based than Safety req with this GAME (AMS Ones) I think it boils down to the operators, and trust me when you have this many NEW people at an open , this type of thing can happen and will for the most part. I think ZH was just being cute - its his personality (IE he has been around and probably seen everything atleast once. I am sure SAFETY is on AMS top priority list , but this is what we sign a waiver for .

If you've got the other guy dead to rights and he isn't smart enough to take the safety then he knows what will happen to him.

I play at a cqb field where they have eliminated the MED. There are fewer arguments, fewer complaints, and game play doesn't get interrupted nearly as much. I've seen a similar change in AMS events since the rule change at RY2.

And there has been no increase in quantity or severity of injuries.

Face pro us highly recommended for adults and required for minors.

When someone does take a close shot it is generally into gear, not skin. Safeties are offered (but not always taken).

I think the rule change has improved game play, both at the aforementioned cqb facility and at AMS events.

Thanks Tweek and Hack.  You guys did a good job at summarizing what would of been my responses.

Common sense, isn't.  The guy who coined that phrase, Voltaire....  did you know he was also a complete tool?

Anyway, Common sense is derived from common experiences.  AMS hasn't always followed a no med, semi only ruleset.  Give it time.  Peoples common sense and experiences will become smarter.

Thanks Tweek... your kinda cute too.  No homo.

Thanks Tweek and Hack.  You guys did a good job at summarizing what would of been my responses.

Common sense, isn't.  The guy who coined that phrase, Voltaire....  did you know he was also a complete tool?

Anyway, Common sense is derived from common experiences.  AMS hasn't always followed a no med, semi only ruleset.  Give it time.  Peoples common sense and experiences will become smarter.

Thanks Tweek... your kinda cute too.  No homo.

Anyone who quotes voltaire is a complete tool.

Love ya buddy <3

And tweak's mini-cooper was kinda cute. no homo.

Overall I had a good time at OBH. Cost command staff was the reason it was fun for me. I was able to operate under an actual functioning chain of command that issued orders based on commander's intent rather than requiring missions to be spoon fed from the admins.These guys put in hundreds of hours and were paid nothing, many thanks to them.

I've seen much squabbling on the topic of vehicles at the event and I'd like to touch on that quickly. 

To the players: Read the rules. Know the rules before you step on the field. If you don't like the rules set by a game, don't attend the game. Each and every one of us has a vote of what event promoter we think does the best job and that's by purchasing tickets. Attending an event and complaining about the rules makes no sense. Everyone has their favorite vehicle ruleset - mine is the one used at Eastwind, but I don't demand that everyone adopts it.

To event hosts (not just AMS): Please enforce the rules you have set up. If a player or group of players cheat throw them off the field regardless of how much money they have spent. Even if they never return you'll lose less money than if they are permitted to take the fun away from countless others who will then not come back. The way cheating is handled is a major factor in whether or not I attend a game.

To end on a positive, many thanks to the admins. You guys were overworked and overheated - thank you for your help. Lastly, many more thanks to Cost command. You guys made the game for me. Look forward to running with you again in the future. 

I didn't know where to put this so here it is:

(1). I miss the Squad Respawn rule. I came to BH3 to play airsoft with my friends. Once we started taking hits, folks went the MASH unit, respawned and returned to play. We quickly got split up and scattered. I would rather respawn with my friends and stay together.

(2). The COST FOB placement was nothing short of sadistic--a long walk from wherever we were shot, rest and reload and then a hike up a long, steep hill to even return to play.

(3). Finally, Sunday drop-offs made no sense. Why not just drop off players at the locations their teams held, rather than at the team FOB? I wasn't the only one left scratching my head. For COST, that meant a long, uphill hike just to reach our starting points.

This is not take anything from UFS. UFS was ALL OVER. The first day, I saw AMS Admins appear to hold up UFS at the airfield. That seemed to be the only thing preventing UFS from swarming COST's FOB and finishing the game before Saturday's End Ex.

1) Does everyone else share this opinion (with squads getting split up)?  That would be pretty sucky.

2) It would have been in a better position (nearby) but that fence kinda screwed us over.

3) Off top of my head, only one platoon per control point was allowed, so some platoons held ground and the rest were slotted for assault.  The deuce drivers did not want to drive up to the FOB because it was a PITA to turn around (again, that fence screwed us) so yall were able to start at the bottom of that hill.

Hope that clears some things up.

Yes, it was easy to get split up from your squad during respawn; but easily rectified by the squad itself making the decision to walk out together.

ON the topic of getting split up from your team - Its VERY important before the game if you want to stay with your squad, you should create a rally point for your guys if you get separated via squad structure.

When you get cutoff from the mobile respawn point that's where communication from the dead may come, yes your dead you cant talk to live folks, but if your dead find a respawn and get back into the fight. I know the Technicals on UFS side were very forward in getting the dead back to the respawn and then getting back out in the field to bring more wounded and dead back into the fight. Like mobile mash units per say, and that was up to your command staff to get that accomplished. IF that aspect of the game is not happening you as an individual must push through that and cardio before game, I humped almost 20 miles personally within the two days. I got rides as well , but as a sniper I was able to fall into ANY UFS unit and provide a supporting role , as well as continuing to complete my missions, I would help on a push but after that push I took it apon myself to continue mission. as a rifle man that is homeless you would have that option as well, yes that's initiative. If your group is not there request permission from the local squad Lead or guys at the respawn and move out with them and rejoin your squad or find them. This type of thing is expected , and Actually helps you to make MORE friends and meet people, you may just find some more like minded squaddies to run with. That's how I have met so many people from ALL over the US playing these games. Your game is what you make it. I can't stress this enough , and after a few of them your game will be awesome because you learn what works and what doesn't. If something is not working DURING the game, approach your support staff and command staff. First time I met TOP - I interrupted him during a squad brief , It was an oh shit moment but after words I think he realized I was trying to get shit done. That was at OKI6 before AMS , and since then I think every time he hears of me, Tweakranger or Blackout militia or Midnight rider recon, he gets that we are getting shit done... Of course now I think if he hears the Dirty 3rd of UFS he will know who is amassed in that group cause we knocked this one out of the park.

Quick note: I absolutely agree that it is critical for units to stay together. Team, Squad and Platoon command structures become completely useless if their units are scattered all over the field. That translates into higher command structure also becoming useless and the loss of any type of control/strategy of the force.